The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

He is one dimensional and if you set up your team accordingly, as West Brom and Everton did, then he will be great for you. If you expect him to slot into a different style then he does not seem capable of dealing with that. Man Utd and Chelsea should have done their homework on him better than they did.

Is that another word for a flat track bully???

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He is one dimensional and if you set up your team accordingly, as West Brom and Everton did, then he will be great for you. If you expect him to slot into a different style then he does not seem capable of dealing with that. Man Utd and Chelsea should have done their homework on him better than they did.
Yeah, I don't think he has a good enough all round game for the top clubs, who mostly like to play one central striker as a kind of 'complete forward'. The two best clubs hardly even play a striker, emphasising that the total football ability is obviously more important nowadays than just tucking the ball in the net. As you say, he's done well when the requirements of him were simpler, basically. Just play off the last defender and stick the ball in the net, he can't really get involved in build-up play much.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think he has a good enough all round game for the top clubs, who mostly like to play one central striker as a kind of 'complete forward'. The two best clubs hardly even play a striker, emphasising that the total football ability is obviously more important nowadays than just tucking the ball in the net. As you say, he's done well when the requirements of him were simpler, basically. Just play off the last defender and stick the ball in the net, he can't really get involved in build-up play much.
When you consider scoring is the hardest thing then it makes sense for lower level teams to base their play around a key striker. That is the difference between staying up and going down, 7th place and 12th etc. It is naive to expect the very top teams to build everything around one player, Messi and Barcelona being a partial exception. If you do that, what happens when they have an off day, get injured etc?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I really hate the football off season....

Mane moving to Bayern has been reported for weeks, no one cares anymore - but theres no other stories going on other than Grealish on the lash in Vegas.....

Boring!

Can we get some big money signings out of the blue please?

Swango1980

Visit site

Mane moving to Bayern has been reported for weeks, no one cares anymore - but theres no other stories going on other than Grealish on the lash in Vegas.....

Boring!

We would have been going through World Cup Fever. Watch the footy, sunny beer gardens, etc. Sadly, money robbed us of that. Sure, we'll get a dose of World Cup footy at the end of the year, although who cares? We'd have had plenty of football to watch then anyway in a regular season.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Boring!

Arsenal have put in a bid for Raphina from Leeds. Surely he wont go there? Apologies Arsenal fans but he can do better can't he?

A quiet one. It looks like Nick Pope is going to Newcastle, estimated £10m. Cracking signing for them and leaves plenty of money in the kitty, FFP ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
Just read on BBC that Cardiff City are in talks with Gareth Bale's representatives. If Bale goes to Cardiff, it would be great for them. But certainly evidence, if it was ever required, that Bale is pretty much done with football for good once the World Cup is over. Just using Cardiff as a way to keep match fit.

That being said, I wonder how often Bale will play for any club he joins. I can imagine he will be desperate to avoid any injuries before the World Cup.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Arsenal have put in a bid for Raphina from Leeds. Surely he wont go there? Apologies Arsenal fans but he can do better can't he?

A quiet one. It looks like Nick Pope is going to Newcastle, estimated £10m. Cracking signing for them and leaves plenty of money in the kitty, FFP ;)
Great signing. Pope would be England number 1 for me. Sadly Gareth won't pick him because he can't pass the ball around. Nobody cares if you can keep the ball out of the net or stick a tackle in in modern football.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

No need to apologise :) I hope so, because he doesnt appear to want to join us (wants to go to Barca who cant afford him) and doesnt appear to be the sort who stays around when he doesnt want to,so wouldnt expect he stays long if he does join. Theres also a chain of thought that signing Raphinia means Saka may be on the way up north

Unless were buying 7 or 8 players a left footed wide right player for 50m+ shouldnt be high up the priorities at all (unless Saka is leaving)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No need to apologise :) I hope so, because he doesnt appear to want to join us (wants to go to Barca who cant afford him) and doesnt appear to be the sort who stays around when he doesnt want to,so wouldnt expect he stays long if he does join. Theres also a chain of thought that signing Raphinia means Saka may be on the way up north

Unless were buying 7 or 8 players a left footed wide right player for 50m+ shouldnt be high up the priorities at all (unless Saka is leaving)
We've been linked as well, and I think he's a very good player, but I can't really see the point of having him when we already have Kulusevski. :unsure:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When you consider scoring is the hardest thing then it makes sense for lower level teams to base their play around a key striker. That is the difference between staying up and going down, 7th place and 12th etc. It is naive to expect the very top teams to build everything around one player, Messi and Barcelona being a partial exception. If you do that, what happens when they have an off day, get injured etc?
Isn't that what Totingham has been doing for a while though? Admittedly 1 target man and a link man/scoring machine combo.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Boring!

You hate it?
Try being a United supporter!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think having Son means Spurs are not as dependent on Kane as they otherwise might be. I think they have more to them, but don't see them enough to really push the point ?
The few times I've seen/watched them, it's been pretty simple/dull/'single dimension' stuff, that obviously worked - for the most part. Not sure whether I'd want to watch that style every week, but the few times I've watched Hammers I've been very nervous about the lack of overall quality. Maybe too much time spent watching City/L'pool where every player is world class.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The few times I've seen/watched them, it's been pretty simple/dull/'single dimension' stuff, that obviously worked - for the most part. Not sure whether I'd want to watch that style every week, but the few times I've watched Hammers I've been very nervous about the lack of overall quality. Maybe too much time spent watching City/L'pool where every player is world class.
They seem to be a very Jekyll and hyde team. Look great one match, awful the next. Certainly excellent on the break, not sure when a team sits deeper.