The Grip - could this be any clearer?

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ive had to change my grip slightly as im getting pain from the tendons round my left thumb. Stumbled across this and am hard pressed to think of a video or book that makes it any clearer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYYYfFDTZrk

what do we think?

(I know it's couched around TW's grip but it all seems to be there no matter who you are- oh and there are many things I might refer to a part of my wrist as but 'snuffbox' is not one of them- god bless America eh?)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched this about 5 months ago and it took some serious therapy to put my head right......talk about trying to make yourself look clever.
Tiger uses the same grip as almost everyone else, except it's interlocking (Nicklaus) not overlapping (most of the rest).
As for all the other stuff....give me strength....

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
You know, rather than wade through this cr**, you could look at Tiger's book "How I play golf" or read anything by Faldo or Leadbetter.
Sorry, but it's not rocket science......

Why discuss all this stuff, weak/neautral/strong, different line across the hand/different points to intersect....when probably no one need ever know. I understand it (of course, 'cause I'm a clever bloke) but what's the point?, we all know what Tiger does.....telling us other possibilites and then justifying them (for different players) is....well....pointless. I you can't play with a regular grip, better to consult a PGA pro...

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You know, rather than wade through this cr**, you could look at Tiger's book "How I play golf" or read anything by Faldo or Leadbetter.

I have all of those- sadly , until the electronic book is on the market and they release a multi media version of each - they can't compare. One or two photos and a sentence or two (which are by no means exhaustive) compared to an clear and explicit video(and eight minutes is hardly a 'wade' is it? - more a sort of dabble with the left toe). Hmmmm.

Sorry, but it's not rocket science......

I don't think anyone is claiming it is nevertheless it's a fundamental topic that can benefit from a simple and forthright explanation and the video does that.

Take it or leave it.

Why discuss all this stuff, weak/neautral/strong, different line across the hand/different points to intersect....when probably no one need ever know.

This is, quite simply, the most stupendously misinformed statement on golf technique ive heard this year. (Takes golden wreath off Nick Bradley and hangs it round RGUK's neck)

I understand it (of course, 'cause I'm a clever bloke) but what's the point?

Belief is all.

we all know what Tiger does.....

Really? I could have sworn that at least one respondent to this thread didn't- making you wrong and the caveat at the beginning of the thread makes it clear about the TW angle blah blah etc.

telling us other possibilites and then justifying them (for different players) is....well....pointless.

If you have a perfect grip then I guess so.....anyway, for the rest of us it offers a simple guide to the basic permutations and some broad outcomes of adopting each option...even though that's....well..ahem....pointless.

I you can't play with a regular grip, better to consult a PGA pro...
so you'll be chucking all the books and videos youve ever owned (including Leadbetter and TW) and your link to this website away will you? 'A regular grip'? - wass that then?

Try turning up to a pro and asking for him to teach you 'a regular grip' - pish and muddle :D

In conclusion, it's just a short video about the grip that anyone that isn't a 'clever bloke' might find interesting.

For people who are clever blokes - look elsewhere... in a mirror perhaps

:D

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Devil's advocate, I'm sorry, but it's like a red rag to a bull. I don't believe it's a well presented video. Nor do I think it is helpful to offer too many choices to the myriads of confused golfer's out there. I reckon a Pro wouldn't laugh at all if someone turned up for a lesson and asked to re-cap the grip with the most-commonly used grip (regular, as I call it). Pretty much everyone is teaching the same grip to 99% of male golfers aged 16-70. In relation to this video that is the "D" grip, with the right hand thumb a tiny bit right of centre (looking down the grip). Anyone who wants to meddle with the "N" or "C" could see themselves getting terribly confused and/or loose the good work they've put in this far on their grip. Too much information can be a bad thing.......I'm sorry you had to be on the wrong end of the rant. The reason that I replied "to myself" on the second post was to make a point in no-body's direction. I failed, and apologise.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Devil's advocate, I'm sorry, but it's like a red rag to a bull. I don't believe it's a well presented video. Nor do I think it is helpful to offer too many choices to the myriads of confused golfer's out there. I reckon a Pro wouldn't laugh at all if someone turned up for a lesson and asked to re-cap the grip with the most-commonly used grip (regular, as I call it). Pretty much everyone is teaching the same grip to 99% of male golfers aged 16-70. In relation to this video that is the "D" grip, with the right hand thumb a tiny bit right of centre (looking down the grip). Anyone who wants to meddle with the "N" or "C" could see themselves getting terribly confused and/or loose the good work they've put in this far on their grip. Too much information can be a bad thing.......I'm sorry you had to be on the wrong end of the rant. The reason that I replied "to myself" on the second post was to make a point in no-body's direction. I failed, and apologise.

No problem RGUK. No offence taken- we're just locking horns over nothing really. We all have our opinions and I respect yours even if I (infrequently) differ with it (shakes hands).

;)