The Masters 2021

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Did I say it did matter? Just wondering and also wondering whether I am allowed to ask a question on The Forum? Would it be preferable if I ran it by you first along with any other posts I may consider!
Just a strange question. One that has appeared on other SM in a derogatory tone.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How much English can Matsuyama speak? He was rookie around 10 years’ ago and seemed to understand wht was being said to him. Cannot be worse to David Beckham when he went to Madrid and learnt “Hola”!

How many languages can you speak?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many languages can you speak?
That's valid, but also in fairness Matsuyama spends the vast majority of his working life in English-speaking countries, it is a little surprising if he can't speak any English at all. But then again if he spends all his time practising or playing he might not have time to learn.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Someone was asking whether his interpreter would get a seat at the Champions Dinner or at least get some food in an adjacent room

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Well this years Masters sort of passed by

It seemed to lack any sort of excitement and fell flat - i think it’s the first time I have ever switched off on a Major at around 10 each day

Great win for Matsyuama though and this was great to see

I just hope the US and The Open have a lot more excitement to them

Why was it not exciting? HM cruising till 15th and then he goes into big trouble? Which means potential for a first timer to win, or XS.
Then XS blows it.
Then T posts good score with potential for HM to falter once more.

Or is it that there were not the favourites in contention, the Justin's, Rory, Dustin .etc .? Is that what makes it exciting for you?
If not, what would have?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It is, some of the best golf stores, driving ranges and golf courses I've ever been to. The golfing experience at a private course is pretty impressive.

Matsuyama is not the first Japanese major winner though, he's the first male Japanese golfer to win a major. Two women from Japan have won golf majors — Hisako Higuchi at the 1977 LPGA Championship (the first Japanese golfer to win a major and 73 career wins over all) and Hinako Shibuno at the 2019 Women's British Open. They all have star status in Japan and earn a fortune in advertising and sponsorship .
For some reason I thought Isao Aoki was more successful on the tours (other than Japanese) than he was. Must have simply have been that he was a Japanese playing regularly in The Open that has made him stick in my memory.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
That's valid, but also in fairness Matsuyama spends the vast majority of his working life in English-speaking countries, it is a little surprising if he can't speak any English at all. But then again if he spends all his time practising or playing he might not have time to learn.

He was speaking to JD, so probably does speak English. But probably didn't want to formally in front of millions on TV. He appears to be quite shy.

The same question keeps being asked of Bielsa. Who also speaks very good English, but has chosen not to to the media.

Either way, why does it matter what languages a player speaks? (not having a dig at you with that question btw)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why was it not exciting? HM cruising till 15th and then he goes into big trouble? Which means potential for a first timer to win, or XS.
Then XS blows it.

Or is it that there were not the favourites in contention, the Justin's, Rory, Dustin .etc .? Is that what makes it exciting for you?
If not, what would have?

It isn't the British Open, that's the issue ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Then XS blows it.

If not, what would have?

I just found all four days hard work to watch.

It just seemed to lack a great deal of excitement - normally I watch every round until the end , every day I was done by 10 as it just seemed very dull.

Maybe it was the way it was produced or presented but there just seemed to be very little thrills or excitement that put someone on the edge.

Maybe it was too close to the last one but it just fell flat to me -and it was a comment I saw from many people on social media

It isn't the British Open, that's the issue ?
Never heard of it

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a lot of very cautious golf, especially around the greens, which I found a little dull this year. It just lacked a lot of drama. It wasn't bad golf, but it was all a bit slow and tippy tappy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed the Masters as I usually do. The final day threatened to be a damp squib, as the challengers were all sort of melting away and there wasn't much pressure on Matsuyama for a while, most of the front 9 let's say. Then Xander finally pulled a few birdies together and there was almost a contest, but then he tossed that in the bin by tripling the 16th. Hideki almost limped in, and hard to believe he only won it by one shot since there didn't seem to be a proper sustained challenge to him, Zalatoris just felt like he was quietly sneaking round in the background. It wasn't a memorable Masters Sunday for the ages, but there was some excitement there, like when Hideki bizarrely flew the 15th green and had to recover it. I think several of the top players not making the cut (Rory, DJ, Koepka, Cantlay, even Westwood) probably lessened the excitement factor for a lot of people.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Could be that he feels he's going to convey his thoughts and feeling better in his mother tongue.

sunshine

Visit site

To be fair it would be helpful if some of the other winners had an interpreter too. I couldn't understand a word of Bubba Watson's interview when he won.