The future of Belek, Turkey

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in 39 degrees last month on the Monty. Had a buggy, about 100 bottles of water between the four of us, and it was surprisingly okay.

We were out in La Manga in June and it was 34 degrees on the Sunday and we played the West Course on foot. Challenging but not impossible. Tee times are both before 0900.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love the place. However, wont be going back until the current crisis is well and truly done and dusted. Hope the Turkish Open still goes ahead as I played the Carya back in March this year and was looking forward to see the pro's go around there.

For me, Belek is golfing nirvana. The National is just awesome.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Being not far along the coast from Syria, I fear that Belek's days are numbered as the large resort it currently is.
I don't think that's really an issue. (Cyprus is closer to Syria than Belek is). It's also a long way from Istanbul, and hardly strikes me as a likely terrorist target. Loss of tourist revenue is a more likely reason for any decline.

I was out there late April/early May staying at the Cornelia Deluxe. It was certainly quieter than in previous years, but the hotel had a reasonable number of guests, and my wife & I were still paired up with other players for all but one of our rounds on the Faldo course. We played with people from Germany, Sweden and Switzerland. On a couple of days we even had to wait for buggies to become available. So I don't think things are as desparate as many here are suggesting.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was in Belek last December, one of the staff told me visitors were down massively, including significant numbers of Russians who may or may not return now.

Being not far along the coast from Syria, I fear that Belek's days are numbered as the large resort it currently is.

Belek is over 350 miles from Syria as the crow flies and the ban on Russian tourists was lifted a fortnight ago. As for going there, I'm booked for September and unless the Foreign Office advise against it, I'll be going. There have been more terrorist attacks in France than Turkey in the last year.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My mate and his family's flight back took off just as the coup started.They didn't know anything about it, until they arrived home.
He said the resort was very quiet so no rush for sunbeds . He was down south about a 12 hour drive away from the trouble.

He's booking up again for next month £250 for a week all inclusive.
He is a non golfer.

Last edited: