The right thing to do ? Or not?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the penalties are different for some things
e.g you tee off from the yellow rather than the whites. what's the correct way.forward?

All I would care about is the stableford score being right. So the stableford way.

They can toss a coin at the start of each hole to decide the matchplay result if they want, it wouldn't bother me. Or they can play to the stableford rules and see who wins.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Compromise would be to stay in the stableford and replay the matchplay. Then whoever lost the original give the other player a walkover. Not strickly legal but a sensible compromise.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Scenario A : 2 players are playing in a medal AND playing their club matchplay.

They are playing at a good pace, and after player A hits his ball stiff from 120 yards, they both realise that player B is 130 yards away so he definitely wants player A to replay the shot and is well within his rights, in matchplay, to request that.
Buy they're playing the monthly medal, player A can't just hit another ball for no reason as his playing out of turn was accidental and is irrelevant in the medal.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Scenario A : 2 players are playing in a medal AND playing their club matchplay.

They are playing at a good pace, and after player A hits his ball stiff from 120 yards, they both realise that player B is 130 yards away so he definitely wants player A to replay the shot and is well within his rights, in matchplay, to request that.
Buy they're playing the monthly medal, player A can't just hit another ball for no reason as his playing out of turn was accidental and is irrelevant in the medal.

There's a pretty basic solution to that scenario; player B gets over it because he wants to play in the medal and play his match.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haha! I take the point on the differing rules, and in some situations it would be difficult.

I just take the view that so long as the stableford score or medal score is right, I don't mind if they use that round of golf to decide a match.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
With so much discussion around falling numbers and lack of time etc, maybe this rule should be looked at.

Although the rules as they are shouldn't be ignored, it would make perfect sense if 2 busy guys, who can only play once a week, are allowed to play in a strokeplay, under strokeplay rules, and play their matchplay at the same time.

Probably most people play informal matches within their group anyway as extra sidebets, so as long as the rules were amended so that all strokeplay procedures must be adhered to, what would be the harm in using the scores to also work out the matchplay winner?
In my scenario above, player B has waived his right to ask player A to replay the shot as they have both agreed to pay the medal (credit canaryyellow ).

Last edited:
G

guest100718

if you can't find time to play a singles match you shouldn't enter the competition

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
if you can't find time to play a singles match you shouldn't enter the competition

Well that's easy to write, but in reality, and in the age of trying to encourage more people to play, it wouldn't hurt anyone if the rules were looked at.
Personally I probably wouldn't agree to combine both because I love the psychology of matchplay, but I wouldn't have a problem with the rules allowing others to do it.

G

guest100718

Well that's easy to write, but in reality, and in the age of trying to encourage more people to play, it wouldn't hurt anyone if the rules were looked at.
Personally I probably wouldn't agree to combine both because I love the psychology of matchplay, but I wouldn't have a problem with the rules allowing others to do it.

c'mon you can tee off at 6 and get 18 in. and there are shots I'd go for or be forced to go for in matchplay that I wouldn't in stroke play
while it s a nice thought it just isn't practical

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
c'mon you can tee off at 6 and get 18 in. and there are shots I'd go for or be forced to go for in matchplay that I wouldn't in stroke play
while it s a nice thought it just isn't practical

I agree that it wouldn't appeal to me, but if 2 guys both agreed under a local club rule, I wouldn't begrudge them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't have bothered me 1 iota either
No harm done
Nobody died
It's a game

Golfs too complicated for the average human being to comprehend

It's a game

Too many stupid rules

Hope it modernises or it will probably die before I reach retirement

If you said this to some of the younger people I know who play they would tell you to mind your own business

I'm with you two 😁

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely a rule for the sake of having a rule for me. Surely if both players follow the rules of strokeplay, and both agree to it beforehand, then what possible harm can come? Its another one the R+A need to look at.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure I'd be best pleased if I pitched up for a comp and found the other 2 players in my group playing a match.

I know our secretary will allow a tee slot in a comp to be allocated to knockout match if the comp is not fully subscribed, which is common sense. But they are not part of the competition.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure I'd be best pleased if I pitched up for a comp and found the other 2 players in my group playing a match.

I know our secretary will allow a tee slot in a comp to be allocated to knockout match if the comp is not fully subscribed, which is common sense. But they are not part of the competition.

If you were in a strokeplay and they were just playing matchplay, and you were all playing together for the sake of everyone getting a tee time, definitely that would not be right.

However if all of you were playing under medal conditions and they just kept a match score running alongside that, any problem?

TomTom

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Definitely a rule for the sake of having a rule for me. Surely if both players follow the rules of strokeplay, and both agree to it beforehand, then what possible harm can come? Its another one the R+A need to look at.

The Rules of Stroke Play and Match Play are different.