The round from no where

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A few mates I played with last year who joined a different course called me today to see if I fancied a round.
So I decided to go out, they are 9,12 and 20 handicappers. I always felt a bit of pressure playing with them but I soon relaxed as we played pairs and I had drawn with the 9 hcp.
There was no handicap for me or the other high man. :D

Got of to a good start with me winning the first 2, then as usual I stuffed on OB on the 3rd. We had a great round with me playing very well - the 9hcp'er played very poor as he has forgotten how to hit an Iron. By 15th hole we where 5 down :(, by 18 we where 3 down I won all our holes and I was the only one to get a birdie - which happened on Par 4 SI 1. (thanks to that tree :D)
I have just counted it up and I shot a 87 - 16 over this is the first time I have broke 90 EVER!!

I have a handicap of 27.3 but honestly have been strugling to play to it as my driving and general tee shots have been very poor.

I am hoping to play a small stroke competation this weekend - hope the form is as good, but as ususal I will probably fall apart when I have a card in my hand.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great stuff, ken
sometimes it just happens, usually when you least expect it. But you know you can do it now, and next time you have a dog of a round remember that somewhere inside there's a man who hit 87 and will do it again one day.

Here's to the next time!

AliB

Gazzery

Club Champion
Visit site
Well done Ken, i shot my first 89 a couple of weeks ago and an 87 on Wed so i know now i can repeat it an it wasent a fluke.
My Hc is now down to 23.2 from 28 and the way i try and play the course has changed i try and give myself the chance of a good score on each hole, and dont try to make a spectacular shot every time and on wed the front 9 i hit 6 greens from the fairway with my 2nd shot which gave me so much confidence, so keep at it mate and them low scores will keep on coming

welshjim22

Head Pro
Visit site
Well done Ken.
Had a simialar experience yesterday scored my best round after rough first few shots, scored 82 on a par 64 course. The thing that got me was on the 16th and 17th hole which are a 260 yard and 300yard par 4's i smacked two dead straight drives and according to my estimates i reached 270 yards and 290. Distance checked and confirmed by google earth. Thankfully it was quiet because my 270 yard drive was cutting the corner on a slight dog leg and then cleard the next tee and landed on the verge of the green behind. Felt the setup was better and the swing smoother but i normally drive 220 maybe 240 on the rare shot. All in all handicap dropped again to 22.3.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done Ken, thats excellent news, and just to echo the previous comments, you know you can do it now so the pressure comes off.

Also, what i Hear and read alot is something along the lines of 'I suffered today because my driving was poor' or 'if it wasn't for my driver my scores would be lower' and it seems to always come from high handicappers. So... have you ever thought about leaving the driver in the bag, or the boot if your brave enough and going with your 5 wood off the tee instead? that or your 4 iron?

I often leave the driver in the bag for the first 4 holes and use only a 4 iron untill I am warmed up and know my swing plane is correct. Then I will pull the driver out and generally the results are better by miles!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great shooting. As I have reiterated on here though try playing it as a par 90 (par 5 per hole) and it really will take the pressure off and I'm sure will help you score in the mid 80's more often