The halfway hut - to stop or not to stop, that is the question? (W Shakespeare)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Friendly game/GM meet then absolutely. Its part of the day and a chance to relax for a few minutes and enjoy a bit of a laugh about the first holes played. In a comp, I'll be honest and say no as I'd like to keep moving if I had a decent score going and would be keen to get it over and done with if it was a disaster. In a matchplay scenario it would be down to the general consensus and I'd go with the flow.

Surely if a group stops and the ones behind have no intention, they should be able to carry on and effectively play through. I can't see how stopping means you are thereby forcing everyone else to do so. I think Sunningdale is the best halfway hut I've had the pleasure of eating in although the one at Camberley on such a hot day was like an oasis in the desert. Mind you it was a real struggle to get up and moving again and I think the halfway curse definitely impacted the scorecard for a few holes.

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
The Big question is did you stop at the FOA Homer? If not you missed out on a cracking sausage sandwich/roll. Quite reasonably priced for a Marriott as well.

We don't have one at our place but I have used them at various courses around the Midlands. If the following group doesn't want to stop let them play through - gives you more time to digest the fare on offer (both culinary and visually).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The Big question is did you stop at the FOA Homer? If not you missed out on a cracking sausage sandwich/roll. Quite reasonably priced for a Marriott as well.

We don't have one at our place but I have used them at various courses around the Midlands. If the following group doesn't want to stop let them play through - gives you more time to digest the fare on offer (both culinary and visually).

No we didn't stop. All three of our group were on a roll and Billy could do with missing the odd halfway hut or two anyway. I was told by more than one person afterwards that it was top quality. Maybe if we'd stopped Bill would have lost his composure and I'd be the champion now instead. Curses.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I did not get the chance to stop at FOA. We had a members 3 ball behind us who were not happy that there was a comp going on ahead of them that they did not know about. Despite the fact that we were up with the group in front etc we had the marshall on our arses from the 7th hole.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ours isn't truly a half way hut as its between the 10th and 11th.
But as the 11th is a difficult 190yd par 3, I think its quite well situated as there's usually a short wait for the green to clear anyway.
There's no hanging about though, just purchase food and drink or some may use the toilet and then head to the tee.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me how many people whine about slow play and the stop at the halfway but for 10mins chatting :confused: Grab a cuppa and a mars bar if you want one and keep moving is my view. West Surrey used to have a highly trained French chef running there's with a nice little table and chairs you could sit on while he freshly prepared whatever you chose from the menu. Well over the top if you ask me and used to wind me up something rotten having to hang around waiting for my playing partners. If you can get what you want in the time it takes the group in front to clear the fairway for you to play and you can eat it on the way round then fine, if not, wait till afterwards.

As Murph says, it only works if everyone stops and we don't all want to stop.

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We have a pretty good one at The Army and generally most people stop and if they dont want to then they play through.

It is a bit of a pain sometimes when things are cooked to order if its only one person in the group but doesnt bother me too much.

Also generally allows reasonable gaps for people starting from the 10th to get in. On Saturday there were 3 or 4 groups waiting to start at the turn so we were going to be held up for a while. Just as well there was bacon sarnies and tea avaiable:)

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Okay, it wasn't really Shakespeare (if, indeed, he even existed...) but it is a question we're addressing in the next issue's 'debate' page.

So you're out on the course, approaching the turn, and there it is - the halfway hut, open and ready for your business. Do you stop or do you walk on past, head down, ready to continue with the serious matter of compiling a decent round? Or does it depend what time of day it is, how well you're playing, whether it's a competitive or friendly round and so on.

Discuss!

Sunday friendly - Stop, it would be rude not to.

Competitions - Usually stop for tea, water.

Matches - offer opponents refreshments.

We are lucky to have a good HWH, if we dont use it we will lose it.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
No we didn't stop. All three of our group were on a roll and Billy could do with missing the odd halfway hut or two anyway. I was told by more than one person afterwards that it was top quality. Maybe if we'd stopped Bill would have lost his composure and I'd be the champion now instead. Curses.
I was already loosing my composure at the turn Homer , hence one of the scouts had a nearly new pro v to play with the next morning ha ha .. i was geting hungry by 14 so decided to hit the ball straight to speed it up & to save me walking ha ..

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If there is one and I havent eaten just before the round, I would stop. Unfortunately our own course doesnt have one though it would be a great idea.

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Love halfway houses,

Played Kingsbarns in a work outing and we stopped on the 10th for a Nice chilled beer...slurp slurp :clap:

Carnoustie has an awesome halfway house...note to oneself dont order sausage rolls....way to greasy for golf.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our club has a half way house and it gets used plenty on a freindly bash. Not really used it in comps yet as mainly as I was playing Saturday PM last year but have changed to 10 am starts this year so may get tempted.

As we have a group start system of the 1st and 10th my group have even been known to visit the hut before starting on the 10th as well as during the round :)

One danger is corporate days out - have been on a few and my advice is if playing well avoid the half way house at all costs as the free beer / pimms etc cant seriously damage your ability to score (if not you - one of your team mates as happened someone in our group last year - lol) If not playing so well or not in contention - live it up and the scores seem better on the back nine even if they actually aren't :)

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Forgot about the one at Mid-Sussex, and agree, nice lady serving.

How has the course survived the wet weather we've had of late?

Golfmmad
Not been up there recently but you are correct in suggesting that courses in the area can get quite boggy after a lot of rain. Saying that though it is drought like in the south east!