The Machrie, Machrahanish and Machrahanish Dunes Early Autumn 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 17920
  • Start date

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow, Just wow.

Thanks for so many positive comments.

The courses were magnificent, the hotels and food superb and the weather for October was just the icing on the cake.

This has to be the hardest meet I have had to arrange in all the time that I have been doing these.

Its taken well over 100 hours of my time to do this one, the stress with hotels and dealing with 4 different courses, 2 hotels and so many different people down to furlough issues I was amazed we actually got to go.

We had over 60 names at one point and eventually ended up with 28 on the trip so whilst not the biggest its certainly been the most eventful.

Thanks to @Captainron for helping with the comps and tee times as his work has been invaluable on this trip. He listens to me whilst I am stressing and this trip has been a lot of stress getting to the point where it nearly got cancelled a few days before the event but one hotel went above and beyond to make sure we still got to go.

As for next years meet............

I think we are going to a break on organising these as we have had a good run but I could do with a break.

As someone who has attended pretty much all of your other unbelievably varied meets, Glyn, I'd have to say what a great achievement it was for getting this one done through extremely difficult circumstances.
However you won't get me (& perhaps Crawford as well) feeling guilty for tempting you to take on this last challenge, as you were always going to get enormous satisfaction & enjoyment from this visit to one of the UK's most remote golfing areas....... Now time for a well earned rest & a chance to concentrate on your own game.
All the best & hoping to bump into you again on some fairways somewhere.

The Lion

Visit site
Wow, Just wow.

The courses were magnificent, the hotels and food superb and the weather for October was just the icing on the cake.

This has to be the hardest meet I have had to arrange in all the time that I have been doing these.

Its taken well over 100 hours of my time to do this one, the stress with hotels and dealing with 4 different courses, 2 hotels and so many different people down to furlough issues I was amazed we actually got to go.

We had over 60 names at one point and eventually ended up with 28 on the trip so whilst not the biggest its certainly been the most eventful.

Thanks to @Captainron for helping with the comps and tee times as his work has been invaluable on this trip. He listens to me whilst I am stressing and this trip has been a lot of stress getting to the point where it nearly got cancelled a few days before the event but one hotel went above and beyond to make sure we still got to go.

I think we are going to a break on organising these as we have had a good run but I could do with a break.

I'm a new member here, and I'd just like to say I've found it interesting observing some of the drama of organisation from afar; I even briefly considered coming last minute, but couldn't make it work. So I just wanted to give you kudos for making such a huge effort! (y)

For the future, I'm based in Liverpool and am a member of a club in Wales. I also have country memberships in Scotland, plus am hoping to join a club more local to me, although it may be a while. In essence, I've got quite a bit of trip and course knowledge and am keen to come on future forum meets, but also potentially help organise a few for next year and beyond, so am happy to help as much as I can, even suggest ideas for trips, if people are game...

Best wishes
The Lion

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a new member here, and I'd just like to say I've found it interesting observing some of the drama of organisation from afar; I even briefly considered coming last minute, but couldn't make it work. So I just wanted to give you kudos for making such a huge effort! (y)

For the future, I'm based in Liverpool and am a member of a club in Wales. I also have country memberships in Scotland, plus am hoping to join a club more local to me, although it may be a while. In essence, I've got quite a bit of trip and course knowledge and am keen to come on future forum meets, but also potentially help organise a few for next year and beyond, so am happy to help as much as I can, even suggest ideas for trips, if people are game...

Best wishes
The Lion
Welcome matey.... you couldn't be in a better position than the NW though, at times, there's a lot to head south for. Hope to maybe link up at some time on one of the NW's meets as there's very little activity in this area or the NE/

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Genuinely the best golf trip I’ve ever been lucky enough to go on.

It was fantastic start to finish and I can’t give enough Kudos to Glyn and Cam for squaring it all away in such a smooth and pleasant way. Everything ticked with military precision and that must have taken some huge planning.

The machrie was probably my favourite golf resort I have ever visited (and I’ve been to some pretty swanky places) and apart from witnessing fully grown men drinking ladies drinks, it was amazing start to finish. What a place. Just stunning in every aspect.

Have to say though. The ferry back across was the highlight. ?

‘Tell them’ Cam...

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Jealous that I wasn't brave enough to bite the bullet and go.

But very glad the weather paid off for all the efforts of the organisers and those who committed themselves to go. Loving the pictures and write ups. Gives a sense of what the trip was like and one to add to the bucket list.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Best wishes
The Lion

Getting on some of the forum meets opens up a whole new world so quite a few on here with previous mega-meets to Aberdeen (Cruden, Murcar, Trump and Carnoustie), plus Inverness (Dornoch, Castle Stuart, 4-5 others) and the most recent one has seen many friendships made.

Yearly H4H meets at Surrey heathlands, 2 x Sunningdale trips, plus many other regulars like Cooden and Forest pines also sees good but less expensive courses give options to all. 6 scousers were on last weeks trip, as well, out of 26, and more from the NW see us well represented at some of the meets.

Just one question - which is the best course out of Hillside and Formby?

Choose well, mon ami. :D

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Wow, Just wow.

Awesome job Glyn! ? Rick got me to join him on the Trump/Carnoustie trip after a Mid-Am event. He sold it as ‘the best golf meet you’ll find anywhere in UK’. He was right! Everyone I’ve attended has been 5* golf, accommodation, venue (& sometimes even weather).
Can’t begin to imagine the hours that go into getting the deals you continue to get for us on these trips.

Happy retirement Mr. Sinatra ?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Genuinely the best golf trip I’ve ever been lucky enough to go on.

It was fantastic start to finish and I can’t give enough Kudos to Glyn and Cam for squaring it all away in such a smooth and pleasant way. Everything ticked with military precision and that must have taken some huge planning.

The machrie was probably my favourite golf resort I have ever visited (and I’ve been to some pretty swanky places) and apart from witnessing fully grown men drinking ladies drinks, it was amazing start to finish. What a place. Just stunning in every aspect.

Have to say though. The ferry back across was the highlight. ?

‘Tell them’ Cam...

I blame Peter (Liverbirdie), he said that Baileys & Tia Maria with ice was a must try, so I did :sneaky: