The Low Punch Shot - How ?

m1975

Club Champion
Visit site
I play a wooded parkland course.
When in trouble i struggle with a low punch shot, either trying with a 4 iron to gain distance or with say a 7 iron close to a green or when trying to chop out sideways. a friend has advised me to play the ball back a bit more in my stance and pushing hands forward slightly - any more advice/tips?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Club up and swing easy, as the harder you hit it, the more spin it will have, the faster it will climb, which kind of isn't the point.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes move the ball back in the stance, use a longer iron with a shorter punch swing. Shorter back and even shorter through. Works for me, and i am always punching out from under trees ! :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If the ball is back in your stance AND the hands are pushed forward the clubface will be pointing to the right so you will need to align a little to the left to get the ball started straight. Sounds like a recipe for hitting fat shots as you'll also be really chopping down on the ball.

What kind of distance are we talking?

I'd personally play them with feet fairly close together, ball in the middle, 90% weight on the left leg and hands (club grip) forward of the ball at impact... should get a nice little draw :)

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd personally play them with feet fairly close together, ball in the middle, 90% weight on the left leg and hands (club grip) forward of the ball at impact... should get a nice little draw :)

Same for me. I find if I put the ball back I chop down even more and hit it even higher

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm assuming you are trying to hit a good distance 150 yards plus. Chip out sideways i agree with James, but for a longer shot move the ball back. Club face will look like it is hooded at address, when in fact it is square.

Not sure by delofting the club, and hitting the ball first it should be going higher.

m1975

Club Champion
Visit site
thanks for the tips, no doubt will get chance to try these out at the weekend

it is both 15 yarders to get out the trees back onto fairways and also the 100 yarder forward when no safe option. just cannot seem to keep ball down
thanks

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I play most of my golf on links courses, so a punch is quite useful to have if its windy or like you are under a tree etc.

If you only want to hit it up to 100 yards I would use a 7 iron, back in your stance, hands forward and swing easy. Most of all don't get greedy.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
There is an instruction in latest GM showing how to play low punch. Similar to what i said although i forgot to mention getting more weight on left side at address.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
a more experienced doubles partner got me playing it with a 5-iron, keeps it lower under trees. I've since played it with 3, 5 and 7 (just the odd irons for some reason) they all work but as you say 'don't get greedy'