The odd flyer

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We all have yardages in our head of how far we hit each club. prob 3 or 4/5 we come up short because of strike. This I can handle. I'm not the person to take an extra club in case I mishit it. I'm never gonna play for a bad shot.

The thing I don't get is flyers from a fairway. Say my 9 is 150 on a proper hit solid shot. No wind and no elevation changes, I'm hitting 9 all day. However, ever now and then I make a conection which immediately I know is so pure I know it's going long.

Where does this come from? And does anyone else have these? I play Callaway Apex 16s if it helps. Lofts stronger than blades, but not stupid I don't think

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
afraid that's just goin to happen sometimes with these kinda irons

take it you have the apex cf 16's

these like the manufacturers similar models are built for distance so the face is as 'hot' as regs allow along with bunch lower lofts e.g. cf 16 7i is 31º but with an undercut back & perimeter weighting - so designed to enable a higher launch angle even though the loft is lower
what this allows is folks to present at impact a lower dynamic loft at strike if on occasion that's married with a decent for the whichever iron negative angle of attack - you produce a narrow spin loft angle - narrower the spin loft angle the lower the spin rate

so occasionally that can produce the perfect storm for 'extra' distance - contact at sweet spot center with a forward leaning shaft that reduces dynamic loft along with an optimum -AoA # - & you still get high launch off a 'hot' face with a very low spin rate so the ball will just fly

compare lofts say from the apex cf16's where a 7i is 31º with a pretty fat clubhead & a hot face
to the apex 16 pro's clubs I use where the 7i is 34º (6i is 30º) but with a much smaller clubhead less meat to the back of it not undercut no real hot face so launch angle is more true to loft spin rate much more true to loft

so the 16 pro's 7i with a decent strike is goin to produce a spin rate much more around 6500 rpm to 7000+ rpm at a small range of difference with spin rate so distance control is at a premium

the cf16's (& similar gi clubs with their very particular design remit - distance) that 7i is goin to produce a spin rate at around 4000 rpm sometimes high 3500 rpm & out to 5500 rpm (ball park) so those lower spin rates still hit out close to center are just goin to fly long whenever they occur

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The coach has given a great technical explanation; I'll present the simpler issue that from time to time you will get a little grass or moisture on the back of the ball, or even intervening grass on even quiet short cut fairways to deliver your more classic flyer.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
this is what i was talking about during the thread above game improvement irons. people saying you should use them because "why make to game harder"

what you have described is the down fall with gi irons. that and the apex do a have a particularly hot face too

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have always thought we don't hit it out of the middle as much as we think.

What you are seeing is your perfect shot when all things in the swing and strike are perfectly aligned.

This is how the pros hit most of the time.

Have you ever played a little 3/4 shot and bang perfection gone 20yds further than you meant because it's been hit properly.

Thats my excuse anyway when I hit it over the green.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dave, its because you swing out your shoes on your low irons, and why I think you can have a distance dispersion of 20-30 yards for 1 iron.

If you can learn to hit them at 70%/80%/90% for better distance control, I think it would come down. Other things like putting the ball further forward/backward in your stance, going a few inches down the shaft can be things to do before even changing length of swing.

If you hit your 9 iron anything between 135 and 170 yards, its not a good thing.

Macho man!! - See Homer's half swing videos for help.:whistle:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
this is what i was talking about during the thread above game improvement irons. people saying you should use them because "why make to game harder"

what you have described is the down fall with gi irons. that and the apex do a have a particularly hot face too

There's some truth to this, have experienced it
What I would say though is that it's infrequent so wouldn't have that much impact when compared to the impact of a poor ball striker using 'players' clubs who may benefit from GI clubs

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dave, its because you swing out your shoes on your low irons, and why I think you can have a distance dispersion of 20-30 yards for 1 iron.

If you can learn to hit them at 70%/80%/90% for better distance control, I think it would come down. Other things like putting the ball further forward/backward in your stance, going a few inches down the shaft can be things to do before even changing length of swing.

If you hit your 9 iron anything between 135 and 170 yards, its not a good thing.

Macho man!! - See Homer's half swing videos for help.:whistle:

Funny how everyone is thinking it's the sticks.... Until a few key pieces of the puzzle turn up from a third party....

No no no, it's all those dodgy GI irons, nothing whatsoever to do with the bloke at the other end ...

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
cut into the vid at 7:39 (if don't want to watch the whole deal) - speaks to the issues that at times when the swing motion puts certain impact conditions into the strike - the ball can & does fly considerably further than the norm median from a greater number of strikes with a club - the issues I was speaking to in post #2 -

this can occur with strikes from a mat - so without grass or moisture interference
I've hit a friend cf16's mid/short irons (6i to pw) against my own apex pro 16's - the distance variance with the cf16's totally would not suit my game as distance control is ways to unreliable this group of irons just go too far - & they will fly on occasion despite the % of swing effort put in - have hit a cf16 7i with a carry of 195 + 17 yards run out over normal weather & ground conditions but also a good number of shots at 180-185 carry but all shots happened with the same 85% swing motion

nothing wrong with gi irons at all - don't see that being said anywhere here - they have been produced to help folks who need distance with also a tad higher degree of forgiveness for those at the game level that need it - they will help more times than they present a problem - but they will fly

[video=youtube;Y_pMMz2bldo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_pMMz2bldo[/video]

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had the same issue with a set of TM tp CB’s with speed slot things. Every now and again they went ‘forum distances’. Great on a range with a launch monitor, not when you fly a green and go oob in a medal...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
strong lofts aside i had a bit of an eye opener a couple of weeks ago when trying some new irons. one of the heads had strike tape on and that went 20 yards further than than the same head same shaft. Pro mentioned that same can sometimes come from mud/ water or other substances on the face. Apparently some used to put Vaseline on the face to get the same effect.