The Putter

putterman60

Visit site
i started the wedge thread now we have irons thread and now to the putter.

IF i could play golf etc etc i would probably find it hard to find a putter i liked , but then again i might not.

So

how many putters do you own

how long did it take for you to find the `right one`

and did you `splurge` on a very very pricey one or did you find one that you fell in love with (not pricey)

Jason.H

Visit site
I have one. A TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast and really like it. So good for lining up with the line on the ball. I’ve have Ping anser style putters in the past but much prefer this type. Pricey but well worth it to me.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing the same one, Odyssey 2 a ball for about 15 years. Bought it for a song from a guy who used it for one summer, didnt transform his game and eye was wandering for something else.
Putting is so much in the mind, and really the implement itself makes no difference. Wondering about the wand is just a distraction, and counter productive. The best thing you can do it a putter is put the tool itself out of your thinking, dont dream of changing, and just focus on reading greens and your stroke.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have two, although one of those is old, battered and not left the garage for 5 yrs or more. If it was in better condition I'd have sold it by now but as it is it probably has next to no value.

I've been through multiple putters, looking for 'the one'.

My current one, Odyssey 2 Ball Fang, is the best that I've had but I'm not in love with it. It's good for me but it doesn't warm the heart. I didn't pay a lot for it but that isn't the issue.

Ideally I'd like an Evnroll ER2, I just can't justify the price for one.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been using a Ping Anser putter since I was teenager. I've recently splashed out on a Mizuno TP-P9001 blade putter that I'd always wanted. I was then lucky enough to spot a TP-P9002 in good condition for sale too, it's a squarer version on the TP-P9001, but equally as nice. 3 putters, all bought second hand, in about 25 years isn't too bad...

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My first full-size putter was a Slazenger Magic Touch.
This was actually my older brother's, so I had to buy a second hand Petron Impala for £5 in about 1976/7. I still have it.
In 1989 I bought my first brand new putter, Ben Sayers Opel Line One for £25. I have used it ever since. So this is "the one" as you describe.
Been quite successful with it - Club Championship twice, runner-up three times - Club Scratch Knockout three times, runner-up twice.

I have dallied with other putters over the years and more recently (over the last 12 months) bought several vintage putters, including a Slazenger Magic Touch.
I think I have about 20 putters - haven't counted them - some are in the loft at the moment.

phillarrow

Visit site
An original Odyssey 2 ball which never comes out any more.
A Ping Cra-zee which I used up until this year and will be my back up if /when my confidence goes with my new putter.
A Taylor Made Spider which I was fitted for (kind of, but that's a different story) recently and an getting used to for the coming year(s).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've had dozens over the years, though current one (a fugly 33" Centre shafted Bettinardi Baby Bee) has been the mainstay for over 15 years.
I'm a Bettinardi 'nut', having bought my first 'serious' one in 2002 (I stll have it, along with another like it that I bought about 18 months ago. Had a couple of Camerons, but the only one that 'sparkled' was a Bettinardi milled one (TEI3 - without the elastomer insert), so stayed with his 'own brand' ones - with a couple of Mizunardis and several Hoganardis along the way.
Still got over a dozen or more scattered about that occasionally get admired or even used!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Don't know exactly how many I have but somewhere around 100.
Before I started collecting clubs I stuck with one putter and the ones I remember were a Bronty Kangaroo (which I bought because it had the cavity back like an Anser so I could scoop the ball up off the green like the cool dudes did) and an Odyssey White Steel No 1.

Now I rotate putters pretty much every week, I still have favourites though, among them are:
  • Spalding Gold Medal, Model W
  • John Letters Golden Goose (have several of these but one is a particular favourite)
  • Greenway
  • Spalding Cash-In
  • It-Sits
  • Edinburgh Golf, Rapier
  • Goudie SS300

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At some stages I’ve had 4 putters throughout a season but decided last year enough was enough. Sold every putter I had.

Sam lab session invested and a nice scotty phantom 11 poulter edition is in the bag. I purposely opted for something high end after a fitting as I stood the eyes wandering due to the investment. I had my best putting stats last year, that stick will be in the bag a long while.

The only other putter I own is a vintage pinseeker to match the vintage irons if we’re playing old sticks matches.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quite a few over the years, Used to collect Camerons, so have had a fair few interesting ones at various times. Used one of Rory's old putters (Del Mar 3.5) for a while.

I have a couple standing by on a squad basis. Main standby currently a Bettinardi Tour DASS putter, used to be my main putter, now mostly on the bench.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Technically I have had two, the TM truss one was rubbish. I got rid within a month. The one I have owned since Noah saved the planet is an odyssey two ball. On the back of the putter is two white circles similar in size to a golf ball. Line that up with your golf ball and that is the line you hit through. Simples. It works for me. It is a magicians wand.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played for over 40 years and putted since I was an infant

My first putter stayed in the bag for 8 years , it was £2 in the local market. Ping Answer copy
When I came to the current club it was too light as the greens back then were much slower.
Having tried several putters the next 'one' stayed in the bag for many years until it got broken. Very expensive at the time at £105 Slotline inertia CS
The replacement went straight in to the bag after sinking 9 out of 10 putts when trialling it ( I had chosen the putter after seeing about 50% of the ladies on the LET switch to various models of the same make. Cost of that one was about £120 Never Compromise Z1 Omega CS
It was replaced about 8 years ago when they bought a new model with a changeable weight system cost new around £150. Never Compromise Exchange 2 CS

Tried the one or two others in the meantime but they were resold.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve just the one now. An early SC Studio Select 2.5. I’ve been through my fair share. I used to have a collection of SC Tel3 putters and a few other rare ones, but sold them just before the prices went mental ?‍♂️.

I keep being tempted by a Phantom X 11. Must resist.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve just the one now. An early SC Studio Select 2.5. I’ve been through my fair share. I used to have a collection of SC Tel3 putters and a few other rare ones, but sold them just before the prices went mental ?‍♂️.

I keep being tempted by a Phantom X 11. Must resist.

Don’t resist, do it!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
The first putter I ever bought was a Wilson Augusta 2, as a kid I loved the blade look - played with it all through my childhood…

When the Jason day red spider was released I absolutely loved it, you couldn’t buy the tour version initially so I got the one with the sight line, when the tour version was released I had to have it too. Roll on last year and with the spider tour looking worse for wear I got the newer spider x but in custom colours (my spider x).

I’ve struggled with taking putting practise to the course for some reason. Roll them beautifully on the practice green… freeze on the course leaving them short all the time.

So, back to basics, bought an old OG 80’s ping zing on eBay for £15 a couple of weeks back, still has the original grip on it and it’s cracked, shiny and brittle but putting has vastly improved…

5 putters, don’t think I’ll ever find the “right one” and the splurge putters don’t work ?

Reactions: SyR