The Queen

D

Deleted member 15344

Which doesn't seem to be reflected in the real world.

As an eg yesterday, even on Royal Deeside, only one golf course closed, and one opened at two (though a few were on well before that), the other six were all open all day.

Imagine looking at golf courses opening as a barometer in regards the feelings towards the monarchy ?‍♂️

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...onarchy-sees-minor-improvement-public-opinion

https://www.statista.com/statistics/863893/support-for-the-monarchy-in-britain-by-age/

That's just ??, most of the world's population did not watch the funeral.

looks like it was around 4.1 billon

https://www.indy100.com/amp/queen-funeral-viewing-figures-numbers-2658309003-2658309003

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which doesn't seem to be reflected in the real world.

As an eg yesterday, even on Royal Deeside, only one golf course closed, and one opened at two (though a few were on well before that), the other six were all open all day.

My local Tesco Express was open on a Sunday, late. I reckon that's just cause for a referendum on removing the Church of England. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 1418

I wouldn't equate people's feelings about the Queen with how they feel about the monarchy. I'm not a fan of the monarchy, but I still had some respect for the Queen and the job that she did. I'm sure plenty will be in that boat, and probably won't extend those good feelings to Charles in the same way.

Why wouldn't they? Looks to me over the last few weeks he's done very well considering how much he's been in the spotlight whilst at the same time managing his grief over losing his mother. I would say his stock has probably risen in a lot of people's eyes.

And whilst Prince of Wales he hardly sat on his arse - he undertook hundreds of public duties every year.

I actually think he'll be an excellent King, slimming down the monarchy and then helping William prepare for his ascension to the throne.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a different note, now that the state funeral has passed, and the Queen has been laid to rest, can we now have a national moratorium on the word "beloved". It should legal to punch the next TV presenter who uses it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On a different note, now that the state funeral has passed, and the Queen has been laid to rest, can we now have a national moratorium on the word "beloved". It should legal to punch the next TV presenter who uses it.
Whilst not related to the Queen, can we add 'Legend' to that banned list of words not to be used after someones death.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why wouldn't they? Looks to me over the last few weeks he's done very well considering how much he's been in the spotlight whilst at the same time managing his grief over losing his mother. I would say his stock has probably risen in a lot of people's eyes.

And whilst Prince of Wales he hardly sat on his arse - he undertook hundreds of public duties every year.

I actually think he'll be an excellent King, slimming down the monarchy and then helping William prepare for his ascension to the throne.
Of course he's done fine, plus he gets a pass at the moment as his mother just died. But generally he has a lot to live up to. I remember a few years ago I heard a lot of mutterings that he should abdicate and give William the throne, so obviously there wasn't much faith in him then.

I just felt that the Queen transcended the debate for or against the monarchy on some levels as she was such an omnipresent figure. Now that she's passed I still think we will find that a lot of people were pro-Elizabeth rather than pro-monarchy and they won't as bothered when it's Charles, or William.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Of course he's done fine, plus he gets a pass at the moment as his mother just died. But generally he has a lot to live up to. I remember a few years ago I heard a lot of mutterings that he should abdicate and give William the throne, so obviously there wasn't much faith in him then.

I just felt that the Queen transcended the debate for or against the monarchy on some levels as she was such an omnipresent figure. Now that she's passed I still think we will find that a lot of people were pro-Elizabeth rather than pro-monarchy and they won't as bothered when it's Charles, or William.

Sadly Charles is Moyes following Ferguson. I suspect nothing he does can do will, nor should it be expected to, live up to what the Queen did.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think they will be acutely aware that previously, it was about the monarch, rather than the monarchy…..that has flipped on its head and now it will be about the monarch.

I also think his stock has seriously risen in the past few years, and he will be very, very visible, and probably supported with William and Kate doing a lot more.

the next few months/years will be pretty busy….good luck to them. I hope they succeed!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thing about the ‘supernatural nonsense’ that we will hear during the funeral service is that Her Majesty believed very much in her God and took great strength as well as guidance from her religious convictions.
That's because she believed she had divine right to be the Queen.
I did sign a book of condolence for her but I did not want to witness any live coverage of the funeral given by a mammal called the Archbishop of Canterbury who promotes more than anybody else in England the idea that there is a god looking down on us all, and working his ideas from a book of mythology called the Bible.
Like more and more people today, I will be having an atheist funeral.

Indeed she said that she was able to commit fully to a lifetime of service to the nation given she had, even as a young women, these strong convictions - that they would see her through whatever was thrown at her from coronation to death.
What choice did she have?

A woman of decency, honesty and integrity
Pity that doesn't apply to some of her offspring.

I wonder if they will ever reveal just how much all this cost at a time when so many are about to enter hard times?

There is always doubt about the true monarch being someone else.
In recent times Michael Abney-Hastings was suggested.
Going further back it was all based on whichever dynasty came along.
In other word whoever becomes monarch has had a massive dose of luck.

I accept the Queen did a good job, but I think now the monarchy should be downgraded and assets sold off.
Then they can get a proper job.
The Empire has gone and fewer Commonwealth nations want the British monarch to be head of their state.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So the 6.1 billion people who watched the funeral yesterday aren't in the real world?
I would love to know how they compiled that figure.

I was surprised that only 250,000 people filed past the coffin.
Thought that it would be a much higher number.
Celtic and Rangers playing at home on the same day have about 120.000 spectators on one afternoon.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Celtic and Rangers playing at home on the same day have about 120.000 spectators on one afternoon.
Yeah, but the Royal family don't have a decent forward amongst them .

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
From what I've seen over the last 10 days there is an overwhelming desire to keep the Royal family.
People see what they want to see.
I see that populations in our own country and others, both recently and throughout history, are easily manipulated by the established order to its own ends. Very often, not to the best of outcomes...

Personally, I don't think many people I've come into contact with over the last few weeks who've given any considered thought to the matter think that our constitution and political structures have anything particularly to recommend them.

If we were starting a constitution from scratch, the one we have wouldn't even make the first cut. I don't think a single one of those democratic countries 'admiring' us over the last few days think "I wish we had that". And for good reason.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Do the maths! Any more in the time available and they would have had to be running through the hall! Works out at about 38 mourners per minute - more actually as there were frequent stoppages for change of guard, "VIP's" etc.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site

But I don't think they queue for 12 hours or more to get into Hampden Park or Ibrox, as far as I am aware :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have expressed great thanks for the late Queen, specifically her use of her faith, and admiration that we are able to leverage our past and our organisational skills to put on a grand show. That does not make me a monarchist or pro Royal, in fact I am pretty ambivalent over the future of the monarchy…probably looking to a Scandinavian or a Benelux model for the future, at least in the first instance.