The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Foden is just one example Tash, we all agree none, bar a fleeting glance, seem to be playing to what they are capable off.

It seems they are not given any freedom to express themselves and are sticking to Southgate’s tactics!!

Yes, his tactics have been relatively succesful, but miss the next step or plan B, so the question is, Why aren’t these World Class Players (of which Foden is one) seeing when the tactics are rubbish and changing it on the pitch.

Many of them seem to play without fear for their Clubs, but lacking confidence for England.
When I was having a bath last night, I was trying to think how to put it into words how I mean about Englands style of play which I don’t see. When I see City play, they knock the ball from left to right, right to left. They look to overload one side and then look for an opening. It is patient. If they lose the ball players are in a position for a five second press.Thats there style. Look at Liverpool. High energy, press. World class players who have individual skills to kill a game.
I looked at Chillwell the other day. He was a shadow of the player we know he is. Knocking in balls from positions he never would do for his club. The starting eleven that England could have now should be managers dream to coach. But they look so disjointed.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I was having a bath last night, I was trying to think how to put it into words how I mean about Englands style of play which I don’t see. When I see City play, they knock the ball from left to right, right to left. They look to overload one side and then look for an opening. It is patient. If they lose the ball players are in a position for a five second press.Thats there style. Look at Liverpool. High energy, press. World class players who have individual skills to kill a game.
I looked at Chillwell the other day. He was a shadow of the player we know he is. Knocking in balls from positions he never would do for his club. The starting eleven that England could have now should be managers dream to coach. But they look so disjointed.
I mean, yes but no.
The modern game, honed as it is by Pep anc Klopp, is incredibly complicated and requires detailed choreographing for all 11 players. Times have changed since Woy was tieing his back 4 together with lengths of rope on the training field.
It's just not practical to get 11 relative strangers together at short notice and getting them playing in the style of top level club football.
Having said that, it can't be beyond the wit of man to put a template in place which works better than what we currently serve up. But it doesn't seem like the current backroom staff can work one out.

4LEX

Visit site
I've said it many times before that Southgate is a nice guy and a great man manager but clueless as a coach and a total bottle job. His in game management is essentially do nothing, watch the game slide away and hope for the best.

The quality of players in the squad has outgrown him and he's the one holding it back. His win rate against Top 10 sides is woeful because these are the sides that have the players and a top coach. He gets outcoached in these games and has done from the start, he's shown no improvement at all in that side of his management.

The arrival of Bellingham has bailed him out over the last year or so. I still think we've got a great chance to win the Euro's but it depends on the individual performances of a handful of players more than anything.

Tonight is must win for me as we need to build momemtum. I've heard he'll be starting Mainoo alongside Rice, so excited to see how that goes plus Toney getting a start.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Strong rumours that City are looking to float on the stock market. Should that be the case, there accounts have to be made public. A few of the City pages I visit are asking if the club is planning on making its accounts public. How comes they have allegedly not been assisting with the premier league enquiry re finances. Like I say the 115 charges have a long way to go.

Plus I have read that City are guaranteed a minimum of £55 million for playing in next years Champions league before a ball is kicked
it's Etihad that are possibly floating not City although i am not sure how they will be able to fiddle the books on the sponsorship this time

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hate to admit it, but Wales v Poland looks a better game tonight, must win for both sides.

Not sure I could take another home bore!
One game has something at stake, the other clearly doesn't. Players only need to be 5% off and the game becomes a stroll. You have to love the tension of an all or nothing game
😬

Swango1980

Visit site
I can see why England fans are quite excited about the England side these days, with the players they have available to them.

I just had a reminder that only 10 years ago, in the 2014 World Cup, they finished bottom of their group, losing to Italy, Uruguay and drawing against Costa Rica. The England side that faced Italy in that opening game was:

Hart

Glen Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard
Henderson
Sterling

Welbeck
Rooney
Sturridge

Now, that really is a team that deserves to be managed by Southgate

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've said it many times before that Southgate is a nice guy and a great man manager but clueless as a coach and a total bottle job. His in game management is essentially do nothing, watch the game slide away and hope for the best.

The quality of players in the squad has outgrown him and he's the one holding it back. His win rate against Top 10 sides is woeful because these are the sides that have the players and a top coach. He gets outcoached in these games and has done from the start, he's shown no improvement at all in that side of his management.

The arrival of Bellingham has bailed him out over the last year or so. I still think we've got a great chance to win the Euro's but it depends on the individual performances of a handful of players more than anything.

Tonight is must win for me as we need to build momemtum. I've heard he'll be starting Mainoo alongside Rice, so excited to see how that goes plus Toney getting a start.
100% agreed. We have as good attacking talent as any other nation in the world now, and Southgate nullifies it with stagnant tactics and inability to use subs properly or change a game in any way. It cost us the Euro 2020(21) final and it's been the same ever since.

Agree again, we can win the Euros but only if we build momentum and individual players take the knock-out games by the scruff of the neck.

4LEX

Visit site
Hope for you and all the fans that this goes through and you are finally rid of Yongge and can move forward as a club! Fingers crossed no spanners are thrown into the works

Thanks fundy!

I'm not getting carried away as he's shown in the past he's incapable of making rational decisions but at least this is a step in the right direction! I'm not expecting too much of the new owners and it'll most likely be someone who will turn it around, get promotion back to the Championship and then look to sell for a quick profit. I'd take that all day long after 6 years of relegation battles, points deductions, selling players on the cheap, letting top class players go for free etc.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can see why England fans are quite excited about the England side these days, with the players they have available to them.

I just had a reminder that only 10 years ago, in the 2014 World Cup, they finished bottom of their group, losing to Italy, Uruguay and drawing against Costa Rica. The England side that faced Italy in that opening game was:

Hart

Glen Johnson
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard
Henderson
Sterling

Welbeck
Rooney
Sturridge

Now, that really is a team that deserves to be managed by Southgate

To be fair... Baines is a good left back well was

The CBS are better than maigure

Gerrard was world class as was Rooney and Sturridge pre injury was a cracking player

Not forgetting sterling who used to do fantastic for England

4LEX

Visit site
To be fair... Baines is a good left back well was

The CBS are better than maigure

Gerrard was world class as was Rooney and Sturridge pre injury was a cracking player

Not forgetting sterling who used to do fantastic for England

Baines was slow and OK for a mid table PL team, not international class
Sterling was rubbish for England back then. He went something like 17 games without a goal at one point
Cahill and Jagielka were worse than Maguire by a long way
Gerrard was washed up by then and so was Rooney

That side is seriously depressing on paper and was even worse on the pitch o_O