The Open 2023

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Did you listen to the reason why they had added a little more sand at the front ?

It’s due to the wind expected to move more if the sand around in the bunkers and the faces yesterday late in the afternoon go more severe due to player in there and the wind again

There isn’t a huge difference to yesterday and they could be even more penal with a potential to plug closer to the face

It’s all standard bunker work they do during the open
Where did you hear that? Sky talked yesterday about how they were flat inside with no slope, and then this morning about how they were making a change and introducing a slope as they were too severe yesterday, I didn't hear anything about the wind moving the sand.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Where did you hear that? Sky talked yesterday about how they were flat inside with no slope, and then this morning about how they were making a change and introducing a slope as they were too severe yesterday, I didn't hear anything about the wind moving the sand.
My playing partners cousin (tenuous link I know) is a GK there and said a couple of weeks ago they'd done the bunker work to make them flatter. So it sounds as though it was very deliberate

sunshine

Visit site
My playing partners cousin (tenuous link I know) is a GK there and said a couple of weeks ago they'd done the bunker work to make them flatter. So it sounds as though it was very deliberate

This was explained by the head greenkeeper in the Iona Stephen video posted earlier in this thread. They dug down and flattened them out. Based on the number of impossible lies in bunkers I saw yesterday, this appears too penal. Seems fair when the pot bunkers result in a 1 shot penalty, not fair when a trip to a bunker costs 2 shots (potentially more for a fairway bunker).

D-S

Visit site
This was explained by the head greenkeeper in the Iona Stephen video posted earlier in this thread. They dug down and flattened them out. Based on the number of impossible lies in bunkers I saw yesterday, this appears too penal. Seems fair when the pot bunkers result in a 1 shot penalty, not fair when a trip to a bunker costs 2 shots (potentially more for a fairway bunker).
Sky said today that they had decided to bring the sand up one rivet around each bunker creating slopes back to the centre as they had been too penal yesterday.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For one day bunkers were a thing to be avoided.

We will be back to the shouts of "get in the bunker" from the pros.

Complete cop out imo.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What seems negligent of the R&A is that they allowed players in the first round of an open to be the guinea pigs to test out this brainwave.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Man, that portentious Rolex advert script is horrendous doggerel. The sad thing is I think, they were actually trying to write something good, exuding gravitas and quality.

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
It would seem, from what I've watched (I've spent time at the the Cricket) that professional golfers can't hit the ball very straight! Also the course has formidable teeth. The pros aren't used to proper bunkers either! Bunkers like these will sort the game out, hit it as far as you like, but get in one of these & it's at your peril. Like it.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Has the Cam Smith bubble burst ? Was there ever much there in the first place ? One hit major. Justin Leonard, type ?
He’s obviously a very good player. But he was a top 20 player before having a mega season, nothing he did before would suggest he could keep that up.

Shame we’ll never really know as he bailed out. Maybe he thought he had peaked and cashed out.