The one shot you remember most clearly

S

Snelly

Aged 15 in 1986 on a summers day with my Grandpa, playing the 7th hole at Hallowes golf club near Sheffield, I hit a four wood to the green. The ball bounced twice and then flush into the hole for an albatross.

Plenty of others stick in the mind from over the years but this one is the strongest memory.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
18th hole 220yd uphill Tiger stinger with a 5-wood, restricted backswing and had to draw it 30yds. It was a beauty and my mate said it was the best shot he'd seen in 20yrs golfing.

Hole-in-one 167yd fade with a 6-iron... slight wind off the left.

Making all 4 par 5's in 2 shots at East Sussex National and birdieing all of them.

My final putt to shoot 67 (actually I can remember all 67 shots).

That's not hard - I can usually remember the first 67 shots - its the next 30 or so that get a bit hazy...

My longest ever drive - measured at 356 yards on the 18th at Aberdovey. Where the shot came from I've no idea - but I know where it went. And a shot on the 14th at Prestwick St Nicholas. After a poor drive, a good 5 iron from the light rough was intended to leave me a 40yd or so pitch to the green. It left me with an 8ft putt instead. Both were the sort of shots that get you thinking "how did I do that?", and if I could do that all the time I'd be quite good. Ah well...

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Drawing a 9 iron around the trees on our 9th hole to 15 foot.
First time I had tried to draw a ball on the course and it worked a treat.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few but the most recent was at the end of July. I hadn't hit a great tee shot off the 15th tee and was left with about 155 yards, slightly downhill to the green. I smashed a 7 iron that took off with a lovely soft draw (no idea how that happened), landed, bounced and stopped 18" from the hole.

Yes, I made the birdie... ;-)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
For quality of shot. A drawn 5 iron around a copse to 6" from the pin... well, it was actually more like a massive hook. Or the driver second shot into a howling gale, on a par 4, that brought an eagle.

And for atmosphere; 2nd shot into the last at St Andrews. The shot was nowt special but the whole experience of the day was encapsulated in that finish.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
New Years Day
Playing the 18th at The Belfry.
Tried to hit my stock saftey drive with a wee fade. I drew it slightly and hit the perfect shot.
Exact 5 wood to a front green pin position.
Perfect shot, covering the pin all the way, thinking TWO.
Hits the upright of the sleepers edging the water hazzard and goes about 50 feet in the air.
Still looks good.
Lands on the frozen water an bounces about 30 feet in the air
Don't look good.
Comes back onto the ice and bounces about a dozen times before joining the other 50+ balls.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aged about 12 out with my dad, on the 18th at Hankley Common. My third shot, a pitching wedge after laying up, over the little valley that fronts the green, and holing it for a birdie. Possibly the shot that really confirmed my love of this wonderful crazy game.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The shot I remember most clearly came in a pairs Guildford Greensomes competition. Partner and I have a bit of a good score going when it came to our 18th. Par 4, 472 yards uphill off the whites. Partner has put his tee-shot in the bunker and I have nearly followed him in, but come up a foot short. Left myself a fair way to go to the green, and partner can't get his anywhere near. Playing off 24/25 (at the time), I hit possibly the best 6-iron I could have and it was all over the pin, coming to rest about 8ft away. Unfortunately, my partner missed the putt, but the shot still remains as clear as anything. I was going to hit 5-iron to the green, but partner got me to club down, to allow for the adrenaline!!

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last Sunday I was playing a relaxed game with a few mates, most who have only just taken up the game and playing of 28 and shooting 120/130 round. Anyway one mate is a very good footballer but as we're all getting on a bit (i've now quit football) we're all talking about what we'll do next, I'm obviously trying to persuade them to take up golf! Anyway on a relatively short par four he cream his 3 wood straight down the middle. He was well chuffed, my drive went of the left hand rough but was slightly longer, he said my shots better than yours to which I replied well it all depends on what you do next! So he walked up to his ball took out a 8 iron, prob about 140 to the middle of the green and sank it one bounce and in....... cue jumping for joy, whooping and man hugging! In the bar after he said that has to be his best sporting memory every, even playing lots of football games and a reasonably high standard for many years one golf shot on his 5th or 6th ever round has taken to top spot! i think he's hooked now!

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had to lay up on a par 4 after a poor tee shot left me no shot to the green, left myself 65 yards into the pin but with some big trees about 20 yards in front of the green, had a choice to either punch one under and run it up the green or play over the top of them. Decided the easiest shot for me was to go over them, pulled my 56 degree wedge out, took note of the slight left to right wind so aimed a few yards left of the cup, hit the most perfect shot, over the trees, started to fade into the pin on the wind, took a bounce dead in line with the pin and released towards the hole......I am one for talking to myself on the course so said something along the lines of "Damn that's a good shot, surely that's got to go in the hole". Sure enough, after pitching about 3 feet short of the pin it fell right in the middle of the cup for a very unlikely birdie.

It was probably the best approach shot I have ever played and what makes it even easier to remember is that it was probably the shot that won me the competition that day which also happened to be my first ever competition win.

When did this happen?? I have never heard this story before!! Haha

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Short one:

Golf day at Hurtmore, standing on the driveable par 4, no 7. Partner fancies driving the green with a bit of tail wind. Wide stance, composes himself, coils up slowly....he unleashes, grunting as the club steams down to the ball. Continues to grunt loudly at the driver head makes contact with top atom on the ball. The ball rocks in the tee a few times, before dropping off backwards just as the golfer wraps the driver around his neck on follow through and falls over on his ar$€.

MikeTimbers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Playing at Great Lakes in Thailand many years back in a society vs society day. The entire two societies are waiting by the first and it's agreed that the two captains will play plus each society's lowest handicapper which meant me (at the time I was off 6).

My captain then goes and wins the toss and tells me to go first (Gulp)

I tee it up and then swing. Went under it and ballooned it higher than it went forward and barely made it passed the Ladies' Tee.

Cue much laughter and rude comments plus a particularly cutting remark from the other captain.

I then had to walk forwards to hit again in full view of the crowd.

I did get my own back as I parred that first hole despite my tee shot, birdied the second and the third before then parring the stroke 1 fourth, at which point the opposing captain apologised for upsetting me on the first tee. :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
My final putt to shoot 67 (actually I can remember all 67 shots).

How long ago was it J?

I can't remember a single shot of my lowest ever gross score. (2 over, West Middlesex, 1996). I can't even remember 50% of my 75 at Hawkstone two season back.....and yet I remember my first ever birdie (Gatton Manor, Surrey) from about '94.