The jury is out? (new irons)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played today for the first time with a "short" set of these.

MizunoMX-900.jpg

Mizuno MX-900. 5-PW C/F 1 inch longer 2 degrees up, new golf pride red and black.....tasty......

I found them at a Mizuno/Ping fitting centre in Staffordshire and bought them yesterday.

So, today I put away my woods (other than a 5 wood) and went and played.

These are certainly a curious set of irons. 5-7 are a wide-sole "hybrid" affair and 8-PW nice typical Mizuno Forged beauties.

It was an odd experience though.....these a SO different from my MacGregor 565s. Interestingly, the "idea" behind the two sets are quite similar. What I also discovered is that the MPF is actually lower on the Mizunos than the MacGregors despite Mizuno's wild claims about forgiveness....
:D I knew about this before I tried them. I also tried a set of MX-950s and Ping G5 and Callaway X-18.

So, is there something freaking me out?? or is this a boring post about my new toys?

Yes.....the flight of these irons is totally different to what I've got used to looking at for the last year.....these irons have more loft (good :)) and longer shafts. The ball absolutely TOWERS up in the air and lands like a harrier jump jet with snow on.....

Is this right?
Is this normal considering I've switched from STIFF GRAPHITE YS-design to REG TRUE TEMPER D.G.?

Do I like them.....yes!!!.....are they as forgiving.....no!!!.......are they sweet when you get it right.....absolutely.....I hit some of the best iron shots in years today, especially with the 8-PW..... :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes.....the flight of these irons is totally different to what I've got used to looking at for the last year.....these irons have more loft and longer shafts. The ball absolutely TOWERS up in the air and lands like a harrier jump jet with snow on.....

Is this right?

Is this normal considering I've switched from STIFF GRAPHITE YS-design to REG TRUE TEMPER D.G.?

Any takers on this one please?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I would expect the ball to go higher if you have more loft and longer shafts, obviously it is noticeable (you noticed it) but has there been a loss of distance as well (I am guessing not as you said that you hit some great iron shots), if that is the case and there is no loss of lengh the flight may just be higher than you are use to rather than unusually high and not really be a problem. See what your playing partners think.

Also is it a problem hitting it higher do you play on a windy course etc

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would expect the ball to go higher if you have more loft and longer shafts, obviously it is noticeable (you noticed it) but has there been a loss of distance as well (I am guessing not as you said that you hit some great iron shots), if that is the case and there is no loss of lengh the flight may just be higher than you are use to rather than unusually high and not really be a problem. See what your playing partners think.

Also is it a problem hitting it higher do you play on a windy course etc

Distances similar....
1st hole 90 PW - shan*** into a tree!!
2nd hole 150 6 iron, 5 yards past (155)
3rd hole 172 5 iron, 10 yards short (hooked too)
4th hole 132 8 iron, pin high (132)
9th hole 119 9 iron, long (125)
10th hole 144 7 iron, tiny bit short (140?)
13th hole 135 8 iron, tiny bit short (130?)
15th hole 112 PW, 10 yards short (102.....v.v.high?)
16th hole 122 9 iron, (122 pin high, made birdie!)
17th hole 139 7 iron (137, right and off green)
18th hole 112 9 iron (125, through the back)

Not a lot to go on really - a real mixture....

I'm guessing it's more in the shaft than the head?

If my old irons were "genuine" stiff and I come in spot on regular (launch monitor), would the old set have been effectively "low trajectory" for me? (stiff, mid-kick...)

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My irons are MX900s and i love them. The longer irons are easyish to hit and the shorter irons give superb control. been playing with them for my entire golfing life - apart from the first 2 months - and i love them. The ball flight is high, but as you say, they come down steep and this is good when you want the ball to stop on the green. They were £650 when they came out. I got mine for £299 brand new about 1 month before the 950 came out. lovely set of irons.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
The ball flight is high, but as you say, they come down steep and this is good when you want the ball to stop on the green.

Have you tried any other sets in your time?

I know TonyN's Mizunos fly like these...he has Nippon shafts in his.

It may be exactly as intended......but it is pretty high!!

Anyone else experienced changing irons and getting a big difference in trajectory?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
It may be exactly as intended......but it is pretty high!!

Anyone else experienced changing irons and getting a big difference in trajectory?

Anyone?

I could really do with some reassurance before Sunday.....especially if it's windy :)

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ye went from Callaway X12 Pro Series to my MP-37's.

Much more boring flight now.

Andy

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ye went from Callaway X12 Pro Series to my MP-37's.

Much more boring flight now.

Andy

I'm guessing these aren't too high.....

The shop had some MP-60s which I could try I guess.....looked a tad scary!!!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I don't know your game or course. But if you prefer the American style target golf, then I would have thought these would be okay. Bearing in mind your flight observations. It would be a tad conserning an a links course.

There's nothing quite like dropping a 5 iron onto the green and it stopping dead. your playing partners will be dead impressed. You'll just have to get used to the lengths that each club plays.

Worst thing to do is go out and play with all the doubt in your mind. Self fulfilling profercy an'all.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, I did a bit more research and can conclude that this statement (from a golf website) puts my mind at rest.

Remember, I was playing with stiff graphite.

If Your Flex Is Too Stiff, the ball will probably fly lower and shorter for any given loft, compared to a properly fit shaft.

My new irons have regular shafts, more loft (a couple of degrees) the ball flies higher, yet loses no distance.....

Conclusion; I should expect to see these new irons fly higher, especially if the old ones were "artificially low" given the wrong flex.....

I've laid the worry to rest. :)

Thanks to those that helped.....