The Open 2023

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah man you keep believing and the next time Marks and Spencer open a store in Scotland I'll email them and tell them not to put their name on it.

Jack & Arnie & Crenshaw & Doak & Hawtree & McLay Kidd all build courses for the same reason as Uncle Donald.

Until Turnberry has better transport and accommodation and logistics and infrastructure it's going to be behind the eight ball which is a shame as it's a tremendous track which blows places like St Andrews and Royal Liverpool out of the water.

?‍♂️

Just look at that list of people you mention and think of the courses they personally designed

How many has Trump designed ?

It’s imo insulting to those great names of the sport to associate Trump with them - he is money and I reckon you must be the first person to attempt to put them on the same level

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Just come on this thread and have some observations

It’s a good thread, but is being spoilt by people making personal comments

Wolf , please stop being so precious
Ken , criticising people’s grammar is petty.
LP you are repeating yourself , again
Crawford, Leave Boomer alone,

If this thread is further derailed I will start handing out infractions

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
What could/would the R&A do if Trump bought a course that has already been assigned the Open. For Example what if Trump paid RSG silly me to complete the purchase of RSG by June this year?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just come on this thread and have some observations

It’s a good thread, but is being spoilt by people making personal comments

Wolf , please stop being so precious
Ken , criticising people’s grammar is petty.
LP you are repeating yourself , again
Crawford, Leave Boomer alone,

If this thread is further derailed I will start handing out infractions

I find it bizarre that someone can question the parentage of Trump yet when it's turned on its head it's frowned upon??

Just another example of the double standards I receive on here.

D

Deleted member 1418

What happens if the Trump organisation purchases Troon before 2023.......????

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't think Turnberry will get the open while Trump is president. After? Possibly. Not just for reasons of self agrandisement by Trump, but also because the security aspect of being POTUS, and the protest aspect of people nothing to do with golf turning up to protest Trump, will only compound the poor infrastructure issues.

sunshine

Visit site
That is just a terrible reply in every respect.

Have a word with yourself.

Agreed it was a harsh reply. But to be fair if someone types a sentence with half a dozen grammar / spelling mistakes, which make the post difficult to understand, I think it's ok to call them out on it.

Wolf

Visit site
Agreed it was a harsh reply. But to be fair if someone types a sentence with half a dozen grammar / spelling mistakes, which make the post difficult to understand, I think it's ok to call them out on it.
What if that person has dyslexia is it still okay to call them on it. Not everyone can be perfect with their grammar or spelling.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Why would you think that is acceptable? Perhaps they have dyslexia or similar does that make it acceptable to mock or criticise?

I certainly don't agree.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It sounds like they are talking up the 200,000 thing as a way of letting some of the clubs down gently. Turnberry especially the R&A have been very careful to never say that it's off the rota or they won't go there while Trump is president or Trump owns it.

But the bottom line is Turnberry is probably the most remote course (other than Portrush) with narrowest transport links and presents plenty of problems.

Of course, if they were keen to do it, they could do it and I'm sure manage these issues to an extent. No doubt Turnberry might be happy to throw a few million at the R&A to make up for reduced ticket sales etc. Also worth mentioning that the last Turnberry open was in 2009 at the height of the financial crisis and so fair to say an event anywhere would have made a lot less money at that point.

I'm fairly sure they will find a way to keep Muirfield on. Perhaps they might be open to changing the layout at a few holes to create more room around some holes.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Imo if infrastructure was really he reason, it wouldn't be at St Georges. Its just an easy excuse.

The colleges in the surrounding areas are closing for summer holidays 2 weeks early because the area simply can't handle the number of people expected.

sunshine

Visit site
Imo if infrastructure was really he reason, it wouldn't be at St Georges. Its just an easy excuse.

The colleges in the surrounding areas are closing for summer holidays 2 weeks early because the area simply can't handle the number of people expected.

I get your point about infrastructure. Although the narrow roads into sandwich make it tricky, RSG is a commutable distance from a very large population centre, and has a train station, so there is less need for local accommodation. Technically it is probably the most accessible open venue, they're all in the middle of nowhere :LOL:

Are you saying local colleges are closing 2 weeks before the Open? I think they close everywhere, it's called the summer holidays.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I get your point about infrastructure. Although the narrow roads into sandwich make it tricky, RSG is a commutable distance from a very large population centre, and has a train station, so there is less need for local accommodation. Technically it is probably the most accessible open venue, they're all in the middle of nowhere :LOL:

Are you saying local colleges are closing 2 weeks before the Open? I think they close everywhere, it's called the summer holidays.

Summer holidays in kent start the week after the open concludes. Secondary shools/Colleges in the surrounding area informed all students (parents) that they'd be finishing two weeks early due to the disruption of the event.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
It sounds like they are talking up the 200,000 thing as a way of letting some of the clubs down gently. Turnberry especially the R&A have been very careful to never say that it's off the rota or they won't go there while Trump is president or Trump owns it.

But the bottom line is Turnberry is probably the most remote course (other than Portrush) with narrowest transport links and presents plenty of problems.

Of course, if they were keen to do it, they could do it and I'm sure manage these issues to an extent. No doubt Turnberry might be happy to throw a few million at the R&A to make up for reduced ticket sales etc. Also worth mentioning that the last Turnberry open was in 2009 at the height of the financial crisis and so fair to say an event anywhere would have made a lot less money at that point.

I'm fairly sure they will find a way to keep Muirfield on. Perhaps they might be open to changing the layout at a few holes to create more room around some holes.

Troon only had 173,000 attendance in 2016, well down on the 235,000 at Birkdale, Hoylake, st Andrews. R&A have slipped up using that as an excuse to avoid Turnberry.

When everyone is spending on average £100, then 60,000 fewer people adds up to a big number!

sunshine

Visit site
Why would you think that is acceptable? Perhaps they have dyslexia or similar does that make it acceptable to mock or criticise?

I certainly don't agree.

I didn't say it was acceptable to mock, but fair to mention.

Anyway it's a moot point.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Turnberry a great course and think it pathetic of the R&A or anyone boycotting a golf course simply because of who the owner is.
Genuine question, where do you draw the line with that? What if El Chapo bought the Mexico City course that the WGC event was at last week... Should you disregard that a serious criminal owns the course and just carry on hosting the event?