The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gareth Southgate on the chelsea v spurs game and VAR

Well, I was bored watching the game. I was at the game and it just kept stopping," said Southgate.

"So never mind the players. What about the fans?"

He added: "Now the flip side of that is I think all the decisions were right in the end.

A couple of things.

He was bored, sweet mother. How does he think fans feel watching his England teams play
” I think all the decisions were right in the end”. What is that tit drinking. A two footed challenge and a kick out at another player and the decisions are right in the end.

He is a clown
He was bored, watching that game ? It was bonkers, will be one of the most exciting games of the season.

Swango1980

Visit site
He was bored, watching that game ? It was bonkers, will be one of the most exciting games of the season.
It is all about opinions. Roy Keane also said he was bored watching it. Sure, it is good to have a few talking points, but he felt the quality was just poor.

I can see people having that view. When the ball is only in play for 23 minutes out of 57 in 1st half, then I can imagine fans who just want to watch football get a bit frustrated

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Another good win in Europe last night for the boys and now a point away from qualification into the next round!

Would like to top the group though! Avoid a Europa League drop down for an additional game if we do!

UTV

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is all about opinions. Roy Keane also said he was bored watching it. Sure, it is good to have a few talking points, but he felt the quality was just poor.

I can see people having that view. When the ball is only in play for 23 minutes out of 57 in 1st half, then I can imagine fans who just want to watch football get a bit frustrated
When the ball was in play, it was all action. It doesn't need to be world class to be exciting and action packed. Add in the crowd, the pace of play, tension, backs against the wall, 5 goals, 5 disallowed goals, 2 sendings off, it was a great watch. It would be a boring world if we all thought the same but that was quite a spectacle. As for Roy, what does excite Roy? Grumpy beggar :LOL:

In terms of how many minutes the ball is in play, in a 'normal' game the ball is in play far less than we would expect, hence the amount of extra time being played. It is not only this game where the figures look wonky.

Swango1980

Visit site
When the ball was in play, it was all action. It doesn't need to be world class to be exciting and action packed. Add in the crowd, the pace of play, tension, backs against the wall, 5 goals, 5 disallowed goals, 2 sendings off, it was a great watch. It would be a boring world if we all thought the same but that was quite a spectacle. As for Roy, what does excite Roy? Grumpy beggar :LOL:

In terms of how many minutes the ball is in play, in a 'normal' game the ball is in play far less than we would expect, hence the amount of extra time being played. It is not only this game where the figures look wonky.
Yes, the ball is in play a lot less than we expect. However, this still seemed to be overly excessive in the specific game we are talking about.

I could go and watch Sunday league football, see a team win 9-8, and still be bored. There could be 2 or 3 sendings off, goals galore, and still a pretty rubbish game to watch.

Keane also acknowledges the first part of the game, where Spurs played well, was actually good. However, it simply turned into a bit of a farce. The entertainment came from major incidents, sendings off, VAR drama, etc rather than the football. The VAR drama is probably a negative for most to be honest, as it adds to the waiting around to see what decision may or may not be made. By the time the decision has come, it has almost dampened your spirits to either outcome

But, as I said, it is about opinions. Even if someone thinks it is the most amazing game they have ever seen in their life time (and I felt it was more entertaining than most), I can empathize with others that thought it was a fairly poor game to watch. Most games are when a team goes down to 10 men, and certainly 9 men. Just because Spurs continued to attack, they only got praise because Chelsea were so poor at attacking until very late on. Had Chelsea punished them earlier and got a bit of daylight between them in the score, Spurs would have simply looked rubbish and their tactics would have been torn to shreds in the media.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another good win in Europe last night for the boys and now a point away from qualification into the next round!

Would like to top the group though! Avoid a Europa League drop down for an additional game if we do!

UTV

Winning the group is the best way, like you say you miss the drop downs, and you get an extended rest for the players

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I only saw this on the breakfast news today. Thank goodness for Sky, as I had to rewind it for another laugh.
Klopps reaction is class particularly when he asks the question “of whose idea it was to have the post match there” followed by “wow”
Absolute class I was crying with laughter. Made even better by his accent