The Full Wedge Shot

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi there im a fairly decent player, but the only part of my game letting me down is the wedges
Just cant hit the full wedge constantly enough
Any tips to help me

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There is a sensible argument for not hitting a full wedge. And consistency, of spin, is a major reason.

Kyle Stanley is probably a convert to this approach after last weekend!

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I try to hit no more than a 3/4 shot with any of my wedges. Any more than that and I'll probably hit it fat and if I don't hit it fat it'll be a big pull instead.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be honest, I'll hit a full shot if needed. In fact I'd rather hit a full one than a 3/4 or 2/3 shot. Means I don't have to think about changing anything in my normal swing.
It's no different hitting a full 9 iron to hitting a full wedge of any loft.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And you hit your 9 iron consistently?

Actually, at 45*, that PW is a 9 iron for we 'old-schoolers'. No wonder sets are 4-PW!

Could be worth getting lies (and lofts) checked. It made a huge difference when my MP30s were all set to my requirements - my dreaded 6 became my favourite.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Im ok with my 9, But the wedges are there to give me options, Full wedges at different distances so its easier
hitting a half P or Half 9, is taking away my options
Any tips about consitant wedge play would be appreciated

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you can hit your irons consistently then you should be able to hit a standard full wedge shot consistently. But then again no iron should be hit with a full shot. you should always hit an iron at around 80% to increase accuracy and control

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont open the clubface in the backswing or close it in the forward swing, I keep it square to the swingpath, this takes out the timing issues so that you can create the same swing under pressure.

I dont allow the clubhead to pass my hands either, this allows you to maintain the type of loft you set at address through impact. I find rolling of the clubface on such a finese shot is a high risk small reward method.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a 3/4 swing and will hit my wedges at between 75-80%. My wedges are 46,51,56 and 60 degrees and I prefer to hit them full on so they go high and stop when they hit the ground. To vary shots I simply grip down the shaft as far as required to get the desired distance.