The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

If they just stopped showing matches on Sky, would the club get less revenue from Sky than they do already? What about all the fans of that club that cannot make the game. Do you rob them of watching the match just so the travelling fans can have a lie in?
You are just being awkward and taking it to ridiculous extremes, no more replies to you from me.

Swango1980

Visit site
Ive had one game thats moved this season AFTER me buying a ticket - moved to midweek. We do usually get good notice.

Was a ball ache but I made KO :ROFLMAO: JUST!
That sounds like a nightmare, not sure if that is just a one off balls up on an administrative point? I'd certainly want to know at what point before a match in which the date and time are confirmed.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What is wrong with leaving at 4am anyway. These "die hard" fans are prepared to travel many miles to see their team, so how come they have no issue with distance, but do with the time of day? Does it not mean they get home earlier at least? Also, the traffic may be a bit better at 4am in the morning.

At the end of the day, if you are the type of person who is willing to travel nearly 300 miles to a game of football, don't be moaning that you might have to get up a bit early.
Cannot recall anybody saying there was anything wrong with leaving @4a.m.

Swango1980

Visit site
You are just being awkward and taking it to ridiculous extremes, no more replies to you from me.
You are the one that suggested not showing the match on Sky, not me. Mine was a perfectly normal response to such a brainstorming suggestion. If Man Utd were going to be shown on Sky at 12:30pm, but then then it was decided not to show them so the game could be played at 3pm, I'd personally be annoyed. I know I wouldn't be the only one. And, if Man Utd were told that they'd receive less revenue from Sky because they wanted to play more games at 3pm for travelling fans, I'm pretty sure both the club AND fans would give it second thoughts.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That sounds like a nightmare, not sure if that is just a one off balls up on an administrative point? I'd certainly want to know at what point before a match in which the date and time are confirmed.

I think it was due to them progressing in other competitions etc - things happen!

Usually well in advance (month or two) - when the TV channels choose which games are going to live on TV. Some clubs must get used to it - Liverpool v United will always be moved for TV. As a Villain, id say only 20/30% of games are played outside of the weekend.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Exactly, maybe someone can tell us were the line/difference is between Telly Clapper, Armchair Supporter and Proper Fan.

There isn't really. I've met many match going fans who don't fully understand what they are watching and/or the laws of football. Conversely, I've met "armchair fans" who know the game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
With most things, I agree. Especially under lights if most are seeing double.

But in this specific instance it was related to VAR and It's effect on the atmosphere. Mine and Bills original point was that in the ground it's pretty emotional, and increases the atmosphere. If VAR makes the atmosphere "sterile" in someone's front room and makes them cancel their sky subscription. Fair enough. It'll take that trade for no absolute howler of decisions. That's the main discussion here.
Fair enough. Apologies for diving into the middle then. :LOL:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t think it’s embarrassing as such, more human nature, think about all the great games you’ve watched in person, on TV etc and I’d reckon 99% of memories will be great goals or games your team has won.

Give it a bit more thought and you can remember a great tackle or block, but that maybe behind a great save.

Great moments tend to be goals.

It doesn’t stop us mentioning world class defenders or goalkeepers and it doesn’t take anything away from their ability.

Think about how we grew up watching football, the majority will of dreamed about scoring a worldie or pulling off a miraculous save, it only be the ginger kids who dream about blocking a cross or winning a header from a corner.;)
Pele and Banks would deffo get a mention

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure I agree. I think the simple fact is, in the UK, he played for Manchester United. He was absolutely huge for Manchester United, and a key part of their success. So, many people who do not support Manchester United enjoy to see them fail, especially if they are fans of highly supported clubs like Liverpool. That, for me, is why many fans take an extra dislike to him in the UK. Probably a big part as to why a lot of fans dislike Sterling. I know race is often mentioned, and potentially part of it, but he effectively abandoned Liverpool, and so that is a huge number of fans that dislike him. On top of that, another huge number of fans, from Man Utd, also will tend to dislike him because he played for Liverpool and is now at City.

Football is tribal. If Messi had played for Man Utd, there is no doubt a lot of UK fans would have a big dislike towards him as well.

If you take tribalism away, what is there to dislike about Ronaldo? Does he bite people? Does he spit at people? Does he get sent off frequently? Does he get into trouble outside football? No, he has just scored an insane number of goals throughout his career, and potentially worked harder than any other footballer in the history of the game to achieve what he has done. He is also, in my opinion, more of a leader than Messi, as he is not afraid to communicate with his team.

Messi has always had the team advantage in that he grew up at Barcelona, and they trained all the young guys in a very specific way. By the time he got into the first team, the team performances from everyone were simply second nature. I think what Barcelona built when Messi was breaking through was unbelievable, and it made all their players shine.
That’s a very good post and so true.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not sure I agree. I think the simple fact is, in the UK, he played for Manchester United. He was absolutely huge for Manchester United, and a key part of their success. So, many people who do not support Manchester United enjoy to see them fail, especially if they are fans of highly supported clubs like Liverpool. That, for me, is why many fans take an extra dislike to him in the UK. Probably a big part as to why a lot of fans dislike Sterling. I know race is often mentioned, and potentially part of it, but he effectively abandoned Liverpool, and so that is a huge number of fans that dislike him. On top of that, another huge number of fans, from Man Utd, also will tend to dislike him because he played for Liverpool and is now at City.

Football is tribal. If Messi had played for Man Utd, there is no doubt a lot of UK fans would have a big dislike towards him as well.

If you take tribalism away, what is there to dislike about Ronaldo? Does he bite people? Does he spit at people? Does he get sent off frequently? Does he get into trouble outside football? No, he has just scored an insane number of goals throughout his career, and potentially worked harder than any other footballer in the history of the game to achieve what he has done. He is also, in my opinion, more of a leader than Messi, as he is not afraid to communicate with his team.

Messi has always had the team advantage in that he grew up at Barcelona, and they trained all the young guys in a very specific way. By the time he got into the first team, the team performances from everyone were simply second nature. I think what Barcelona built when Messi was breaking through was unbelievable, and it made all their players shine.

Re Messi or Ronaldo who is best, put me in the Messi camp. But only just. Totally agree about tribal. But the thing that edges it for me is Ronaldo diving. I have seen him go down under “ challenges “ when defenders are not even in the same half of the ground. We could have had 10 pages on this site about his diving
Re the Sterling scenario of him leaving Liverpool. I just don’t get it. At the same time, more or less. Milner went to Liverpool on a free. It totally endorses the tribal aspect. Stirling shouldn’t of left but shove it up your jacksy we have got Milner. My thought is, if a player don’t want to wear your badge anymore, for whatever reason. And it’s usually money. Then go.
All that said. Messi, best player of the last year. Guffaw.

D

Deleted member 16999

Tomorrow, I'm going to be an armchair fan, rather that be the usual ST fan. It's because I can't be bothered to sit on the M25 for several hours in the dark to watch us get spanked by Tuchel's tasty team, when the game is on Amazon Prime :D
You can’t be a proper fan then.;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sad to see the passing of Ray Kennedy. I remember I got an Arsenal kit as a four year old so started to follow them as a kid and so was made up when they won the double and Kennedy and Charlie George were my favourite players (until I wanted to be a goalie and then it was Bob Wilson). A career that should have been longer and definitely should have had more caps

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just looked at Premiership odds. Generally City 4/6, Chelsea 3/1 and Liverpool 4/1.

Think Chelsea and Liverpool are generous odds at present and whilst The Bookies are rarely wrong would not fancy City @ 4/6

D

Deleted member 15344

Amazon Prime Video for the football once again is jumpy and keeps buffering

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just looked at Premiership odds. Generally City 4/6, Chelsea 3/1 and Liverpool 4/1.

Think Chelsea and Liverpool are generous odds at present and whilst The Bookies are rarely wrong would not fancy City @ 4/6

City got a very soft run of fixtures coming up after the Villa game (which will get them over their glut of injuries too), Liverpool get weakened in January too, back Liverpool at the start of feb if you fancy them ;)