The pause at the top

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been experimenting with this. I have been using the phi golf sensor which tracks the club path and face angle.
Firstly my face angle is or was quite open on the phi wand, but I have resolved that as my club face with the sensor on my club is quite close to zero.
My path is interesting I am in to out, I expected this as I have been working on this. But the tempo stuff is the interesting bit. When I try to slow my tempo down .. so slow back swing and micro pause at the top and then start.. the club or my hands drop and my path becomes in to out .. it never goes out to in.
Its interesting because it will just stop most over the top movements .. or have I misunderstood?

Oh and the txg video on gaining 10mph in 30 minutes is well worth a watch. I struggled to apply it all but I definitely saw some speed increase and my average speed has been ramping up.. I am still trying to keep the face angle and path angles as normal as possible.. it has also made me realise a 10 degree driver probably would be about right as I add on average 1.5 degrees of attack angle maxing out to 3.5 degrees and minimum is -1.5 .. but will work on this through the winter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I slowed my swing down to a blur there may be a fraction of a nanosecond that I could pause. I have worked hard on my tempo and it is better but it can go back to warp speed and on bad days timing goes. Why not keep going a bit longer with what you're trying and see where it takes you. Always a school day with the golf swing

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Try not to think of the swing being slower, try and think of it being smoother.
Then in the transition, imagine a child's swing changing direction so it doesn't actually stop, it just settles then a gradual acceleration all the way passed the ball

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try not to think of the swing being slower, try and think of it being smoother.
Then in the transition, imagine a child's swing changing direction so it doesn't actually stop, it just settles then a gradual acceleration all the way passed the ball
Yes that’s what I am trying to do, settle it down it’s micro seconds, the swing reaches the back, comes to rest and the lead foot takes the load and it comes down .. if that sounds right? But I might be forcing it.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m pausing at the top for my hands only at the moment, for my driver swing, working well. The rest of my body doesn’t pause.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am quite smooth in transition but when I chase distance I get a bit out of sequence so a little separation is helping- it’s not massive although I have hit numbers of 6 and then it’s just recovery from that as it feels far too long. I was around 2.5 average now I am getting close to 3, current average is 3.2

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played with a guy in a Pro tournament years ago who stopped his downswing at waist high then went back and completed his [2nd] backswing before hitting the ball.
Bloomin weird but he was a decent player.
Bobs child's swing/ swinging lead weight on rope thought has stood the test of time........snatching at the top is the cause of many bad shots especially as it tends to involve head movement as well.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think I actually pause at the top when I see a video but it feels like I do. I try and get my weight moving over to my lead leg as the backswing is still finishing. If that makes sense.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think I actually pause at the top when I see a video but it feels like I do. I try and get my weight moving over to my lead leg as the backswing is still finishing. If that makes sense.
I think that’s what would be referred to as a smooth transition. It happens but it flows.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I am quite smooth in transition but when I chase distance I get a bit out of sequence so a little separation is helping- it’s not massive although I have hit numbers of 6 and then it’s just recovery from that as it feels far too long. I was around 2.5 average now I am getting close to 3, current average is 3.2
What are those numbers?

I used to have a pause years ago, felt like it gave me time to sort transition out. Kind of stopped it more recently.
My numbers were showing pretty consistently out to in 3.5 to 5 degrees ? So plenty of work for me there. Just putting in a pause alone wasn't enough but I did for a bit move to averaging between 2.5 O-2-I, and 0.7 I-2-O

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swing tempo is ratio of back to through https://theleftrough.com/golf-swing-tempo/ explains it better.
Last night I was at 6 .. I dunno how bad thing that is, the shots were fine.

With the path stuff, I think if you minimise it down but still out 2 in you will be fine, just make sure your face angle isn’t massively open or closed. I was trying to work it all out, as in a cumulative but reality is the spin levels imparted will cause the shot shap as well making or amplifying the affect.

Have you seen the difference in face angle you get with and without a glove?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Yeah agree would be happy with plus or minus 2.
On tempo (on the widget I'm on) I'm normally around 3 to 3.5 to 1. I go up to 4+ when trying to feel positions.
Not checked for differences re glove but wouldn't expect any.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah agree would be happy with plus or minus 2.
On tempo (on the widget I'm on) I'm normally around 3 to 3.5 to 1. I go up to 4+ when trying to feel positions.
Not checked for differences re glove but wouldn't expect any.
That’s sounds good, but I would say if you get to the right impact position it really is academic.. it was just something I noticed and wondered whether it would help the out 2 in paths as well. The other drills like the 2 head covers work wonders as well. I also found that my lead foot loaded helped my path .. when you get trapped on the back foot the club path can be quite random .. and swaying is also likely ... golf sidekick has a lesson video and it’s really interesting