The future of Belek, Turkey

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
Went to Belek last month for a golfing holiday after reading some rave reviews. We were a bit sceptical because of the unrest in Turkey at that moment, but glad we went because it really was fantastic.

If anyone doesn't know, Belek is on the south coast of Turkey, and it's a golfing paradise. There's about a 15km stretch along the coast with nothing but 5* hotels and world class golf courses. The Montgomerie Maxx has held the Turkish Airlines Open on the European Tour the last few years, and this year it is being played at Carya Golf Club, a superb venue.

I'd be pretty confident that you wouldn't find a golfing destination anywhere in the world like it, it's obvious that millions have been plowed into Belek with the aim of turning it into THE place to go for a golfing holiday.

With all the money being put into the hotels and the golf courses, I just don't see how this is going to be sustainable with the tourism set to be on its knees following the recent turmoil in Istanbul. When we went a month ago, there was hardly anyone there and that was before the Coup attempt, I dread to think what it will be like in the near future.

It's such a shame because I've never been on a holiday like it, it was simply brilliant. Also, it will be interesting to see if the Turkish Airlines Open, one of the biggest events on the European Tour leading up to the Race to Dubai finale, will go ahead this year as planned.

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was there in at the back end of May with 23 guys from the golf club for 1 weeks golfing never seen it so quite on our first day we played the PGA Sultan the course was absolutely empty, my you the Russians can't get visas because the turks shot down the jet.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd go tomorrow, place will be secure as anything now. Agree abut tourism to Turkey now though, shame really as its such a nice place to go

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
I was there in at the back end of May with 23 guys from the golf club for 1 weeks golfing never seen it so quite on our first day we played the PGA Sultan the course was absolutely empty, my you the Russians can't get visas because the turks shot down the jet.

We played Carya, Monty and Titanic. We didn't see one person on any of the golf courses all week. Amazing but also quite spooky that these magnificent venues are just like a ghost town.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Two of my least favourite holiday countries were Turkey and Egypt. Cannot imagine I would be going back to either country even if the courses are excellent.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Iv been out there 6 times and played every course there, it's an amazing golf holiday, best Iv done and Iv golfed in a lot of places. Sadly this year we won't going purely because it's in turkey and the country is a mess. To dangerous out there just now IMO.
Real shame

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Two of my least favourite holiday countries were Turkey and Egypt. Cannot imagine I would be going back to either country even if the courses are excellent.
Not a place I would take the wife for a holiday but as for a golfing destination You can't beat it we played the Sultan, Montgomerie, Noblis, Gloria New, National, and the best one in my opinion was Lykia Links about 40 minutes travel from Belek not a blade of grass out of place a outstanding links course. Will be going back next year.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Me and her indoors went to Egypt for Christmas and in May, we are due to go in September also. We visited hurghada - loved it.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was in Belek last December, one of the staff told me visitors were down massively, including significant numbers of Russians who may or may not return now.

Being not far along the coast from Syria, I fear that Belek's days are numbered as the large resort it currently is.

D

Deleted member 17920

The only trouble I see is that whilst the hotels and golf courses will still be there no one will fly there charter if the demand isn't there.

Your only route will be via Ataturk airport Istanbul.

I looked at flights next February from Manchester with Turkish and the prices are reasonable but how many people will want to go via Istanbul anymore, it wouldn't bother me but I know it will bother loads of people.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a shame as its a great set-up, we went in April this year and it was noticeably quieter than the previous time we went a few years ago. There will probably be some really good deals for next year, but if they don't get the footfall I can see a lot of the courses closing down.