The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As my mate always says the invincibles as amazing as it was you can go unbeaten and get relegated.

Not sure I agree with that. Assuming you draw every game in a season that's 38 points. There can't be too many occasions when a team has been relegated with that many points.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
As my mate always says the invincibles as amazing as it was you can go unbeaten and get relegated.

Jose's hardly scored against side was more impressive
I’m not just saying because they were invincible.
Henry,pires,Vierra,Ljungberg,Petit….
They were decent 🤷‍♂️

Swango1980

Visit site
You think so? Do you believe those 3 teams could topple this City squad/team? I appreciate its hypothetical.
100%. Who have City been up against the last 10 years? Liverpool have been decent at times but still a pretty standard midfield, including Hederson when they were flying high. Yet they have been poor several seasons as well. Man Utd have been at their worst since PL began, Chelsea not much better. Arsenal have only picked up last couple of seasons, but have been lightweight for years. Spurs are Spurs.

City have been miles better than everyone else, but not like the other teams are quality.

You did day squad/team mind. Given the size of the City squad, they are strong. That would be interesting how a team of old would compete over a season, as Utd squad players used to be the likes of Brown, O'Shea, P Neville, May, Butt, etc. (Still could be relied on)

But, best team against best team, I would fancy Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney, Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Neville and Van der Sar to give City a good game.

An Arsenal team with Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira, etc would fancy their chances. And I'm sure Chelsea with Drogba, Lampard, Terry, etc would be pretty tough to break down.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
But, best team against best team, I would fancy Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney, Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Neville and Van der Sar to give City a good game.

An Arsenal team with Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira, etc would fancy their chances. And I'm sure Chelsea with Drogba, Lampard, Terry, etc would be pretty tough to break down.

Interesting fact I heard the other day.
Rooney, Drogba and Schevchenko each scored fewer goals in the whole careers than Ronaldo has scored since turning 30yrs old!
Unbelievable.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
How’s Maddison got away with a punch in the stomach ?
VAR shocking.
It’s a push handbags at tea time, this is why football is a mess, everything is a foul everyone is corrupt everyone cheats but it only matters if it’s detrimental to your team, if it’s positive to you it’s fine.

Just get on and play the game, stop cheating diving and rolling round like you have been shot. It should be an competitive hard fought game but the players act like babies and this is then reflected in the attitude of their fans.

I mean I have mentioned it before but fans need to take a good hard look at themselves and think is this really what I want or act like these players on the pitch and in a similar manner from the stands.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s a push handbags at tea time, this is why football is a mess, everything is a foul everyone is corrupt everyone cheats but it only matters if it’s detrimental to your team, if it’s positive to you it’s fine.

Just get on and play the game, stop cheating diving and rolling round like you have been shot. It should be an competitive hard fought game but the players act like babies and this is then reflected in the attitude of their fans.

I mean I have mentioned it before but fans need to take a good hard look at themselves and think is this really what I want or act like these players on the pitch and in a similar manner from the stands.

Not gonna happen. I used to agree with you about this sort of play acting. Hated it. But I've been told by many others on many occasions that this is all part of the game now, so I embrace it. It is not going to change.

So, with that in mind, Ryan Yates was clever to go down like he did. It is violent conduct by Maddison and therefore a stonewall red card. He was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Swango1980

Visit site
How’s Maddison got away with a punch in the stomach ?
VAR shocking.
I don't think it is a red card at all, or shouldn't be. It wasn't exactly going to cause significant life injuries. To be honest, from the replay I couldn't even if it was a little dig to the stomach, or trying to push the defender off him. Football is a competitive game, and I don't mind it when a couple of opponents have a little niggle at each other. Maybe the odd yellow card if the ref thinks players are being pathetic, but a red card for such incidents is just silly, and just seems they are given as another way to steralise the game and remove any passion that remains.

That said, given what officials do send players off for these days then yes, I can see why some think it should be a red card. Watched them analyse it on MOTD2 last night, and they said had it been Troy Deeney (who was one of the pundits), VAR probably would have asked the ref to review the incident as a potential red card. But, as it is nice guy James Maddison, VAR probably were more inclined to do nothing. I sort of get that. Had Troy Deeney, Diego Costa, Casemiro or Joey Barton done something like that, I'm convinced they'd have got sent off.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think it is a red card at all, or shouldn't be. It wasn't exactly going to cause significant life injuries.

Causing significant life injuries isn't the bar they set for violent conduct though is it? So while I get the point you're making and where you're coming from, that view is sort of irrelevant.

It doesn't matter whether someone does a flying karate kick to the face, or a wimpy punch to the stomach - both are classed as violent conduct under the rules of the game. Most would probably agree that a flying karate kick to the face is the worse of the two offences but both carry the same on-field punishment of a red card. Maddison got away with it. Same as Yates got away with no yellow card for asking the ref to look at it on VAR.

And the fact is that for these "lesser" contacts such as the wimpy punch to the stomach, referees will not give them unless the player falls to the floor. We can argue about whether that's a refereeing problem, a player problem or a rules problem - but it's a fact. Virtually every player play-acts. It is part of the game. It will not change.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think it is a red card at all, or shouldn't be. It wasn't exactly going to cause significant life injuries. To be honest, from the replay I couldn't even if it was a little dig to the stomach, or trying to push the defender off him. Football is a competitive game, and I don't mind it when a couple of opponents have a little niggle at each other. Maybe the odd yellow card if the ref thinks players are being pathetic, but a red card for such incidents is just silly, and just seems they are given as another way to steralise the game and remove any passion that remains.

That said, given what officials do send players off for these days then yes, I can see why some think it should be a red card. Watched them analyse it on MOTD2 last night, and they said had it been Troy Deeney (who was one of the pundits), VAR probably would have asked the ref to review the incident as a potential red card. But, as it is nice guy James Maddison, VAR probably were more inclined to do nothing. I sort of get that. Had Troy Deeney, Diego Costa, Casemiro or Joey Barton done something like that, I'm convinced they'd have got sent off.
So double standards ?
No consistency that’s why the games a mess.