The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
If the Saudi’s run your team, it’s time to walk away. It’s like having North Korea or Israel in charge.
we are certainly going to be in for a lot of comments like this, and probably rightly so. Ideally I wouldnt have PIF, Stavely or the Reuben (parasite) brothers involved but unfortunately it seems inevitable they will be. As for walking away, i think you know that for many many fans that just isn’t going to happen.
I can also guarantee our typical response is going to be well what about... golf, boxing, f1 etc. But even more relevant, what about your own club taking money for the last 12 years from the saudis in the form of sponsorship?

D

Deleted member 15344

we are certainly going to be in for a lot of comments like this, and probably rightly so. Ideally I wouldnt have PIF, Stavely or the Reuben (parasite) brothers involved but unfortunately it seems inevitable they will be. As for walking away, i think you know that for many many fans that just isn’t going to happen.
I can also guarantee our typical response is going to be well what about... golf, boxing, f1 etc. But even more relevant, what about your own club taking money for the last 12 years from the saudis in the form of sponsorship?

The Saudis were always going to get into football - as you say the sport washing has been going on for a while now with many other sports happy to turn a blind eye to the issues whilst bringing in the money.

I can see the club certainly getting themselves back amongst the likes of Everton , Villa , Leicester etc - will clearly depend on what sort of money can be spent by the club

D

Deleted member 1740

If the Saudi’s run your team, it’s time to walk away. It’s like having North Korea or Israel in charge.

Are you suggesting fans should have morals about a sport where morals left the game many moons ago??

I admire your outlook and morals but I doubt all clubs at the highest level have been squeaky clean in the morals dept.

Imagine we all stuck to our morals and walked away from football, there would be no game.

Non of the above is excusing the behaviour of the Saudis BTW.

D

Deleted member 1740

Listening to the fans calling in on the way home and that was the general feeling - they don’t want to be part of the sport washing and be owned by them but they are desperate for Ashley to go - with financial restrictions in place are they able to do what Chelsea then City did ?

I suppose its like picking which one to look after your kids, Hindley or Brady.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s been poor the last few matches I’ve been at, but hopefully now it’ll be a bit better. Where the away fans are doesn’t help, but nothing they can do about that, but hopefully having something to cheer about as opposed to just booing might create a better atmosphere.
To be fair, they can do something about that. They could bring them down to a better level, whether behind the goal or at the side. Putting them up in the gods means that they are barely heard by most of the ground and atmosphere is lost. It would ruffle some feathers with home fans who are moved but it is something the club should have done years ago.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And another high profile premier league footballer arrested on suspicion of sexual assault. The bit of carpet they brush them under must be getting bigger and bigger.....

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Listening to the fans calling in on the way home and that was the general feeling - they don’t want to be part of the sport washing and be owned by them but they are desperate for Ashley to go - with financial restrictions in place are they able to do what Chelsea then City did ?

It doesn't matter whether we match what Chelsea and City did.

In the short term all that matters is that we have a club with vision and ambition and merely tries both on and off the field to achieve as high a finish as they can. Currently the club ownership is content to finish 17th each season.

Mike Ashley has robbed the fans and the city of the one thing that is critical where football supporters are concerned - HOPE. Maybe the takeover (irrespective of any reservations about the owners) might restore it. I believe that would be a start for most fans.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
To be fair, they can do something about that. They could bring them down to a better level, whether behind the goal or at the side. Putting them up in the gods means that they are barely heard by most of the ground and atmosphere is lost. It would ruffle some feathers with home fans who are moved but it is something the club should have done years ago.
I think that Northumbria police have raised reservations about this when the PL asked that away fans be placed behind goals or on ground level. The argument being they can control and box them in on level 7. But I agree they are lost up there.

D

Deleted member 16999

It doesn't matter whether we match what Chelsea and City did.

In the short term all that matters is that we have a club with vision and ambition and merely tries both on and off the field to achieve as high a finish as they can. Currently the club ownership is content to finish 17th each season.

Mike Ashley has robbed the fans and the city of the one thing that is critical where football supporters are concerned - HOPE. Maybe the takeover (irrespective of any reservations about the owners) might restore it. I believe that would be a start for most fans.
I’d like to think that possibly becoming the richest Club in the world the fans initially will have that hope in abundance and maybe within a few years, the belief they can challenge the for the top.

As previously posted, enjoy the ride.(y)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hard to find a good owner now days, you need stupid money to do anything and fans seem to think people just want to throw money at a club.

Good luck to Newcastle, I mean they won't be as well run as Leicester but they just got a class owner but if they transform the club to what the fan base deserves fair play

I wish we could replace our owners but they seem to have taken a back seat and trusting the manager now so it's a step in right direction

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest, who would be happy with a club that could only compete on a domestic level if it meant that all clubs reverted to the ownership of the supporters.

Would you give up your star names, be prepared to lose any promising youngsters to richer clubs abroad and having to go through, and often be knocked out in, the qulifying rounds of European tournaments if it ended corporate and foreign ownership across the board and put clubs in the hands of the supporters and communities.

Never going to happen, totally hypothetical but it always crosses my mind when another big money takeover hits the news, would fans give up all of the glory and riches that it brings to effectively get their club back.

D

Deleted member 16999

Hard to find a good owner now days, you need stupid money to do anything and fans seem to think people just want to throw money at a club.

Good luck to Newcastle, I mean they won't be as well run as Leicester but they just got a class owner but if they transform the club to what the fan base deserves fair play

I wish we could replace our owners but they seem to have taken a back seat and trusting the manager now so it's a step in right direction
You mean the current Leicester owners that broke the financial rules to get out of the Championship?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest, who would be happy with a club that could only compete on a domestic level if it meant that all clubs reverted to the ownership of the supporters.

Would you give up your star names, be prepared to lose any promising youngsters to richer clubs abroad and having to go through, and often be knocked out in, the qulifying rounds of European tournaments if it ended corporate and foreign ownership across the board and put clubs in the hands of the supporters and communities.

Never going to happen, totally hypothetical but it always crosses my mind when another big money takeover hits the news, would fans give up all of the glory and riches that it brings to effectively get their club back.
We don't compete in Europe, like most clubs, so that wouldn't bother me.

What you also describe happens already. Promising youngster, gets bought by bigger fish, star names are of a level but if they go bigger they will be bought by a richer club. No change there.

It will only bother the small elite at the top. In a way, it is like saying do you want the rich few at the top to clear off and play a European Super League and we will carry on without you? Yup, it wouldn't bother me. It won't happen though.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just trying to think of players at clubs who may be on their way out who Newcastle could sign.
Sterling, would he want to go there?
Lingard, maybe.
Kane ??
Got to be honest I'm struggling. I imagine they'll do a City and pay over the odds for hyped prima donnas first off.