The Open 2023

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Wolf

Visit site
It’s not you that is important tbh - the R&A don’t want to turn the greatest and biggest event in their sporting calender as a vehicle for political posturing - what matters to them is keeping it purely about the sport and the contest , Trump will ensure it becomes about him and not the sport
That opening line is so typical of your posts on so many subjects. Just because I said I don't care doesn't mean I was making the entire subject matter about me, but you can't help playing the poster to twist it to your own agenda as always ?

I even said the only thing that matters is the golf on display. Trump owns the course, has improved the course and so is entitled to use it to self publicise if he so wishes. Ironically you say the R&A are keeping it about the sport but not about Trump yet them snubbing it makes it all about him.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It’s not you that is important tbh - the R&A don’t want to turn the greatest and biggest event in their sporting calender as a vehicle for political posturing - what matters to them is keeping it purely about the sport and the contest , Trump will ensure it becomes about him and not the sport

That is ironically what the R&A have done!

Wolf

Visit site
Pathetic response and even worse grammar. Sort yourself out.
Just my opinion. Let's move on...
Oh dear when you have to resort to slating someone for their grammar that really says more about you than the person you are disagreeing with.

Nothing pathetic about my response at all it was my opinion you are easily offended and that we are both entitled to an opinion clearly you disagree. I don't need to sort myself out at all im quite happy with my opinion.

D

Deleted member 1147

It’s worth bearing in mind that if Turnberry is off the rota because of Trump, it may not be the R&As sole decision. After all, Doral lost the WGC because Cadillac weren’t keen on a trump link, after he stood for president and made so many stupid/racist statements.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't know much about the ownership thing..is Trump the sole owner..?
Are the other Open courses owned by an individual or are they Member's clubs or, effectively, munis like St Andrews..?
They could be using that as a reason...

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would suggest that it now has more to do with the infrastructure than anything. The roads in and around Turnberry can't cope with the size of the Open anymore. The rail and bus links are poor. The impact it has on the area is a nightmare. Policing it and housing everything associated with the Open is a logistical nightmare and man heavy.

Until the road network is seriously and properly upgraded Turnberry will struggle.

Maybole bypass has started which will help. Just need the weather to play ball.

D

Deleted member 15344

That opening line is so typical of your posts on so many subjects. Just because I said I don't care doesn't mean I was making the entire subject matter about me, but you can't help playing the poster to twist it to your own agenda as always ?
?‍♂️ Why everytime you look to go at posters, take a step backwards and before being critical at others look at yourself - nowhere in my post did I suggest you were making the entire subject matter about ?
I even said the only thing that matters is the golf on display. Trump owns the course, has improved the course and so is entitled to use it to self publicise if he so wishes. Ironically you say the R&A are keeping it about the sport but not about Trump yet them snubbing it makes it all about him.

Not one other course in The Open Rota is about any one single person beyond a golfer - much less so a very public decisive American President, The R&A rightly took a lot of flak for the Muirfield situation and took time to repair - they are going to avoid giving the Open to someone who has openly been both racist and sexist - the exact opposite image the R&A are trying to portray , they aren’t “making political “ right now , they are just being silent and going elsewhere.

Wolf

Visit site
?‍♂️ Why everytime you look to go at posters, take a step backwards and before being critical at others look at yourself - nowhere in my post did I suggest you were making the entire subject matter about ?

Not one other course in The Open Rota is about any one single person beyond a golfer - much less so a very public decisive American President, The R&A rightly took a lot of flak for the Muirfield situation and took time to repair - they are going to avoid giving the Open to someone who has openly been both racist and sexist - the exact opposite image the R&A are trying to portray , they aren’t “making political “ right now , they are just being silent and going elsewhere.
Another holier than thou post.. You wrote in your own words "its not you thats important tbh"..... That is you making a direct reference to the poster of the quoted post, yet its my fault you wrote that i guess?

Nothing else to say to you on this thread LP we all know your not allowed to be wrong.. #forumballotelli.

D

Deleted member 23270

And quite rightly too.

Trump has taken a classic and made it immeasurably better than it was. He's had the boring back nine transformed into a great stretch of holes. He's managed to improve the holes round the iconic lighthouse. Its a tremendous bit of work he's overseen and funded. I was speaking to a Turnberry member last week who tells me that 90% of the membership was against Trump saying the course was a work of art and couldn't be improved. They're all singing his praises and thanking him for turning Turnberry into an incredible course now.
Wrong. The Open is not about the owner of the course.

D

Deleted member 1147

Another holier than thou post.. You wrote in your own words "its not you thats important tbh"..... That is you making a direct reference to the poster of the quoted post, yet its my fault you wrote that i guess?

Nothing else to say to you on this thread LP we all know your not allowed to be wrong.. #forumballotelli.
Calm down sweetheart, the thread’s about Troon and/or Turnberry, not your monthly visits.

Wolf

Visit site
Your best post on the subject so far ?
Funny i hadn't been conversing with you yet you decide to have a little snide remark at me. That in itself is sad and indicative of how some on this forum are when someone has opposing opinion. Keep up the trolling its about the only thing you post that's interesting ?

D

Deleted member 1147

Funny i hadn't been conversing with you yet you decide to have a little snide remark at me. That in itself is sad and indicative of how some on this forum are when someone has opposing opinion. Keep up the trolling its about the only thing you post that's interesting ?
I just thought I’d point out that you were spoiling a perfectly good discussion, what with your obsession with LP.
You aren’t the first and certainly won’t be the last. He has a way at winding up the forum...

Wolf

Visit site
I just thought I’d point out that you were spoiling a perfectly good discussion, what with your obsession with LP.
You aren’t the first and certainly won’t be the last. He has a way at winding up the forum...
No obsession at all, we happen to disagree on many things and agree on others. I simply state I won't continue to reply so as not to derail the thread. If i were obsessed I'd carry it on. Some people simply don't like differing opinions.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just to clarify the “it’s not you that’s important “ meaning the foot paying public general golfer are important when it comes to Trump and the R&A

D

Deleted member 1147

It’s interesting to note as well how rarely Turnberry has hosted the Open.
According to wiki’ only 4 times, to Troon’s 9.
So it’s obviously never been a favourite of the R&A.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I really liked Troon, stunning course and would love to be able to afford it play it .

i was lucky enough to win vip tickets from golf monthly the last time it was held there.

if anyone’s never been I would strongly recommend going, it’s also an easy train journey from Glasgow as well :)