the right knee ??? confussing

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
hi all, i thought the right knee in the back swing had to stay flexed and this is something i seem to struggle with but in this latest issue of golf monthly Justin rose states how in one of the diagrams his kept his knee flexed but then one of then top 25 coaches shows how to hit sweeter strikes and has clearly got a straight right knee in his diagram.
any ideas whats going on with this???

confused.com

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
hi all, i thought the right knee in the back swing had to stay flexed and this is something i seem to struggle with but in this latest issue of golf monthly Justin rose states how in one of the diagrams his kept his knee flexed but then one of then top 25 coaches shows how to hit sweeter strikes and has clearly got a straight right knee in his diagram.
any ideas whats going on with this???

confused.com

cue S&T discussions.....together with a discussion on why a fully loaded unflexed knee is locked whist an unloaded unflexed knee doesn't have to be.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
flexed knee helps promote a shallower angle of attack, ball striaight left knee a steeper angle, hitting down on the ball a la stack and tilt, i believe.

don't think think their is a right or wrong answer but i buy into the flexed right knee argument.

one thing i have noticed the pros that do seem to straighten their right knee on the back swing do flex it again at the begining of the down swing when they squat/load into the ground, i guess thats why i prefer the right flexed knee approach. It's one less movement to worry about on the downswing if its already flexed, as a amateur it takes out the risk of failing to unlock the knee leading to a choppy swing

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
flexed knee helps promote a shallower angle of attack, ball striaight left knee a steeper angle, hitting down on the ball a la stack and tilt, i believe.

don't think think their is a right or wrong answer but i buy into the flexed right knee argument.

one thing i have noticed the pros that do seem to straighten their right knee on the back swing do flex it again at the begining of the down swing when they squat/load into the ground, i guess thats why i prefer the right flexed knee approach. It's one less movement to worry about on the downswing if its already flexed, as a amateur it takes out the risk of failing to unlock the knee leading to a choppy swing

I understand that we want the flex to promote a shallower angle which helps to get us behind the ball, creates power and gets higher ball flight so why on earth would you want to get in front of the ball at impact ? Unless your playing in a hurricane ;)