The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The clubs who complain loudest will be those who have seen their future plans possibly go up in smoke. Another big spender at the top of the league (if they make it that far) means that your clubs like Arsenal and Spurs may well be playing for one Europa League spot with the rest of the team's without bottomless finances and are kissing goodbye to any dreams of getting back in the Champions League

D

Deleted member 15344

Stavely is an interesting character, I watched her talk about Newcastle as if she has supported them all her life.... this from her bio….

Staveley was involved in Sheikh Mansour's £210 million purchase of Manchester City F.C. through the Abu Dhabi United Group, a transaction reportedly worth £10 million in commission to PCP Capital Partners.

At the same time Staveley was involved in extended negotiations by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum's Dubai International Capital to buy a 49 per cent stake in Liverpool Football Club, although the deal, which would have given Staveley a place on the club's board, eventually foundered,

Top Geordie fan !

Yep that’s her - been around for a while trying to get the Middle East consortiums into football clubs and getting a piece of the pie for herself - seems very cold and calculating but clearly works

The clubs who complain loudest will be those who have seen their future plans possibly go up in smoke. Another big spender at the top of the league (if they make it that far) means that your clubs like Arsenal and Spurs may well be playing for one Europa League spot with the rest of the team's without bottomless finances and are kissing goodbye to any dreams of getting back in the Champions League

I believe all 19 clubs have expressed concerns about the takeover

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stavely is an interesting character, I watched her talk about Newcastle as if she has supported them all her life.... this from her bio….

Staveley was involved in Sheikh Mansour's £210 million purchase of Manchester City F.C. through the Abu Dhabi United Group, a transaction reportedly worth £10 million in commission to PCP Capital Partners.

At the same time Staveley was involved in extended negotiations by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum's Dubai International Capital to buy a 49 per cent stake in Liverpool Football Club, although the deal, which would have given Staveley a place on the club's board, eventually foundered,

Top Geordie fan !
For 10% commission on a deal I'd talk whatever cobblers was required as well ??.

Had to laugh on Thursday. R5 a presenter was talking to the host of the next show about the deal.

'You are a Middlesbrough fan, you must be pleased how this will benefit the whole region'
'No, I'm not pleased, how will it benefit anyone in Middlesbrough?'
'Surely it will?'
At this point the co presenter, a football fan pipes up, 'has the wealth of Man City's owners benefited anyone in Liverpool? Are Liverpool fans happy about City doing well?'
Cue silence then 'errrm, no'.

It was both funny and a painful at the same time.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site

Top Geordie fan !
As a Newcastle fan I think she’s always been quite honest with us about the fact she ‘fell in love’ with the club in 2017(?) when invited to a Newcastle Liverpool game by Rafa. I don’t believe she’s ever claimed to be a life long fan, or a geordie at heart or any other nonsense you see being spouted the last few days by the press.

It sounds like all 19 clubs have complained, and I’d expect nothing less, it’ll be interesting to see if they stick to their guns and become the moral guardians of football when they are presented with a sizeable transfer fee for one of there own players. Or will they refuse to do business with us? I think I know what way I’ll bet on that one.

D

Deleted member 16999

Top Geordie fan !
Or, just maybe we could describe her as someone who’s good at her job and makes money for her Company.;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or, just maybe we could describe her as someone who’s good at her job and makes money for her Company.;)
I'd quite like to be £1 behind her ?. She is razor sharp and when you consider she is a female operating in a particularly male centric part of the world it makes her even more impressive (in business terms. The rest is a different debate)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe all 19 clubs have expressed concerns about the takeover

Of course they have. Those at the top will see it as another club that will be in a position to challenge for one of the CL places, and those at the bottom will see it as one less club that could get relegated. It's all about money. The top clubs don't want to lose the CL money by missing the top 4 and the bottom clubs don't want to lose the PL money by getting relegated.

D

Deleted member 15344

Of course they have. Those at the top will see it as another club that will be in a position to challenge for one of the CL places, and those at the bottom will see it as one less club that could get relegated. It's all about money. The top clubs don't want to lose the CL money by missing the top 4 and the bottom clubs don't want to lose the PL money by getting relegated.

Or they have issues with a club being owned by a state ?‍♂️ With the principal owner recently ordering the assassination of journalist

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Top Geordie fan !

i don’t know her but I like her, if she was involved in the purchase of City.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nope, imo it's all about money. The top clubs don't want another challenger. The attempt to form the European Super League with no relegation shows that.
Exactly, other Clubs have large sponsorship deals with nasty State owned Companies, but somehow that level of nasty State investment is OK, just not ownership.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nope, imo it's all about money. The top clubs don't want another challenger. The attempt to form the European Super League with no relegation shows that.

Suspect there will be a good percentage of the thought being about the level of funds but with financial restrictions in place it’s not a huge game changer - the human rights issues and the assassination will be a huge stain at the moment with the Premier League wiping their hands of it with the “he won’t be running the club” statement when we know it’s nonsense. But all 19 clubs getting involved for me says it’s not just the money that’s the issue

D

Deleted member 16999

Good to see Southgate making wholesale changes for tonight, I know it’s only Andorra, but hopefully this lot will take their chance and get a bucketful:

England XI: Johnstone; Trippier (c), Stones, Coady, Chilwell; Ward-Prowse, Saka, Foden; Lingard, Sancho, Abraham

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Suspect there will be a good percentage of the thought being about the level of funds but with financial restrictions in place it’s not a huge game changer - the human rights issues and the assassination will be a huge stain at the moment with the Premier League wiping their hands of it with the “he won’t be running the club” statement when we know it’s nonsense. But all 19 clubs getting involved for me says it’s not just the money that’s the issue
It’s not just the money, I’d agree with that. I think it’s also they were left out of the decision/boys club and that’s put a few noses out of joint. But let’s be honest, the PL had every right after the actions of some earlier this year (and the PL also followed their own policies for a change).
The clubs don’t give a monkeys about human rights, if they did they wouldn’t deal with many of the sponsors they do. They are worried about their respective seat at the table and that’s it.
Let’s not pretend as well that it was all 19 clubs individually complaining, as with everything the PL does it’s a concerted effort and coordinated. BEin rights renewal was the first time 1 club has went against the popular vote, and oh yeh that was Newcastle.

Not sure why you think financial restrictions are relevant, if they choose too they could comfortably spend ~£500m over the next two or three windows and be no where near breaching any regulation. I think the spending will be more considered that that, and likely a lot less, but that isn’t because of FFP. They certainly haven’t bought the club to keep it ‘ticking over’.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s not just the money, I’d agree with that. I think it’s also they were left out of the decision/boys club and that’s put a few noses out of joint. But let’s be honest, the PL had every right after the actions of some earlier this year (and the PL also followed their own policies for a change).
The clubs don’t give a monkeys about human rights, if they did they wouldn’t deal with many of the sponsors they do. They are worried about their respective seat at the table and that’s it.
Let’s not pretend as well that it was all 19 clubs individually complaining, as with everything the PL does it’s a concerted effort and coordinated. BEin rights renewal was the first time 1 club has went against the popular vote, and oh yeh that was Newcastle.

Not sure why you think financial restrictions are relevant, if they choose too they could comfortably spend ~£500m over the next two or three windows and be no where near breaching any regulation. I think the spending will be more considered that that, and likely a lot less, but that isn’t because of FFP. They certainly haven’t bought the club to keep it ‘ticking over’.
It’s not just human rights though - as well as all the other equality issues ,

Have no idea what other sponsership other clubs have but right now the new chairman is the man who authorised the killing of a journalist who was just practicing free speech and who was exposing issues within the country - that just doesn’t sit well at all. They claim he will have no involvement in the club yet it’s his money being used and he is the chairman of the Saudi PIF - for me it’s crossed a line irrelevant of how much money they have - that’s secondary to the actions of the state and under his orders

Also how can they spend £500mil over the next three windows without breaking FFP when they clubs last accounts had them making a loss of £22mil ?

The club will make a loss again for the accounts up to May 2021 as well and pre Covid they were making around £30mil profit

How can they break even over a three year period with a spend of £500mil ? Where does the £500mil come from - or is there an expectation that the club will be sponsered by Aramco to the tune of £500mil

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16999

I guess a good dig around the (real) books and characters at several clubs would turn up some interesting stories. :)
You mean like the Saudi State owned phone Company who have dealings with Utd since 2010 or the MG China contract LPool have that is State owned or the dodgy Russian Billionaires Everton and Chelsea have???

D

Deleted member 15344

I guess a good dig around the (real) books and characters at several clubs would turn up some interesting stories. :)

There are no doubt some sponsership deals with some companies where those companies have had issues - Adidas , Nike etc have all had working issues

But I very much doubt that is anything that comes close to the clubs new “chairman” ordering someone to be killed to stop them exposing issues within the state and the state itself owning the club