The Putter

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a Ping Anser, Odyssey protype milled #9 half moon and an Odyssey fang two ball mallet. All can be brilliant or shocking on any day. My preference is the #9 purely for the milled face but not the best or consistent on shorter putts. Thinking about the blade for the season and waiting on my original Anser 2 (c1982) to arrive extended and with a new grip

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Six .
Current is a LAB 2 I bought of Ethan on here.
Hard to say it’s the one but my putting has improved no end.
But on the greens atm it’s very hard to tell.

Larry long dog

Visit site
I’ve got an odyssey tank 7 and whilst I wouldn’t say its the prettiest, it does the job.

A mate of mine is after a ping putter from 25ish years ago that’s similar to a golden goose. Said it was the best putter he had owned and has probably had 50+ putters since (honestly not an exaggeration).

Anyone else have one of these or can remember the name of them?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I’ve got an odyssey tank 7 and whilst I wouldn’t say its the prettiest, it does the job.

A mate of mine is after a ping putter from 25ish years ago that’s similar to a golden goose. Said it was the best putter he had owned and has probably had 50+ putters since (honestly not an exaggeration).

Anyone else have one of these or can remember the name of them?

I can't remember Ping making a Golden Goose style, might it have been a Bullseye?

But whatever it was, you can't go wrong with a Golden Goose, the original and best.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just the one, the wand. It’s the overriding reason I got down to 12 given my long game is largely abject! I have strayed recently but the Odyssey Versa 1W (WBW) is back to stay.

When you find the right putter. Keep it. Forever.

Mike79

Visit site
My folks bought me an Odyssey 2-ball back in 2006 and when playing regularly I was pretty decent with it. Struggled with it in recent years but more due to lack of play.

I put a Fatso 5.0 grip on it which was stupid as couldn’t hole anything below 6 feet. Swapped back to a standard Odyssey grip and still felt off. Now on an Odyssey Jumbo and I’m loving it again.

I’ll don’t ever intend to swap this out - it works and it means something to me

Boomy

Visit site
I have a few putters, mostly older models as keepers but I have settled on one since tinkering with the swing weight to get it right for me.

In the bag: SeeMore Original FGP CSbblade ⭐

In the golf cave: Odyssey 2 ball (original), Wilson TPAXVII x2 (1 original and 1 custom) Scotty Cameron California del Mar (2010 original condition) Vintage Bronty GEM and a 1960’s Align 4 Harold Swash model.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Ok he lied? He’s now saying it’s more like the Wilson 8802, but had a white face and ping written in black??

Again that doesn't sound like something that Ping would make, the 8802 is a flanged blade and Ping's ethos has always been about making it easier for the golfer.

Something like the Ping J Blade which only has a small cavity is about as close as you're likely to get.

There was a period when Ping had white inserts with the Ping name in black so it must have been a model available then.

1646520581464.png

sunshine

Visit site
Putting is so much in the mind, and really the implement itself makes no difference. Wondering about the wand is just a distraction, and counter productive. The best thing you can do it a putter is put the tool itself out of your thinking, dont dream of changing, and just focus on reading greens and your stroke.

Yes and no.

You need to find a putter that suits your stroke, and feels nice off the face. Once you have that, you're good to go. It could be a £5 Donnay putter from Sports Direct, advances in putter technology aren't really adding anything.

Definitely agree on the point about focus.

The Fader

Visit site
I have 4 at the moment.

For 95% of the last few years my Scottie half mallet has been my weapon of choice. I am a compulsive practice putter so the milling is starting to get worn.

But for some reason, I lost the faith last summer after missing a few short ones and changed to my Rife Renegade X fang. Fugly and only bought because it was half price! Wasn't convinced by it - but it has behaved and stayed in the bag and will stay there whilstever I make most of the putts I expect to make.

I also own Rife anser style and a Scottie GoLo 5

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Putter 'technology' is not a real thing !
The 'tech' hokum takes in a lot of people on drivers, but surely nobody believes it on putters ???

And :
- good putters find that their putter behaves and so it tends to stay in the bag.
- poor putters (and those taken in by marketing) always feel they just-dont-get-on-with their putter, and are ever searching for The One.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a Ping Karsten Anser. Tried LOTS of others courtesy of eBay, but really like this one … not sure I would call it love though. Decided to just stick with it as it works fairly well for me. I have a Mizuno MP T101 (similar to an Anser) in the spare set that I use when I travel.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
I have about 6 putters I keep the older vintage ones for sentimental reasons. Currently using a Tm spider which I feel is the best putter for someone inconsistent like me. I was a decent putter when I was younger using an old Ben sayers discarded by my brother. Was never the same after getting rid of that and have never shot as good a score again since. As someone else said if you have a putter that works forget about putters.

D

Deleted member 23270

Currently gaming an Odyssey #7 and very happy with it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have about 6 putters I keep the older vintage ones for sentimental reasons. Currently using a Tm spider which I feel is the best putter for someone inconsistent like me. I was a decent putter when I was younger using an old Ben sayers discarded by my brother. Was never the same after getting rid of that and have never shot as good a score again since. As someone else said if you have a putter that works forget about putters.
When you say "old" Ben Sayers, exactly how old?
I still use a Ben Sayers Opel Line One bought brand new in 1989, but it had been in the shop for a good while.
Last year I bought an Opel Line 3 for a song. Only had one round with it. It has a broader head, but a lighter feel. Got on fine with that one too.
It came with Mizuno Cimarron blades 4, 6, 8, PW, a Prosimmon 5-wood (wooden head) and a Prosimmon carry bag - all for £10 plus petrol to collect.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The 'tech' hokum takes in a lot of people on drivers, but surely nobody believes it on putters ???

And :
- good putters find that their putter behaves and so it tends to stay in the bag.
- poor putters (and those taken in by marketing) always feel they just-dont-get-on-with their putter, and are ever searching for The One.

The only "technology" that really works IMHO is heel and toe weighting as this increases MOI and makes it less likely that the putter face will open or close through the stroke.

One day last year I'd forgotten to put a putter in the bag and borrowed a TaylorMade mallet of some kind from the Pro shop and it was definitely more stable through the stroke than the blades I normally use.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again that doesn't sound like something that Ping would make, the 8802 is a flanged blade and Ping's ethos has always been about making it easier for the golfer.

Something like the Ping J Blade which only has a small cavity is about as close as you're likely to get.

There was a period when Ping had white inserts with the Ping name in black so it must have been a model available then.

View attachment 41638
Could be this:

iu.jpeg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At one time there was definitive guide to all the Ping putters but sadly all the links I knew about no longer work.

phillarrow

Visit site

And :

Can you give some examples of the technology claims being made that you don't belive in?