The NHS - Decent basic nursing is what we need from it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
From 93 the labour increased funding to the NHS by close on and occasionally more than inflation. Sounds fantastic doesn't it? What they never said was each year they imposed a 6% efficiency saving programme. As for your it was wonderful in the 90's... I worked across 4 hospitals at that time. It was bloody awful! The number of mgt posts took off, many of which were filled by clinicians who may well be good clinicians but proved to be poor managers. Not their fault to be fair - it was like telling a plumber he had to micro manage a bunch of joiners.

As a supplier to the NHS from 98 to 2015 I saw clinicians and Civil Servants trying to make commercial decisions for the first few years, but increasingly be replaced by a new breed of commercially astute managers.

The death knell to the NHS may well come under a Tory govt, some time in the next few Parliaments, but the P.F.I.'s started by Blair are equally to blame. And Hunt as a Health Secretary is got to be the worst ever.

Have a read of Blair's biography and you will find that the main culprit for the funding gap was Brown. Brown's battle with Blair for many years over how Blair broke a promise over their original promise to each other about who would become party leader. Brown pretty much flatly refused countless requests to increase NHS funding to the levels required.

I never said it was wonderful in the 90s - my wife tells me it is a lot worse now.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Funny how two different newspapers today present the same facts differently - wonder why?

The Times (inside page somewhere)

£1.3bn aid fund will be used to drum up post-Brexit trade

A £1.3 billion overseas aid fund earmarked for countries such as China, India and Brazil will be used to create trading opportunities for Britain when it leaves the EU.

The Daily Mail Front Page (almost all of it)

As social care crisis here leaves woman of 89 stranded on ward for SIX months...

YOUR AID
MILLIONS
TO HELP
ELDERLY
IN CHINA

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Funny how two different newspapers today present the same facts differently - wonder why?

The Times (inside page somewhere)

£1.3bn aid fund will be used to drum up post-Brexit trade

A £1.3 billion overseas aid fund earmarked for countries such as China, India and Brazil will be used to create trading opportunities for Britain when it leaves the EU.

The Daily Mail Front Page (almost all of it)

As social care crisis here leaves woman of 89 stranded on ward for SIX months...

YOUR AID
MILLIONS
TO HELP
ELDERLY
IN CHINA
Fair comment if it's true.