The Hybrid Chip

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So
Anyone else use the Hybrid Chip?
And probably more importantly - in what circumstances..?

Yes, I'll use it if the situation means it's the best option.

Using it at all it's never going to get 'airbourne' to any great extent, so if in the rough, buried or otherwise you can't really use it if your more than couple feet from the fringe & green.

But the shape of the hybrid is really useful to get into thick green side rough just off the green as it's a smoother shape it will slide through better.
I put the ball either middle of a narrow stance or a ball back of middle depending how bad the lie is, weight left.(as always with short chips or pitches)

If the total length of the shot is say under or around 20/25ft I'm more likely to use my putter grip. say the for smaller distances if your a tad short-sided.
If I have a longer runout on the green then I'm more likely to use my normal grip, choked down as I would with any chip/pitch.

The one thing you really have to remember is you're using a 'distance club' (obviously 3/4/5 metal is the same) that's been engineered to have a 'fast face' so the ball is going to come off the face much much hotter than any wedge, iron or your putter. So the stroke, governed by your body/shoulders is a lot lot shorter back & through than you're used to with any other club you'd maybes normally use.

If you're in really thick rough, I'd play it one ball back of middle & 'drop' the club on back of ball so it pops up a bit to escape the lie, but it will come out fast. It's something you really have to practice to get the hang of the length of shot needed for distance traveled, it's a much shorter back & through than you're used to.
It's a 'fast' face on a much lighter club (than wedge. putter) so you just need to get accustomed to that. As it's not a shot that comes up a bunch of times in a round to get used to, you've really got to get out to the practice area & experiment.

If you're on a really bare lie it can also be very useful I'd normally play that from middle of narrow stance or one ball forward of middle at most depending on the lie.

Last edited:

ScratchSRL

Club Champion
Visit site
On the fringe for a long chip on a flat (isn) green it has worked well for me, however totally think that a chip with a wedge is more effective and would yield better results, there isn't a great deal of control in how it is going to come off of the club face with a hybrid, whereas a wedge you have known since you started golfing!

SRL

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the fringe for a long chip on a flat (isn) green it has worked well for me, however totally think that a chip with a wedge is more effective and would yield better results, there isn't a great deal of control in how it is going to come off of the club face with a hybrid, whereas a wedge you have known since you started golfing!

SRL

It really doesnt take much practise to learn how it comes off the club face and get the required control

D

Deleted member 15344

It really doesnt take much practise to learn how it comes off the club face and get the required control

:whistle:

I might actually try it again tomorrow if the situation arises

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone else use the Hybrid Chip?
And probably more importantly - in what circumstances..?

Yes. Often.

Always some crazy long chip. I used to do the same with a 5 wood in the last century....

Mostly for back pins and/or 20 yards short of the green (40 yards short of the flag) on a dry course off a scary lie.

never topped or scuffed one... the % shot. Almost impossible to judge the perfect length, the ball comes of the face SO fast.

I guess the lie is the decider.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I've recently started using my hybrid more around the greens. Grip down & a nice steady putting stroke works a treat for me ;)

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find that sometimes I'm too delicate with wedges so I like the hybrid chip. I play it just like a putt and it comes of nice. Best from questionable lies that if I putted would just pop up and if I chipped I would duff.

If it's good enough for Justin rose and Jason dufner to win majors with then why not give it a bash.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find that sometimes I'm too delicate with wedges so I like the hybrid chip. I play it just like a putt and it comes of nice. Best from questionable lies that if I putted would just pop up and if I chipped I would duff.

If it's good enough for Justin rose and Jason dufner to win majors with then why not give it a bash.

+1

(do we do +1 on here?) :)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love the shot. It is great because you know exactly what the ball will do on landing. There is no chance of it grabbing and not running out or getting a firm bounce forward. You know it will get a bounce forward so you allow for it.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to use this quite a lot but stopped when I too hybrids out of the bag, was thinking of trying it again now the greens are speeding up.

Always really handy for long chips with nothing to go over, really handy if just off the green or on a bare lie too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With all my chipping woes its not a shot I've ever used or practiced. Tempted as many seem to like it and I'd be interested to see how the ball reacts. Not sure I'd be comfy giving it a go without practice but I guess if I could find a way to control the speed off the face it's another option. At the moment though I'm happy working on a chipping stroke that seems to be consistent and progressive and getting back on the putting green and getting those 3 footers nailed again. That's the trouble with this game, always something new to try

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
sometimes they are hard to control.

I used one recently when I had a dodgey down hill lie, 10 yards to the shortsided pin. green like an upturned saucer. just bumped out nicely and gave the chance to get close.

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find it very useful when the ground is wet. Using more of a putting action, the bigger head does not dig in.
I am a truly rubbish chipper by the way!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I use this shot quite a bit, usually from bare lies and when near the fairway/rough boarder.

In our current issue Graeme McDowell actually explains why he uses it and how to play it, and if it's good enough for him...

Pretty much this. If I have a bare lie that I do not fancy a normal chip from then I use a hybrid. Also use it quite a lot to play a long running shot under branches etc. I used to use it from the fringe as well but now tend to get the putter out as I get a better result.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This shot is becoming a firm favourite for me these days. Been using it quite a bit over winter. Especially if I need the ball to run up a slope.

Say I'm using it 3 times a round on average at my home course.

You can play with ball position depending on lie and what shot you are faced with. I play it a little back of middle for one that needs to roll quite a bit. I'll move it up for a much shorter shot.

Its laughably easy to get quite good at it. I use a bit of a stabby motion which I find is easy to control the distance. Ive seen loads of videos where people are using much longer strokes. That isn't for me. I end up smacking it if I do that.

I also vary the hybrid. My 27 for one that needs lifting slightly more in the air before rolling. The 24 for the get that rolling ASAP type one.

Good if the ground is soaked and you fear stuffing the club into the ground.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;xVdP6pJ5uNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdP6pJ5uNw[/video]

Much more chance of holing these than chipping with a 56 wedge for example. How easy did he make this look? it is that easy.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
[video=youtube;xVdP6pJ5uNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdP6pJ5uNw[/video]

Much more chance of holing these than chipping with a 56 wedge for example. How easy did he make this look? it is that easy.

From that distance from the green I’d use my 9 iron with a putting action, just goes to show there are many ways to tackle this type of shot, do whatever works for you.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love a hybrid .. use it for chipping if I have a poor lie, use for putting on temp greens if it’s a bit wet. Great out of low lipped fairway bunkers and also great if your under a tree and need to keep it low.. half swing and it will just punch 100 yards then roll