The Hybrid Chip

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I did try it a few times in a group lesson with a pro, but I found it very awkward to line up correctly. The shaft is just too long and when I choke down on it, that changes the lie angle and I don't feel I have much control over the strike. I normally take my 7 or even my 6 iron and deloft that a bit when I want a chip to just hop over a tiny bit of fringe and then roll out like a putt.

D

Deleted member 16999

From that distance from the green I’d use my 9 iron with a putting action, just goes to show there are many ways to tackle this type of shot, do whatever works for you.
Agree it’s whatever works for the individual, the biggest difference for me on this shot would be ground conditions, as gary put, hybrid can be a better option when the ground is very wet, the 9 iron you risk digging in, using the hybrid reduces that happening to virtually nil.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've tried it once or twice in very damp lies. I found it a bit hard to control distance though as it pops right off the face. Prefer to use the 9 iron at the moment.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I did try it a few times in a group lesson with a pro, but I found it very awkward to line up correctly. The shaft is just too long and when I choke down on it, that changes the lie angle and I don't feel I have much control over the strike. I normally take my 7 or even my 6 iron and deloft that a bit when I want a chip to just hop over a tiny bit of fringe and then roll out like a putt.

Apparently the 'one length' hybrid is proving popular for chipping.
Maybe Gary's next buy :D

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tried today and compared to wet lies it’s much harder to control. Constantly going over the back. Preferred my trusty 8 iron bump

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
if the ball is sitting in a scrubby or bare lie and there is a chance of an iron catching the ground or thinning the shot - great alternative. Wasn't it Tiger who used a 3 wood around a green. If it's good enough for him........

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I used to use this a lot on links courses. It can have a tendency to get a bit 'firey' but that's really just a case of practice - and finding the hybrid that works for you! I'd never consider using it from the rough, though fringe is fine. I've actually used the toe of a putter - with pretty good effect - from juicy rough very close to the pin. And my Pro once showed me a 'toe-shot' with PW (it comes out with apparent topspin) if just in the rough and pin a decent way away!

It's all about finding a shot, practicing it and using it when the conditions suit!

The Hybrid/FW Putt can be very useful at times!

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I use it on courses which have have fairly steep run off areas, Parkstone is a good example of where I use it around the greens.

It comes off the face hotter so need to allow for that, but I play it as a percentage shot when I don't fancy chipping it.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I have been experimenting with this when practicing lately. Once you have got accustomed to how it comes off the face I found it easy and more similar to putting than chipping. As a test I hit 5 chips from different lies around one of our greens with a wedge and the results were much less consistent than with the hybrid.

Will definitely try it in future on bad lies or on downhill lies, where, for me at least, there is a chance of a duff with a wedge or short-mid iron.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tried it a few times from bare, wet mud lies but struggled to control pace. It's a shot I'd need to work on more but here's hoping the warmer weather will allow grass to start growing around the greens and we can all pull better lies and play a normal shot with skill and confidence

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
it may be slightly easier for me to play this shot as i have hybrids of 24 and 27 degrees.

i can imagine those using 18 or 20 degrees will find it shooting out a bit hot.

played a few beauties this evening.

ideal shot if you are on the fairway just short of the green. a good lie is preferable.

i used to be someone who would try and fly everything to the pin, have no problem hitting flop shots but have been trying to take the sensible option more often that not these days.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
it may be slightly easier for me to play this shot as i have hybrids of 24 and 27 degrees.

i can imagine those using 18 or 20 degrees will find it shooting out a bit hot.

played a few beauties this evening.

ideal shot if you are on the fairway just short of the green. a good lie is preferable.

i used to be someone who would try and fly everything to the pin, have no problem hitting flop shots but have been trying to take the sensible option more often that not these days.

I agree with you here, I use a 25 degree hybrid and given that there are no obstructions its a safe and reliable shot to use.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For those saying it comes off the face too hot... try standing a little closer, with a high handle and hit more towards the toe, should be less fiery.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reading this thread reminded me to try the hybrid chip. I only had the opportunity to try it on the short game practice area but the results were excellent right from the start. For the right circumstances it seems a very safe and simple shot to play and as better players keep telling me, it’s better to play the easy shot. I will definitely be using this on the course this year.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Never tried it before, had two opportunities today and both were very good results, (under 3 foot putts).

New arrow added to my quiver! :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I used it yesterday, just to feel I'd given it the trial that I said earlier that I would. I'd missed the green left and had a rather up and down hill shot back on to the green and was a bit short sided. I only carry a 19* hybrid so I went down the shaft and used a putting action, and it popped off the face and ran to the centre of the green, so a little left of my target line but much safer than a chip with gap wedge that I'd normally play.

Definitely a shot for trying more often

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s only something i do when the ball is buried in beside the green side rough.
Another shot I was taught was the thinned wedge putt. If your on the fringe of the green but with a wall of grass behind the ball. Just thin putt it with your lob wedge. Like grass wasn’t even there.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s only something i do when the ball is buried in beside the green side rough.
Another shot I was taught was the thinned wedge putt. If your on the fringe of the green but with a wall of grass behind the ball. Just thin putt it with your lob wedge. Like grass wasn’t even there.

Yep, the belly wedge is another great shot from just off the green.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Personal choice, but I'd advise (passing on the advice of David Howell, who I was watched use it beautifully on the 10th of the West Course) using a high bounce wedge, as opposed to the low bounce of many lob wedges. Far more tolerance to deflections caused by the club travelling through 'unpredictable' grass.