The Masters 2021

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How much English can Matsuyama speak? He was rookie around 10 years’ ago and seemed to understand wht was being said to him. Cannot be worse to David Beckham when he went to Madrid and learnt “Hola”!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
How much English can Matsuyama speak? He was rookie around 10 years’ ago and seemed to understand what was being said to him. Cannot be worse to David Beckham when he went to Madrid and learnt “Hola”!

He's quite a shy lad and doesn't actually speak much English. He may understand what is being said, but doesn't speak a lot, which is why his interpreter travels the globe with him, and has done for years (good gig). Schauffele has Japanese heritage, his grandparents live in Japan, he was chatting with Matsuyama in Japanese at times during the weekend.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can remember reading a while back that, as Japan is absolutely golf bonkers, the first Japanese major winner would be guaranteed $100 million in advertising. Not a bad weekend’s work.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well this years Masters sort of passed by

It seemed to lack any sort of excitement and fell flat - i think it’s the first time I have ever switched off on a Major at around 10 each day

Great win for Matsyuama though and this was great to see

I just hope the US and The Open have a lot more excitement to them

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can remember reading a while back that, as Japan is absolutely golf bonkers, the first Japanese major winner would be guaranteed $100 million in advertising. Not a bad weekend’s work.
They are bonkers for golf but not many can afford to be club members, there's not a lot of room for golf courses there so most people play in driving ranges over the top of car parks.

A big Japanese company I did some work for created their own company course where a lot of it was blasted from the mountain side. When I visited they used to ask me to just bring my golf shoes and would supply everything else.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

It is, some of the best golf stores, driving ranges and golf courses I've ever been to. The golfing experience at a private course is pretty impressive.

Matsuyama is not the first Japanese major winner though, he's the first male Japanese golfer to win a major. Two women from Japan have won golf majors — Hisako Higuchi at the 1977 LPGA Championship (the first Japanese golfer to win a major and 73 career wins over all) and Hinako Shibuno at the 2019 Women's British Open. They all have star status in Japan and earn a fortune in advertising and sponsorship .