The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
If the players are not having an off season then that is down to the ridiculous Nations League and around the world for money pre season tours. I agree, they will be goosed by next May but mid November they should be flying.
I have my doubts the England players will be flying. Southgate is their manager. They'll meet up for the World Cup and he'll feed them with another large dose of negativity. His game plan will be to try and win the world cup by getting a draw and a couple of narrow wins in the group stages, and then winning all the knockout games 1-0. Of course, England may well score an early goal, and for the next 80 or so minutes they'll sit back and play ultra defensive. Invite the opposition on, and England end up losing 2-1 or 3-1. When the opposition score, England will struggle to get back any attacking momentum.

I could be wrong, but it is my best guess at this stage.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the players are not having an off season then that is down to the ridiculous Nations League and around the world for money pre season tours. I agree, they will be goosed by next May but mid November they should be flying.

Arsenals pre season is due to start next week, think theres about 4 players reporting at the start! Vast majority of players going to have had far too little recovery time this summer, be plenty miss out on November injured no doubt.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I have my doubts the England players will be flying. Southgate is their manager. They'll meet up for the World Cup and he'll feed them with another large dose of negativity. His game plan will be to try and win the world cup by getting a draw and a couple of narrow wins in the group stages, and then winning all the knockout games 1-0. Of course, England may well score an early goal, and for the next 80 or so minutes they'll sit back and play ultra defensive. Invite the opposition on, and England end up losing 2-1 or 3-1. When the opposition score, England will struggle to get back any attacking momentum.

I could be wrong, but it is my best guess at this stage.

Im fully prepared for this... Well summed up

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't they reckon temps in Nov / Dec will be around 25°C? Nothing compared to World Cups played in June / July in Mexico, Spain, Italy, US etc. I'm not defending giving it to Qatar but moving the date to November / December does sort out the heat issues.
That’s heatwave temps to us though.
We might have one or two days and we’re knackered.
But over there that’s everyday for weeks and been underestimated imo.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s heatwave temps to us though.
We might have one or two days and we’re knackered.
But over there that’s everyday for weeks and been underestimated imo.
Cooler, much cooler than temperatures in the countries I mentioned though. I remember the 94 world cup in the US being pretty brutal at times and clearly Mexico in June / July is not for the faint hearted. We're talking mid to late 30's against mid 20's.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cooler, much cooler than temperatures in the countries I mentioned though. I remember the 94 world cup in the US being pretty brutal at times and clearly Mexico in June / July is not for the faint hearted. We're talking mid to late 30's against mid 20's.
I would not fancy footy anywhere in the mid 20s.
It’s just unnecessary imo .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Arsenals pre season is due to start next week, think theres about 4 players reporting at the start! Vast majority of players going to have had far too little recovery time this summer, be plenty miss out on November injured no doubt.
A lack of genuine, end of season, rest has been a growing issue for a number of years now.

Here's a question then, if you could drop a tournament into any time of the year to find the prime spot for the players, when would it be? Forget disruption to leagues etc.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lack of genuine, end of season, rest has been a growing issue for a number of years now.

Here's a question then, if you could drop a tournament into any time of the year to find the prime spot for the players, when would it be? Forget disruption to leagues etc.
During summer school holidays. In UK.
With Parent and child tickets a priority.
To “ grow the game “ as they tell us.
Season only just started so players should be up for the top comp in the world.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

After a nice long summer break and before the season starts, so say September :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not match fit then though. Anyway, the season starts in early August now. How about early October?

Not ideal no because most players have been flogging it for their clubs for 2 months before the tournament starts, reason I said September and no domestic stuff before was to ensure proper rest period. Lets be honest, in world cup years players arent going to get that rest without some creative scheduling (less cup games and/or a shortened league season) but the money men arent letting that happen

At some point club managers have got to take some of the responsibility and cap how many games each player plays in a season and stick to it, instead they moan about the fixture lists but then flog their stars into the ground (how many games rest did Salah or Saka for eg get at club level this year?)

D

Deleted member 15344

Inter the same with Lukaku back on loan having sold him for 100m last year

It’s just madness the sort of money spent on some players to then be given away

Criminal waste of money - in some ways I’m glad we have to be a bit smarter