The ideal opening tee shot?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Is there such a thing? Play at Moortown and that ticks a lot of boxes - a) can hit the driver b) nowhere near the clubhouse c) would have to do something very wrong to hit a provisional/another d) is a par 5 - but there's always the nagging doubt that you're going to miss out on maybe the easiest hole due to early nerves etc

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me any nice wide, short par 4 where I can just hit driver and even if I don't quite get hold of it it still leaves me a mid to short iron in would be ideal. Wouldn't care if people were watching if it were that simple.

First hole at ours is a nightmare, 150-160 yard par three with trees left to lose your ball in, bushes right to lose your ball in, a ditch half way there if you top one, five bunkers around the green if you're short or just miss the green either side, and then a two-tier green to worry about as well. Oh, and if you shank it, your ball is heading straight for the second tee and liable to kill someone. Dreadful way to start a round!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Is there such a thing? Play at Moortown and that ticks a lot of boxes - a) can hit the driver b) nowhere near the clubhouse c) would have to do something very wrong to hit a provisional/another d) is a par 5 - but there's always the nagging doubt that you're going to miss out on maybe the easiest hole due to early nerves etc
I seem to remember not being able to hit driver as it brings the bunkers into play :unsure:
And the website describes it as a daunting shot.

sunshine

Visit site
Par 5 with a wide fairway is a good start. Gives you the chance to recover. A long (but wide) par 4 which a low stroke index seems to work as well - most people get a shot so a bogey is fine.

sunshine

Visit site
First hole at ours is a nightmare, 150-160 yard par three with trees left to lose your ball in, bushes right to lose your ball in, a ditch half way there if you top one, five bunkers around the green if you're short or just miss the green either side, and then a two-tier green to worry about as well. Oh, and if you shank it, your ball is heading straight for the second tee and liable to kill someone. Dreadful way to start a round!

Smallish target, but it's only a 6 or 7 iron. You're swinging a friendly club for the first shot of the day.

You want to try the 1st tee shot at the Berkshire Blue course. 215 yards over a valley filled with heather, anything short or right is dead. Trees and oob on the left. Right in front of the clubhouse bar.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Smallish target, but it's only a 6 or 7 iron. You're swinging a friendly club for the first shot of the day.
Maybe in your wheelhouse but I'd rather be hitting driver for the first shot of the day any day! Iron-striking is probably the worst feature of my game. No practise nets or anything remember so going in cold. So many times I've fatted it or sent it about 40 yards right of the green.

You want to try the 1st tee shot at the Berkshire Blue course. 215 yards over a valley filled with heather, anything short or right is dead. Trees and oob on the left. Right in front of the clubhouse bar
I don't think I can carry it 215 yards so would be a waste of time even trying that one. :LOL:

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site

You want to try the 1st tee shot at the Berkshire Blue course. 215 yards over a valley filled with heather, anything short or right is dead. Trees and oob on the left. Right in front of the clubhouse bar.
Played there the other week and it's a stinker to start a round (though a morning round and a couple of pints at lunch helped)