The Hybrid Chip

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I saw one in the flesh last week at AAC's course. Steve used it to quite good effect.
So I thought I'd give it a go today. Practiced it for about 1/2 and hour and, if I'm brutally honest, I struggled.
Now I know it was only a 30 minute stint but I feel if I'd spent that 30 minutes on "normal" chipping I'd have been much better off.

So
Anyone else use the Hybrid Chip?
And probably more importantly - in what circumstances..?

D

Deleted member 15344

Have tried it on the odd occasions but when I have it doesn't feel very controlled and always seem to over hit it

Would always prefer to use a 7 or 8 iron

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw one in the flesh last week at AAC's course. Steve used it to quite good effect.
So I thought I'd give it a go today. Practiced it for about 1/2 and hour and, if I'm brutally honest, I struggled.
Now I know it was only a 30 minute stint but I feel if I'd spent that 30 minutes on "normal" chipping I'd have been much better off.

So

LMFAO.... Steve played it in front of me a few games back.... I have practiced it, tried using it and now stopped trying to use it..... Hes just messing with us!! :D

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use it all the time from scrubby lies at our course where I dont fancy chipping it but theres too much around to stop me putting it. Can be from the fringe, light rough etc effectively play it as a putt with a tiny bit of loft, and if i need more loft i open the face up a bit. On days where my chipping isnt functioning this can bail me out time and time again

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use it if I find myself in a lie that I'm not happy chipping out of. It's difficult to get used to because the ball comes of the face a lot quicker than it would with an iron or wedge but when you get used to it it can be quite useful. I will admit that now I have seen the light and chip with a bigger range of clubs, I will probably not use this as much.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've used it - and the hybrid putt - on many occasions. Used it a few of times at Ealing to get close.

Both need a bit of practice to get comfortable with. Works with some hybrids much better than others!

D

Deleted member 15344

Rose used it beautifully in the US Open

FC uses it regularly and results are very good for him

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site

So

Being terrified of wedges, I use my hybrid for bump shots a lot of the time. Unless there is something to go over, it is often used. Always get a solid contact and the ball comes off the face quick and is rolling straight away. Had a birdie 2 with it last weekend chipping from off the fringe.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i just can't see why you would use a hybride to chip. why would i, i have much more control with a shorter club such as a wedge or short iron??

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site

So

I tried this for the first time today and hit it way past the hole.
I then went to the practice hole after to try and do it again and managed to keep it under control. I didn't expect it to come off the club face so quickly.
I would definitely use it again though if the lie required me to do so instead of not being convinced using a wedge.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
without doubt the most useful aspect of this shot is the complete absence of spin which makes it an excellent tool where you have to land the ball somewhere other than the green on grass that could catch, snag, grab, your shot. Also dry but longish Summer green surrounds. It aims to remove another variable.

like many such shots you have little chance if you only go to it when all else appears doomed

you also need to practice it constantly in changing course conditions

in addition it's useful on links shots from the sort of distance that would otherwise require a fair bit more power than your standard shot ie 60yd putt!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
i just can't see why you would use a hybride to chip. why would i, i have much more control with a shorter club such as a wedge or short iron??

Ask Todd Hamilton! He used it fairly effectively at Troon in 2004!

His 'magic club' according to Peter Allis.

you also need to practice it constantly in changing course conditions

I agree - as i posted earlier. Doesn't take much to come off the face too fiery, though the MDs that Hamilton used were great for it.

Not one LiverpoolPhil should consider! :whistle:

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

you may have more control with the shorter club, some of us feel that we dont have and hence play the shot that suits us better (were not all the same despite what some on this forum seem to think)