The Machrie, Machrahanish and Machrahanish Dunes Early Autumn 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 17920
  • Start date

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Discussion reminds me that I must get on to my brother and sort out using his house on Islay - he's a member of Machrie. Must ask him if he prefers Machrie to Murcar - he lives just outside Aberdeen and was a member of Murcar for a number of years (these days a member of a neat little 9-holer - Dunecht House)
If he needs any work doing in the summer I’m happy to look after the house for him ?

The Lion

Visit site
Perhaps it could be repeated next year? I was checking out opens down that way the other day, and ended up registering or the Machrie open (Islay Open) next May. I think it's now full, but we could certainly organise another Southern Scotland trip if people are interested? I'm always keen on Scotland, even if I am a newbie here!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
When The Forum descended on The Machrie in 2020 we got a really good deal as we were the first group after lockdown and the place was reopening and was virtually empty.
We paid just under 400 for 2 rounds at The Machrie, 1 night B&B at the Machrie, plus 2 nights B&B at A hotel in Machrihanish plus rounds at Machrihanish, Machrihanish Dunes and Dunaverty.

Ferries extra, but an incredible deal

Now the guest greenfee at The Machrie is £115, visitor green fee is 180
1 nights B&B at The Machrie in October is minimum £266 .

So staying 1 night and playing 2 rounds is nearly £500

If you reckon an Air BNB might cost 100 per night that’s still £460 staying off site

Plus ferries , fuel, overnight accommodation there and back for those down south, you’re not getting much change out of a grand for 2 days golf.

but it’s Islay, with all that whisky 🥃

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I would suggest going for an Open there. Accommodation on the island is limited and can be expensive. The 2 day open which we have just attended was £130 odd for 3 rounds (including practice) and the course just gets better and better.

The event is top class and the trip is 100% worthwhile.

Maybe don’t do a massive forum meet as it gets unwieldy. Take 3 or 4 of your mates and keep it simple

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
I would suggest going for an Open there. Accommodation on the island is limited and can be expensive. The 2 day open which we have just attended was £130 odd for 3 rounds (including practice) and the course just gets better and better.

The event is top class and the trip is 100% worthwhile.

Maybe don’t do a massive forum meet as it gets unwieldy. Take 3 or 4 of your mates and keep it simple

I'm hoping to play this next year. Do you have to be quick off the mark with entry and accommodation? Did you stay at the Machrie or just somewhere nearby?