The "Shouters"

D

Deleted member 15344

I think in the instance we all saw yesterday, the Woods one, the player should be able to re-take the shot with no penalty. Should be a simple enough rule to bring in. Why should the player be punished for that?

Not so simple when you then have players claiming they then get distracted by all sorts

Noise around a golf course happens both intentionally and accidentally, plenty of times over the years players have had all sorts distract them

Then you have the US Tour encourages it at the Waste Management

First they need to get rid of that - it doesn’t encourage people to watch or play golf , it just encourages people to get smashed and then shout all sorts at the golfers - remove that and then the crowds don’t see it as acceptable

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
A friend was watching and there were a lot following Woods and that’s where most of the morons shouting were , he said you could hear them all over the golf course and you knew when Woods had played with the shouts after - makes Molinaris round even more impressive. The shout on 18 was poor and he should be kicked out but Woods should have been happy as it helped his drive stay straight

It’s the sort of behaviour you see at each us event and they even encourage it at that drinking fest at Phoenix so the idiots think it’s the Norm

You don’t see it at he British Masters or PGA or both the Irish and Scottish Open

I was up at Carnoustie on Friday and Saturday and for the most part it was all very respectful, over both days I was there, I only heard one shout of "Mashed Potato", there was a lot of "Get in the hole", which is kind of becoming acceptable when around the green, but you still got the occasional shout on a tee shot.

I would say the majority of the shouting came from the Americans, I was stood next to one on the 18th and he yelled at every US player and none of the European ones.

I would definitely ban booze. Once the sun came out, a lot of people lost interest in the golf and were there for the beer and getting smashed. Coming out of the toilets one very drunk American nearly fell down the stairs, he couldn't walk in a straight line.

Kevin Na shouted at one spectator on the 14th as he'd addressed the ball 3 times, but people were ignoring the marshals and walking across the fairway as he was about to play, then the 3rd time, this lass sitting on the grass to my left opened a bag of crisps on his back swing, again someone drunk I dare say, as she had 3 pint glasses stacked.

Those drinking must have plenty money, as if the price of the burgers were anything to go by, the price of a pint of Stella would have been ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 16999

Ah yes. So thousands of paying spectators can be denied a beer because of a few idiots :thup:
Have you ever heard the shouts at the beginning of the day?
I’ve experienced it both in Europe and in the States and the longer the day goes, the more alcohol is consumed, the more behaviour goes downhill.
Yes it’s draconian, and yes I love a drink, but you can’t have it both ways, if you allow people to drink to excess you must accept it will alter the behaviour of some, a tiny minority, but it’s that minority spoiling it for the majority.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you ever heard the shouts at the beginning of the day?
I’ve experienced it both in Europe and in the States and the longer the day goes, the more alcohol is consumed, the more behaviour goes downhill.
Yes it’s draconian, and yes I love a drink, but you can’t have it both ways, if you allow people to drink to excess you must accept it will alter the behaviour of some, a tiny minority, but it’s that minority spoiling it for the majority.

Ah so to save spoiling it for the majority you'll spoil it for the majority :thup:

Make it known they will be kicked out.
Kick them out.
Only thing spoiled then will be for the minority. The idiots

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I was all over the course yesterday and there were an awful lot of boozed up punters as well as people enjoying a beer and behaving well.

I was also standing about five yards to Tiger's right when the guy shouted - It came from the hospitality above the 18th tee, it was very loud and clearly timed to try to ruin his drive - Not sure if it was the same guy who then shouted more abuse at Tiger with an Irish accent as he looked up at where the noise had come from.

In four days I didn't hear many shouts after/during shots, a few get in the holes on par 3s and one mashed potato from around the bar at the tented village on Saturday - All with British accents - the American's I heard shouting were as players walked after the ball or off tees - giving Tiger encouragement as were most of the crowd.

In general the crowds were very friendly, had a few photography enthusiasts ask me questions as I hiked around and lots of people appeared to think saying 'Ooh that's a big one' when they spotted my 400mm lens was funny.

D

Deleted member 16999

Ah so to save spoiling it for the majority you'll spoil it for the majority :thup:

Make it known they will be kicked out.
Kick them out.
Only thing spoiled then will be for the minority. The idiots
It’s too late kicking them out afterwards!

Maybe start with limiting the timings of alcohol sales at events.

We can’t have it both ways, all people entering any sporting event can already be thrown off the premises for bad behaviour.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It’s too late kicking them out afterwards!

Maybe start with limiting the timings of alcohol sales at events.

We can’t have it both ways, all people entering any sporting event can already be thrown off the premises for bad behaviour.
Yes, obviously. It's rare anyone gets booted out though isn't it

Limited timings might work or those hell bent on getting bladdered might just consume quicker

What happens at The Masters?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
What happens at The Masters?

You get a list of "do's and don'ts!" Including not bringing food or firearms in! If you transgress, you would get your badge taken away and kicked out. If you are on a travel company trip, you sign a waver for them to debit you about £5k if badge not returned. If you got one in the ballot, they have all your details so yu'd never get another one, if it a Memebers' one, they are too well-heeled to do that sort of thing!

It also doesnt attract the sort of casual idiot that can get into other events..... although plenty of cheap beer available all day, never has any issues...

And besides, this is "Southern States USA.... goodness knows what the local fuzz would do! :whistle:

Last edited:

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was all over the course yesterday and there were an awful lot of boozed up punters as well as people enjoying a beer and behaving well.

I was also standing about five yards to Tiger's right when the guy shouted - It came from the hospitality above the 18th tee, it was very loud and clearly timed to try to ruin his drive - Not sure if it was the same guy who then shouted more abuse at Tiger with an Irish accent as he looked up at where the noise had come from.

In four days I didn't hear many shouts after/during shots, a few get in the holes on par 3s and one mashed potato from around the bar at the tented village on Saturday - All with British accents - the American's I heard shouting were as players walked after the ball or off tees - giving Tiger encouragement as were most of the crowd.

In general the crowds were very friendly, had a few photography enthusiasts ask me questions as I hiked around and lots of people appeared to think saying 'Ooh that's a big one' when they spotted my 400mm lens was funny.

Could have been LP !,,!!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Shouters are getting a bad rap at the moment because they are a victimised minority by a holier than thou bunch of traditionalists. Look at football or rugby. Its shouters, chanters, booers, cheerers non stop. And the game goes on quite fine. The players dont stand and glower at a spectator because the were shouting as they played a pass. Golf could be the same. The Palestine guy woundt even have been heard yesterday if everyone else was making enough noise. Better atmosphere. Less perception of it being an exclusive game for stuck up fuddy duddies. More fun and attractive for everybody. Attract more people to enjoy watching and playing the game. MASHED POTATO !

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
During the recent fun tournament, was it golf 6's?, there was lots of noise. One of the golfers was asked about that but they said constant noise and cheering was fine, it was random shouts that caused a problem. Makes sense.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
No because otherwise we'd never recognise Phil the Fragger if we arranged to meet him somewhere. We'd never know which one was him ;-)

I have an image to protect :)

actually having been to the last 5 H4H days plus the days before and the last 2 Auld Pharts meets, Mariners meets and the Irish Craic Classic (4 years ago) etc im not exactly invisible :)

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
A friend was watching and there were a lot following Woods and that’s where most of the morons shouting were , he said you could hear them all over the golf course and you knew when Woods had played with the shouts after - makes Molinaris round even more impressive. The shout on 18 was poor and he should be kicked out but Woods should have been happy as it helped his drive stay straight

It’s the sort of behaviour you see at each us event and they even encourage it at that drinking fest at Phoenix so the idiots think it’s the Norm

You don’t see it at he British Masters or PGA or both the Irish and Scottish Open

Not quite true Liverpool phil. At Close House last year there was a bar which overlooked the 17th green and the walkway to the 18th. As the day wore on the comments to players from this area became less funny and more personal as the beer flowed.
In particular ask Sergio Garcia his veiw.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not condoning the shouting, but these guys should be in the zone and concentrating on hitting the shot and not distracted by noises as such. There will always be knobs at sporting events regardless.

I'm sure if no one took any notice, people wouldn't do it.

Colin Montgomery was the worst, he could get put off by a butterfly landing 20 miles away, so he would make it worse for himself by his reactions to anything.