The Lambourne, Burnham Beeches & Flackwell Heath

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Playing The Lambourne, Burnham Beeches & Flackwell Heath next week on a mini Bucks golf tour of sorts!

Has anybody played any of the above and got any insight / tips / opinions? Hoping the golf is a good as the weather forecast is looking!

Cheers :D

The Lion

Visit site
I’m from round there originally yet strangely have never played any of those.

In case no-one else can help, here’s the little I know:

Flackwell is hilly in places, Lambourne is a modern course built in the early 90s, BB a storied undulating parkland/woodland course.

Together you’ll get a nice variety. Hope that helps.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Played them all, Flackers is a bit mountain goat territory, but without a massive cardiac hill,
The other 2 are fairly flat, with a few undulations
All decent courses
Enjoy

Grizzly

Visit site
Not played the Lambourne. Burnham Beeches is an enjoyable ramble, you should enjoy it. Flackwell sort of divides opinions - it has a hilly nine and a flat nine, of which i much prefer the former - and some sharply sloping greens. It can be difficult if they choose some of the... sillier pin positions!

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated.

Sounds like a good few days ahead. Slight concern re Flackwell - Wycombe Heights has been suggested as an alternative (Flackwell is the Saturday round, so limited for a morning tee time on a decent course).

Any thoughts on Wycombe Heights or possible alternatives, or, shall we stick with Flackwell?

Many thanks :)

Grizzly

Visit site
Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated.

Sounds like a good few days ahead. Slight concern re Flackwell - Wycombe Heights has been suggested as an alternative (Flackwell is the Saturday round, so limited for a morning tee time on a decent course).

Any thoughts on Wycombe Heights or possible alternatives, or, shall we stick with Flackwell?

Many thanks :)

Oh lordie, Flackwell has its quirks but it is a LOT better than Wycombe Heights. Aside from the fact I've ve never made it around WH in under five hours, it's a really dull course, with some of the slowest greens you will ever encounter.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Reassuring to know that Flackwell Heath seems to be fine as the Saturday option! Hopefully a bit of rain in the interim period to soften the greens up a bit.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Enjoy the Red Kites at Burnham Beeches. IIRC the locker room at The Lambourne is more like something out of a gentleman’s club than a golf club. Both of those two are perfectly nice courses, haven’t played the other one.

JT.

Visit site
Played all three - Burnham Beaches is by some distance the best, I like Flackwell but as others have said it divides opinion (it’s much better than Wycombe Hights). Only played Lambourne once and wouldn’t rush to go back.

You could consider Beaconsfield or Temple in that area - both of which are better than Lambourne IMHO.

evemccc

Visit site
There’s a couple of holes that might be described as slightly mickey-mouse on the front 9 at Flackwell

You can happily let rip on the back 9 with the big stick tho?? I scored quite well also @PNWokingham ?

Not played BB but heard good things…(and to expect the slightly traditional)

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Beaconsfield would be suitable as close to where we're staying, but, impossible to get through on the phone and sounds like not the most welcoming to visitors, somewhat disappointingly!

Played all three - Burnham Beaches is by some distance the best, I like Flackwell but as others have said it divides opinion (it’s much better than Wycombe Hights). Only played Lambourne once and wouldn’t rush to go back.

You could consider Beaconsfield or Temple in that area - both of which are better than Lambourne IMHO.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Good to know regarding Flackwell and as the third round in 3 days, I'm certainly not complaining of it being the easiest! :)

There’s a couple of holes that might be described as slightly mickey-mouse on the front 9 at Flackwell

You can happily let rip on the back 9 with the big stick tho?? I scored quite well also @PNWokingham ?

Not played BB but heard good things…(and to expect the slightly traditional)

The Lion

Visit site
Beaconsfield is also now a rip-off. They all but doubled the County Card rate to £75 from £40 last year, and it’s now £100 a round rack rate. Nuts if I’m honest!

Play Temple instead. It’s a great downland course and at £35 good value. Views and hole quality are among the best in the area too.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
Good to know re Temple and seems to get a lot of positive comments. Will take a look and see if they’ve got any availability over the weekend, though on further inspection looks like no weekend county card rate and is £75 a knock!

Beaconsfield is also now a rip-off. They all but doubled the County Card rate to £75 from £40 last year, and it’s now £100 a round rack rate. Nuts if I’m honest!

Play Temple instead. It’s a great downland course and at £35 good value. Views and hole quality are among the best in the area too.