The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
They really want to be buying Calvert-Lewin for a bargain £45m. You heard it here first ;)

(rumours all have to start somewhere)
I stuck him in my Draft fantasy football time. Only because it was between him, Jackson, Wood, Maupay, Antonio, McBurnie or any other striker I've never really heard of. I had my hopes on the fact that he would be fit, a guaranteed starter for Everton, and would start scoring goals if Everton got on a run. Since selecting him, his points return has been

2,2,2,1,1 (8 points total).

In same time, Jackson has had 21, Wood 11 (all in last 2 games), Maupay 10 (as he had 6pts in 1 game) and Antonio 12 (9 in 1 game). Only McBurnie has done worse in that list, with 3 points.

This is how things work out when I do fantasy football. I should really get rid of DCL and just stick in Jackson, but I know when I do, DCL will score a hat trick and Jackson will miss 3 penalties and then get sent off.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh, come on. You’ve added names to that list just to pad it out and try and prove a point. Ward-Prowse, Barkley, Jones, Elliott, Gibbs-White and Henderson? Really?

Sorry to say it, but I’m afraid I’m going to have to largely dismiss the negativity towards Mainoo here on the basis that it either comes from those who either cannot abide the club he plays for, or who have never actually watched him play. Or possibly both.

There are very good reasons why the coaching staff at United have been raving about this lad. Take the blinkers off, watch him play and you might just see what I mean.

He won’t start at the Euros. Probably won’t make a 23 man squad under the management of Mr Ultra Conservative. But he more than deserves his place in a squad for these two friendlies, and is a far, far more exciting prospect than some of the names on your list.
I agree why play Henderson we know what he can do. But he’s the past now.

Mainoo or Palmer should play to see if they can step up !

We need these lads in the future World Cup .

The Euros might be to soon but they should be there imo of course.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the big point. No one at all will dispute these 2 players being starters.

Mainoo is also in a position that England lack depth so his pathway in is clearer, you'd think post September that Hendo will retire from international and then Mainoo is the only real clear backup to Rice to hold.

But - I don't hear or see anyone who isn't a United fan calling for Mainoo now - but we do all agree on Rice and Bellingham.

It would be nice for someone to be playing so well that its just obvious who to pick. :ROFLMAO: Foden could play in the midfield but GS uses him more as a winger.

We could even see TAA in there if the timeline for his injury works out?
I don’t watch UTD enough to say how good or not he is.
But what I have seen he’s been excellent.
To many England managers have gone for the old guard and that’s won us nothing since 66.

I don’t expect GS to change from this norm.

But of the list you posted a few don’t get in GS squads any way so he dosnt fancy them now never mind in the future.

We have a wealth of talent but we need someone to utilise it it’s not GS imo.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Paul Merson talking about the gambling bans handed to Toney and Tonali...

"People have no respect for the gambling addiction," said Merson.
"We've seen that with the bans of Sandro Tonali at Newcastle and Ivan Toney at Brentford.
"To give people 10-month bans for an addiction that is ravaging football, with sponsorships all over the shirts... They needed help and I don't think 'help' is giving them 10-month bans.
"We underestimate this addiction. We need to show it some respect and not, 'oh, show a bit of willpower'. I would say to the people who make these rules up and ban people, 'next time you get diarrhoea, try and stop that with willpower'."

:D :D :D

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Paul Merson talking about the gambling bans handed to Toney and Tonali...

"People have no respect for the gambling addiction," said Merson.
"We've seen that with the bans of Sandro Tonali at Newcastle and Ivan Toney at Brentford.
"To give people 10-month bans for an addiction that is ravaging football, with sponsorships all over the shirts... They needed help and I don't think 'help' is giving them 10-month bans.
"We underestimate this addiction. We need to show it some respect and not, 'oh, show a bit of willpower'. I would say to the people who make these rules up and ban people, 'next time you get diarrhoea, try and stop that with willpower'."

:D :D :D

I don't normally agree with merson but he's spot on here. We have a game that takes the money of betting companies left right and centre. Encouraging us to bet on games

But players do have addictions then ban them for being addicted to gambling

It's just such double standards

4LEX

Visit site
Manchester United co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe has made England manager Gareth Southgate his top choice to replace Erik ten Hag in the summer, and would like a decision from the 53-year-old sooner rather than later. (Star)

And that has just made my day.

Definitely an upgrade but Ole would be an upgrade on ETH :ROFLMAO:

4LEX

Visit site
This is the big point. No one at all will dispute these 2 players being starters.

Mainoo is also in a position that England lack depth so his pathway in is clearer, you'd think post September that Hendo will retire from international and then Mainoo is the only real clear backup to Rice to hold.

But - I don't hear or see anyone who isn't a United fan calling for Mainoo now - but we do all agree on Rice and Bellingham.

It would be nice for someone to be playing so well that its just obvious who to pick. :ROFLMAO: Foden could play in the midfield but GS uses him more as a winger.

We could even see TAA in there if the timeline for his injury works out?

I'm not a Man Utd but I think Mainoo deserves a chance. Why? Because he's been superb this season and been one of the few bright spots for them. He's shown class, maturity and quality. It's not easy for a youngster to come through at a club like Man Utd and shine when it's all doom and gloom.

He's also ideal for the formation Southgate likes to play and we don't have many others like him. It might be too early for him to be starting games in Germany but if he takes his chance with in these games, finishes the season strongly then he'd be a good bet to go.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't normally agree with merson but he's spot on here. We have a game that takes the money of betting companies left right and centre. Encouraging us to bet on games

But players do have addictions then ban them for being addicted to gambling

It's just such double standards
I agree it’s appalling the way betting advertising is forced on the public and football should be looking at it’s role.

I think banning players from being at the club as Toni was is hugely counterproductive when they would need all the support mental and physical that the club can provide whilst serving a playing ban.

But, nobody was banned for having a gambling addiction. They were banned for gambling offences which are at best inside trading and worst match fixing, to argue there should not be hefty sentences for these offences is something I can’t understand.

Swango1980

Visit site
I agree it’s appalling the way betting advertising is forced on the public and football should be looking at it’s role.

I think banning players from being at the club as Toni was is hugely counterproductive when they would need all the support mental and physical that the club can provide whilst serving a playing ban.

But, nobody was banned for having a gambling addiction. They were banned for gambling offences which are at best inside trading and worst match fixing, to argue there should not be hefty sentences for these offences is something I can’t understand.
Very much agree. And I usually laugh when Merson tries to make a point anyway.

It seems quite easy these days to try and excuse behaviour or actions with things like mental health or addiction. I'm not saying either is irrelevant, but people still need to take responsibility. An alcoholic may find it impossible to avoid alcohol, but not much mitigation if they decide to drive a car while drunk. Hopefully they get punished AND get some help if possible.

No idea what bans for betting on football are acceptable. But, players surely cannot avoid any punishment, and get an arm around the shoulder so they can get help for a gambling addiction? All sounds lovely, until a case comes forward where a player is genuinely suspected of fixing a match in any way, but no absolute proof that is the case.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Who? Mainoo?

Have you watched him, Tash? One of the cleanest tacklers I have seen in years. I’m not a big fan of stats, but take a look at his for the Liverpool game on Sunday. For an 18 year old playing at that level they are eye wateringly good.
It was a joke aimed at Southgate 👍😁

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The Reds were docked four points on Monday for breaking profit and sustainability rules by £34.5m.
Clubs can lose £105m over three years, but Forest's maximum loss was set at £61m as they spent two years of the assessment period in the Championship.

And that is why FFP Is rammel. Forest were £95 million over 3 years not £105 million but FFP says it should be £61 million. Do these people pull a number out of a hat.😳

PaulMdj

Visit site
The Reds were docked four points on Monday for breaking profit and sustainability rules by £34.5m.
Clubs can lose £105m over three years, but Forest's maximum loss was set at £61m as they spent two years of the assessment period in the Championship.

And that is why FFP Is rammel. Forest were £95 million over 3 years not £105 million but FFP says it should be £61 million. Do these people pull a number out of a hat.😳
PL FFP rules do not apply to the Championship, the EFL have their own spending rules.

Forest, like Everton new the rules and spending levels from the outset.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So yernited have a penchant for Southgate as the next victim of sir Alex .so if he does end up at utd who do you want as the national boss in his place.

Heard this on the radio this morning and laughed out loud. Why? What has Southgate proven to be wanted by their owners? I've been a big Southgate fan but what the actual?