The Terrible Swing of a 23 Handicapper..

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pretty good swing mate to be fair, especially for a 23 handicap 👍👍

As already pointed out, posture and grip are the obvious things

Posture needs to be more 'angular', less humped. Screenshot it and compare to a pro of your choice, Justin Rose is always a good example

Better posture should help better turn hence better power

Not a bad start though and as mentioned above beautiful transistion many lower handicap players (including me!) would love 👍👍

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys, better comments than I was expecting!

If by hip thrust you mean before the backswing, that's just me bending my knees a bit - I didn't realise it looks like that to the observer though! I only started doing that in the last couple of months because I barely used to bend my knees at all and got no rotation, so doing that is just like a pre-shot routine thing to make sure I get a bit of bend in them.

Yeah I think posture is a problem I have in all walks of life, not just golf! I've spent my life working desk jobs and sitting on trains quite hunched over I think. My missus and my dad are always telling me to stand up straight when I'm walking and stuff. I never realise how bad it is until I see a video or picture of myself (noticed it when watching a video of one of my football matches as well). Something I have to work on generally I guess, somehow.

Haha, the avatar is Steven Toast from the comedy show Toast of London, if you didn't know. Hilarious programme, give it a watch! If you like Father Ted and IT Crowd you'll like it, it has one of the same writers.
Swing not bad at all , sort out your posture angles and expect a cut.

Try this my Phisio told me to

Stand against wall Arse ,Shoulders and head on wall , hands by your sides keep arms straight move them up wall to thumbs touching , you must keep hands on the wall at all times while raising them above your head.
Its very difficult to do if done properly.
You should hear crunching in shoulders well mine do anyway.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I get why you don't want to change the grip but I think you'll find you improve if you make the change now at the start of winter and stick with it - you're limiting yourself massively with that strong a grip.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get why you don't want to change the grip but I think you'll find you improve if you make the change now at the start of winter and stick with it - you're limiting yourself massively with that strong a grip.
Limiting how? Genuine question. I have skinny upper arms (no strength/power) so when I've tried weakening the grip it feels like I have no control of the club.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some excellent players including pros who play with a strong grip. if it works for you then play away - I don't see it as a flaw

Mike Oakville

www.familygolfoakville.com
I think we are all a bit surprised when we see our golf swing when it is played back! In my minds eye I imagined my swing and my stance resembled 'Seve' What a shock!!! Well done on putting your video on display, and it is nice to join a community where so much expert help and advice is given.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think we are all a bit surprised when we see our golf swing when it is played back! In my minds eye I imagined my swing and my stance resembled 'Seve' What a shock!!! Well done on putting your video on display, and it is nice to join a community where so much expert help and advice is given.
It's been a bit of both ends of the spectrum for me actually. I never realised I was so hunched over, so that was eye-opening when I viewed it back. But I expected the rest of my swing to be something of a mess, whereas the comments here have surprised me in their positivity in that respect.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was watching a crossfield vid last night, and I thought of this thread...

https://youtu.be/Ck2sVXuqrYs

Ignore the guitar nonsense...

Basically, amongst the rubbish, he talks very sensibly about what the implications of a strong grip are, why golfers don't like to change, and how getting better sometimes requires doing things that don't come easy...

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think your being a bit harsh on yourself it's not that bad for your H/C posture is a problem but your follow through is good so with a bit of coaching I'm sure you will improve quickly.