The Open 2023

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

I really liked Troon, stunning course and would love to be able to afford it play it .

i was lucky enough to win vip tickets from golf monthly the last time it was held there.

if anyone’s never been I would strongly recommend going, it’s also an easy train journey from Glasgow as well :)
I stayed in Glasgow last time, the train journey was easy as...and Glasgow was a good couple of nights out...you get to see a few nice looking courses on the journey as well.

Wolf

Visit site
It’s interesting to note as well how rarely Turnberry has hosted the Open.
According to wiki’ only 4 times, to Troon’s 9.
So it’s obviously never been a favourite of the R&A.
That's actually quite an interesting stat i wasn't aware the it was as recent as 1977 that it first hosted till a quick check off the back of your post. So its relatively an unknown quantity in comparison to some others. Maybe then its simply they don't see it as part of the truly established rota with history.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Wrong. The Open is not about the owner of the course.

I never said it was.

I simply said Trump has every right to be passionate and proud of his creation. The course is supposed to be the best in Britain now. Its no different to Jack or Arnie being proud of their creations that get used for PGA events.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It’s interesting to note as well how rarely Turnberry has hosted the Open.
According to wiki’ only 4 times, to Troon’s 9.
So it’s obviously never been a favourite of the R&A.

As I said its the infrastructure that is its enemy. A lot of professionals end up staying in hotels in Glasgow and getting helicoptered down. Its a logistical nightmare, A class single carriageway and B class roads.

D

Deleted member 15344

I never said it was.

I simply said Trump has every right to be passionate and proud of his creation. The course is supposed to be the best in Britain now. Its no different to Jack or Arnie being proud of their creations that get used for PGA events.

I believe it’s very different to the likes of Arnie and Jack - yes Trump builds great courses , each course he owns he puts money into to make it outstanding but I believe the reasons for doing so and for wanting the Open or indeed other events compared to the likes of Arnie etc are different

When Jack designs and builds a course he is doing it from a purely selfless golf perspective- he wants to get a course that people want to play and love , he doesn’t care about his standing

Trump builds great courses to try and self publicise - he wants his name at the top , he wants his name at The Open - purely for himself and not for the sport , he is desperate for The Open so that he can say - I hosted the Open , he tried to build a course to host it , didn’t work out , bought a course on the rota and imo it’s not going to work out. He wants it as a status symbol and a trophy and if think it’s that as well as the political side plus all the racism and sexism

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So Jack and Arnie didn't care about income?

Absolute nonsense, like Trump they are/were in it for the money and fame.

D

Deleted member 23270

I never said it was.

Of course he has every right to be proud of the course but we all know that with his massive ego he would make sure that he featured prominently if the Open went there. I wouldn't be surprised if he insisted that he would conduct the prizegiving ceremony :eek:

D

Deleted member 23270

I believe it’s very different to the likes of Arnie and Jack - yes Trump builds great courses , each course he owns he puts money into to make it outstanding but I believe the reasons for doing so and for wanting the Open or indeed other events compared to the likes of Arnie etc are different

When Jack designs and builds a course he is doing it from a purely selfless golf perspective- he wants to get a course that people want to play and love , he doesn’t care about his standing

Trump builds great courses to try and self publicise - he wants his name at the top , he wants his name at The Open - purely for himself and not for the sport , he is desperate for The Open so that he can say - I hosted the Open , he tried to build a course to host it , didn’t work out , bought a course on the rota and imo it’s not going to work out. He wants it as a status symbol and a trophy and if think it’s that as well as the political side plus all the racism and sexism
Yep......TRUMP Turnberry, TRUMP Aberdeen, TRUMP resort Doonbeg

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Of course he has every right to be proud of the course but we all know that with his massive ego he would make sure that he featured prominently if the Open went there. I wouldn't be surprised if he insisted that he would conduct the prizegiving ceremony :eek:

Pure speculation!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Trump has every right to be passionate and proud of his creation.

The cretin Trump has no cause to be proud of anything. His very existence is a sacrilege and an insult to decency itself.
If hell truly existed, the parents who spawned him would be burning in it.

I would absolutely give up the game before playing a course with that vile organism's name on it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Bit of a stupid question but I'll do you the honour of a reply kind sir.

Why build a course if its not to make an income???

But no one has suggested they wouldn’t be looking for an income from building it ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The cretin Trump has no cause to be proud of anything. His very existence is a sacrilege and an insult to decency itself.

I would absolutely give up the game before playing a course with that vile organism's name on it.

Wonder how your parents would fare?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
But no one has suggested they wouldn’t be looking for an income from building it ?

You said Jack etc build it on a selfless level. I call bull on that - they build it because they were commissioned to do so for remuneration or they build their own resort again for remuneration not out of some selfless great act of giving the public a place to play.

I hope that clears up the route you steered it towards.

D

Deleted member 1147

I thought his dad’s biggest crime was being a slum landlord

D

Deleted member 15344

You said Jack etc build it on a selfless level. I call bull on that - they build it because they were commissioned to do so for remuneration or they build their own resort again for remuneration not out of some selfless great act of giving the public a place to play.

I hope that clears up the route you steered it towards.

I think you are missing the point

Yes we know people are going to invest or build or design something and get paid for it - that wasn’t the point

How many courses or clubs do you know that are called - The Nicklaus ? I think one down in St Mellion but I don’t believe it was his choice. I played London Club today - designed by Nicklaus , it’s just called The Heritage - I think there is a plaque somewhere ? Did they build these courses as a status symbol for themselves , to have their name everywhere, to have the major comps so that they can have it as a trophy - nope

Trump built Aberdeen imo to get The Open and create something excellent and to ensure his name was attached to it , he bought Doonbeg - called it Trump Doonbeg, bought Turnberry to get the Open under his name , renamed it to Trump Turnberry - it’s a status symbol for him. There are many that whilst admire the ability to pour money into a golf course they can also see past the course and the reasons and look at the person doing it and his reasons why and also the person he is. The R&A I believe are part of that group. And I don’t see the Open back to Turnberry until he sells it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Yes we know people are going to invest or build or design something and get paid for it - that wasn’t the point

How many courses or clubs do you know that are called - The Nicklaus ? I think one down in St Mellion but I don’t believe it was his choice. I played London Club today - designed by Nicklaus , it’s just called The Heritage - I think there is a plaque somewhere ? Did they build these courses as a status symbol for themselves , to have their name everywhere, to have the major comps so that they can have it as a trophy - nope

Trump built Aberdeen imo to get The Open and create something excellent and to ensure his name was attached to it , he bought Doonbeg - called it Trump Doonbeg, bought Turnberry to get the Open under his name , renamed it to Trump Turnberry - it’s a status symbol for him. There are many that whilst admire the ability to pour money into a golf course they can also see past the course and the reasons and look at the person doing it and his reasons why and also the person he is. The R&A I believe are part of that group. And I don’t see the Open back to Turnberry until he sells it.

To be fair though Phil. Armie, Jack etc are all synonymous with golf. Old Trump isn’t. pretty much all the courses designed by ex pros have it plastered everywhere, it’s not like we don’t know who’s done it, simply because their name isn’t on there.

He names everything. Simply because that (Trump) is his brand. I’m sure if he’d called his brand “Fake tan wig inc” then he’d have that at the start of courses too. I really don’t see him having his name on them as the issue.

I agree fully that his he is the issue. Just think that if all his faults, his ego isn’t the main reason to complain As such.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Yeah man you keep believing and the next time Marks and Spencer open a store in Scotland I'll email them and tell them not to put their name on it.

Jack & Arnie & Crenshaw & Doak & Hawtree & McLay Kidd all build courses for the same reason as Uncle Donald.

Until Turnberry has better transport and accommodation and logistics and infrastructure it's going to be behind the eight ball which is a shame as it's a tremendous track which blows places like St Andrews and Royal Liverpool out of the water.