The Open 2023

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

sunshine

Visit site
Neither bothers me nor comes into my thinking when I play a course. With the exception of people knowing who Trump is and what he owns because of his status I'd be willing to bet most golfers don't know who owns the clubs they pay Green fees at so could still be contributing to those people they would be morally against without knowing it.

Anyway this is detracting from the thread, I stand by opinion from the beginning and you do yours so fair enough we agree to disagree and let the thread get back on track.

What I'm reading is that you don't believe in sanctions.

For example you wouldn't have supported the exclusion of South Africa from international sport during the apartheid era.

Wolf

Visit site
What I'm reading is that you don't believe in sanctions.

For example you wouldn't have supported the exclusion of South Africa from international sport during the apartheid era.
Then your reading my posts with your own agenda ?

Oh and another ridiculous hypothetical question and a huge jump from me having no issue with who owns a golf course to me not having a issue with apartheid where an entire race was persecuted ?

I would suggest your reading into things with your own slant and trying to make up an outcome that suits your agenda. Perhaps stick to what the thread is about rather than assuming what my beliefs are on other unrelated subjects ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes Martin Slumbers said: "It's the primary problem for Turnberry trying to get the infrastructure sorted. We are working with the government and tourist board to see what can be done but that's a long-term point."

According to some - infrastructure isn't a problem!!!

????

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a well known fact amongst ayrshire golfers that the transport to and around turnberry isnt great and easily grinds to a halt if theres too much traffic. I dont believe this to be the sole reason for turnberry not hosting in the near future, it certainly is a convenient excuse and does have truth to it. Improvements could be made but whether or not the Scottish government would do this is another thing. Delighted troon are hosting again, will be trying to qualify for sure ?

sunshine

Visit site
Then your reading my posts with your own agenda ?

Oh and another ridiculous hypothetical question and a huge jump from me having no issue with who owns a golf course to me not having a issue with apartheid where an entire race was persecuted ?

I would suggest your reading into things with your own slant and trying to make up an outcome that suits your agenda. Perhaps stick to what the thread is about rather than assuming what my beliefs are on other unrelated subjects ?

I have no agenda. You made it really clear you couldn't care less about who owns a golf course, it wouldn't impact you playing that course, you wouldn't take a moral stance if you disagreed strongly with that person. I have no idea what your views are on apartheid, other than you wouldn't let it get in the way of your golf.

I was just pointing out that lots of sports chose not to compete in South Africa because they didn't want to endorse the views of the people who ran the sport in that country. It was a choice.

Wolf

Visit site
I have no agenda. You made it really clear you couldn't care less about who owns a golf course, it wouldn't impact you playing that course, you wouldn't take a moral stance if you disagreed strongly with that person. I have no idea what your views are on apartheid, other than you wouldn't let it get in the way of your golf.

I was just pointing out that lots of sports chose not to compete in South Africa because they didn't want to endorse the views of the people who ran the sport in that country. It was a choice.
There you go again using your hypothetical scenario saying you know I wouldn't let apartheid get in the way of my golf, yet you also acknowledge you don't know my views on apartheid. I was 13 and playing football in a team with boys of various race and religions when Apartheid ended and wasn't playing golf the so your point is not only irrelevant to this thread, it's totally irrelevant toward me potentially turning a blind eye to it.

Perhaps like I've said to others stick to facts and not hypothetical or historical situations which have no bearing on what's being discussed especially when you don't know my views on subject matters. As I've said Trump's ownership of a golf course is not in anyway comparible to the persecution of an entire race and has no place in this thread. Please feel free to try and continue to vilify me if you wish without knowing my views on anything but you'll get no further reply as its not adding anything of interest to the thread.

Last edited:

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Playing the course - your money goes to that person. If you have a belief that the person is fundamentally making the world worse, I wouldn't want to effectively contribute towards that if I could avoid it.

Hosting an event - the same person would profit massively financially, and also possibly use the event to try and peddle their poison.

The above would bother me.

Its my 40th in April and I’m booked in with the wife to stay and play at turnberry as gift to myself.
While I understand your distaste at lining the pockets of Donald trump, I prefer to think of the money providing wages for local people who are just trying to make a living Like the rest of us.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

I'm sure he has a banned list of golf course owners where he wouldn't play if offered. Trump isn't on that list, seems fair enough to me. I'd play there and his other courses too as he owns some real belters.

sunshine

Visit site
There you go again using your hypothetical scenario saying you know I wouldn't let apartheid get in the way of my golf, yet you also acknowledge you don't know my views on apartheid. I was 13 and playing football in a team with boys of various race and religions when Apartheid ended and wasn't playing golf the so your point is not only irrelevant to this thread, it's totally irrelevant toward me potentially turning a blind eye to it.

Perhaps like I've said to others stick to facts and not hypothetical or historical situations which have no bearing on what's being discussed especially when you don't know my views on subject matters. As I've said Trump's ownership of a golf course is not in anyway comparible to the persecution of an entire race and has no place in this thread. Please feel free to try and continue to vilify me if you wish without knowing my views on anything but you'll get no further reply as its not adding anything of interest to the thread.

I'm not judging you, I'd play Turnberry too. Just pointing out the implications of your statements, which I thought were totally relevant to the thread. Arguably the R&A are avoiding Turnberry due to the politics / furore that follows Trump. Should the R&A mix sport and politics? There are precedents... But let's not dwell on this any more.