The Queen

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
But I don't think they queue for 12 hours or more to get into Hampden Park or Ibrox, as far as I am aware :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I wouldn’t queue at all to get in those places when I could watch the same quality football on my local rec on a Sunday morning ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do the maths! Any more in the time available and they would have had to be running through the hall! Works out at about 38 mourners per minute - more actually as there were frequent stoppages for change of guard, "VIP's" etc.
When I was watching on TV people seemed to be spending about 4 seconds each adjacent the coffin, and in an idle moment, I worked out how many I thought would get to file past in the time available. With the file going both sides that worked up to about 180k in 4 days. So obviously they were going through rather quicker than I thought so as to get 250k through. Hats off to those who organised it - and double hats off to those who endured the queue.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think I'm yet ready to say goodbye - downloaded When Paddington Met The Queen and have watched it more than once...:love:

More people watched two football matches - seriously hilarious!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I would love to know how they compiled that figure.

I was surprised that only 250,000 people filed past the coffin.
Thought that it would be a much higher number.
Celtic and Rangers playing at home on the same day have about 120.000 spectators on one afternoon.

And half of them are confused about where they are?

Last edited:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Perhaps the debate about the costs, rights, wrongs, future and other aspects of the monarchy could be dealt with in a separate thread?
This thread was mostly respectful until last night, could we keep it that way please.
The Queen died, many people mourned her death, it would be nice if that could be reflected here and those not wishing to do so, just refrain from posting.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Perhaps the debate about the costs, rights, wrongs, future and other aspects of the monarchy could be dealt with in a separate thread?
This thread was mostly respectful until last night, could we keep it that way please.
The Queen died, many people mourned her death, it would be nice if that could be reflected here and those not wishing to do so, just refrain from posting.
Spot on.
???

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I was watching on TV people seemed to be spending about 4 seconds each adjacent the coffin, and in an idle moment, I worked out how many I thought would get to file past in the time available. With the file going both sides that worked up to about 180k in 4 days. So obviously they were going through rather quicker than I thought so as to get 250k through. Hats off to those who organised it - and double hats off to those who endured the queue.

They were passing the coffin for most of the time in four separate lines [queues].

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think I'm yet ready to say goodbye - downloaded When Paddington Met The Queen and have watched it more than once...:love:

More people watched two football matches - seriously hilarious!

I never said that.
I am a bit of a numbers freak and I thought the 250,000 number was a bit light [still do] that's all.

My original query/comment was about how they compiled the 6.1 m figure quoted.
Seems like someone just made up a number.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
They were passing the coffin for most of the time in four separate lines [queues].

Just to correct you there. Day 1 there were two lines - one either side. Each person stopped to pay their respects. Day 2-4 there were 2 lines either side into the hall BUT each person still had the opportunity to stop and pay their respects facing the coffin - not facing the person adjacent to them in the queue.

Not even sure why I'm bothering correcting you as you'll see what you want to see and criticise anything and everything that happens South of the border. I find it rather sad and must be exhausting harbouring such bitterness constantly.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just to correct you there. Day 1 there were two lines - one either side. Each person stopped to pay their respects. Day 2-4 there were 2 lines either side into the hall BUT each person still had the opportunity to stop and pay their respects facing the coffin - not facing the person adjacent to them in the queue.

Not even sure why I'm bothering correcting you as you'll see what you want to see and criticise anything and everything that happens South of the border. I find it rather sad and must be exhausting harbouring such bitterness constantly.

Amanda I think you need to check what I have written on this thread and calm down a bit.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Do the maths! Any more in the time available and they would have had to be running through the hall! Works out at about 38 mourners per minute - more actually as there were frequent stoppages for change of guard, "VIP's" etc.

Exactly! How DfT thought that a meaningful comment, I don't know. The queue was constantly moving and there was never a lull. It was as many as could pass the catafalque in the time given ( in the orderly and respectful manner in which it was done)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Exactly! How DfT thought that a meaningful comment, I don't know. The queue was constantly moving and there was never a lull. It was as many as could pass the catafalque in the time given ( in the orderly and respectful manner in which it was done)

If it was 38 [according to Pants] x .5 and 2 for much of that time, then that changes the numbers.
Still think it was a lot more.

With that numbers man is out of this thread

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
People see what they want to see.
I see that populations in our own country and others, both recently and throughout history, are easily manipulated by the established order to its own ends. Very often, not to the best of outcomes...

Personally, I don't think many people I've come into contact with over the last few weeks who've given any considered thought to the matter think that our constitution and political structures have anything particularly to recommend them.

If we were starting a constitution from scratch, the one we have wouldn't even make the first cut. I don't think a single one of those democratic countries 'admiring' us over the last few days think "I wish we had that". And for good reason.

Basically agree with this.
However, though I am a republican in the sense of what kind of government I prefer we had, I have to make a few comments.
She was the Queen.
Kings and Queens throughout history can be good or otherwise. They have opportunities to be idle, mollycoddled, hedonistic, with little thought for their subjects ( as they see them). But just do what they want.
This Queen clearly was not one of those. Sure, she was rich and lived in luxury, but she was always there when called upon to be. She was a decent , proper living person who took pride in her duties.
( How many of us have said, God, have I got to do that now? I sure as hell don't feel like it..)
Same with her no doubt, but occasions and people to be seen were there to be dealt with. Duty called and she was there doing it.

As for King Charles. The man was burying his mother in the full gaze of the Nation and beyond. His every move was being observed. He had days of
Scrutiny,a and throughout he had to keep his dignity etc.
At the Committal towards the end he nearly lost it. How he didn't , I do not know. When the lone piper played, I tell you, I did.
Monarchist or republican, if you weren't moved by that, then I pity you.
He did better than 'Well done"

And the pall bearers. Throughout they had such a responsibility which they would have been so aware of. Young men displaying the highest discipline.
Well done !

Any debate about pros and cons of Monarchy can wait for a week or so, can't it? This is not the week for it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Quite superb photographs of yesterday in the Daily Telegraph, taking advantage of their broadsheet format. I shall most certainly keep it as a memento - adding it to the pile of newspapers I have collected over the years on memorable days or events.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Basically agree with this.
However, though I am a republican in the sense of what kind of government I prefer we had, I have to make a few comments.
She was the Queen.
Kings and Queens throughout history can be good or otherwise. They have opportunities to be idle, mollycoddled, hedonistic, with little thought for their subjects ( as they see them). But just do what they want.
This Queen clearly was not one of those. Sure, she was rich and lived in luxury, but she was always there when called upon to be. She was a decent , proper living person who took pride in her duties.
( How many of us have said, God, have I got to do that now? I sure as hell don't feel like it..)
Same with her no doubt, but occasions and people to be seen were there to be dealt with. Duty called and she was there doing it.

As for King Charles. The man was burying his mother in the full gaze of the Nation and beyond. His every move was being observed. He had days of
Scrutiny,a and throughout he had to keep his dignity etc.
At the Committal towards the end he nearly lost it. How he didn't , I do not know. When the lone piper played, I tell you, I did.
Monarchist or republican, if you weren't moved by that, then I pity you.
He did better than 'Well done"

And the pall bearers. Throughout they had such a responsibility which they would have been so aware of. Young men displaying the highest discipline.
Well done !

Any debate about pros and cons of Monarchy can wait for a week or so, can't it? This is not the week for it.
The period of mourning ended yesterday when she was buried , I don't see any issue in debating it. As for a life of service , she had no other choice really, our monarch is purely ceremonial so not sure why else you'd expect her to do.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes please
If anyone wants to do a separate thread to debate the future of the Monarchy, then feel free
Can we keep this thread for those who want to pay their respects and remember her.

Questioning and disrespecting are widely different and certainly not mutually exclusive among intelligent people.

DfT raised a simple issue yet got pilloried he was not disrespecting the person.