The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re Agueroooooooooooo. I don’t think any City fan has a bad word to say about him but unfortunately his legs had gone. Last season he played bit part roles and a couple of goals got some City fans thinking he had one last “ Hurrah” in him. It never happened, partly because of ffp his wages went off the bill to make room for a n other aka Kane. That never materialised because of Levy playing hardball. Kayky was brought in as an eventual successor to Aguero, but not now. He was supposed to arrive in Jan but that has been brought forward for obvious reasons. What I find odd is City have Liam Delap who has been banging them in for fun, but he has never really been given a chance. Is he rated? Well City turned down £15 million from Dortmund for him so he cannot be that bad. Which then leads to the question. Why do Dortmund want Delap when they have Haaland ?
Well they won't have Haaland after this season.

I think Pep sees Ferran Torres as a viable striker option, he starts him there half the time. He doesn't do bad there either to be fair. Not sure he's ever going to be world class in that position though.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Managers identify weaknesses, go to their Director of Football, point this out. The Director of Football, if any good, will give a range of options to the manager that suit the criteria of what the manager wants, within the budget available. The Manager will decide with the DoF their wish list, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and then the DoF goes and does their stuff. That is how it should work and I expect it does work at City. Pep is big enough to have that level of say. Clubs that don't include the manager in the process are foolish in the extreme. If Pep was not asking for an Aguero replacement then I would be amazed. The amount of chances they create :eek:. Imagine a Lewandowski or Kane being fed that number of chances.
Re the bit about DOF etc. City’s business plan was built around the famous academy at Barca goin back 15-20 years and maybe longer. Very early on they brought in two guys from Barca who run the club. They are very good pals with Pep and it was always City’s aim To bring him in. However they way in which he was brought in stuck in a lot of City fans throats. That said. The business model re trophies has not been bad massively helped with Oil Money.
When I look at how City is run now compared to the 80,s throgh to the 00,as it is a wonder we never ended up in the Vauxhall conference North

D

Deleted member 15344

I doubt anyone using their brain could disagree with that. It is a more than likely possibility. Just wondering why you felt it was a point that needed made when discussing City not buying a striker. Unless their only aim is to finish above Utd and nothing else, at which point you could argue it was not a necessity to buy a striker.

Mind you, it is flattering that the priority from some supporters of other clubs is to simply finish above Utd. Personally, despite Utd easily finishing above Liverpool last season, I wasn't satisfied as I always want us to finish at the very top.

Because you have a Man Utd fan on the board stating that Pep has lost it and UTD will finish above City and Liverpool ?‍♂️

I don’t think anyone stated that the priority is to finish above UTD ?‍♂️ And I certainly wouldn’t use last season as ball park for us with the level of injuries we suffered. With all the squads at their right level and with the managers they currently have then imo Utd will be the clear 4th - Chelsea are being given the favourite tag at the moment with City being their nearest rival but I think it’s going to be very close with those two and Liverpool - the teams all have the experience of winning big comps , they have a manager in charge who can win the big comps and their squads imo are very close in terms of ability with each having a potential weak area.

If City had bought Kane then they would have walked the League imo - because they didn’t that keeps it all very close

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re the bit about DOF etc. City’s business plan was built around the famous academy at Barca goin back 15-20 years and maybe longer. Very early on they brought in two guys from Barca who run the club. They are very good pals with Pep and it was always City’s aim To bring him in. However they way in which he was brought in stuck in a lot of City fans throats. That said. The business model re trophies has not been bad massively helped with Oil Money.
When I look at how City is run now compared to the 80,s throgh to the 00,as it is a wonder we never ended up in the Vauxhall conference North
Ah the days of Peter Swales...........old school stuff

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not forgetting the Messiah Franny Lee ?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, oh yes, I had. You have had some doozers.

It is why so many don't begrudge current times. That will run out of course, the new generation won't have felt the pain of you guys, will take it for granted and arrogance will creep in. It is the way of things sadly, evidence shown in clubs fairly local to City ;)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, oh yes, I had. You have had some doozers.

It is why so many don't begrudge current times. That will run out of course, the new generation won't have felt the pain of you guys, will take it for granted and arrogance will creep in. It is the way of things sadly, evidence shown in clubs fairly local to City ;)
You know this is as pleasant a morning ave had nattering re football. Our local rivals. Mostly the ones that go. I have all the time in the world for them. They tend to say what is wrong etc. It’s not so much rose tinted glasses all the time. A majority of those who have never been however. Well am not going there.

heard a lovely story about a bloke i knew at me first pit back in the 80,s. It was his funeral on weds and it kicked off coz there was not many there to pay respects. I said you cannot get to everyone ( weds, thurs, today are funerals of lads I knew)
Anyway this miner nickname “Leather” was sat in a pub on his own and a guy Joins him. Whilst talking rammel over a beer Leather drops out he is a Utd fan but has never been to the Swamp aka Old Trafford. 2 days later he gets a phone call, do you fancy going. Said guy had managed to get 2 tickets for Utd v Wolves midweek. Leather was ecstatic. So off they go. Leather is in the pub trying to learn words to songs he has never heard. Had three hotdogs, bought the scarf and bobble hat. Saw Utd win a rubbish game 1 -0 with Danny welbeck I think scoring the winner. When the game finished Leather was the last out. He never wanted to leave. Me pal said he was like a 6 year old going to his first game. Only he was nearly 50. He never shut up and had tears in his eyes when leaving. He said it’s like a World Cup final. He only went the once.
I suppose me point is football gets you like that.
RIP LEATHER.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was it not a drop ball? West Ham delayed playing it, and Bruno felt it was in play (which I'm trying to figure out why it wasn't in play when ref dropped it)?
There is no such thing anymore really. Can’t remember the last time I saw a properly contested drop ball.
The refs very rarely stop the game ,it’s the players who do it now by putting the ball out of play.
So the ref just gives them the ball back.
Only seen it on the news , why was the game stopped?
Would think this comes under ungentlemeny conduct.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How long does the West Ham player have to play the ball before it becomes in play? There has to be a point in time after the ref drops the ball that the opposition can challenge for it otherwise a team that is 1-0 up could just stand beside a drop ball and not play it until the ref blows for full time.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How long does the West Ham player have to play the ball before it becomes in play? There has to be a point in time after the ref drops the ball that the opposition can challenge for it otherwise a team that is 1-0 up could just stand beside a drop ball and not play it until the ref blows for full time.
Good point .
But is this in the rules ,? it’s just crept into the game.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no such thing anymore really. Can’t remember the last time I saw a properly contested drop ball.
The refs very rarely stop the game ,it’s the players who do it now by putting the ball out of play.
So the ref just gives them the ball back.
Only seen it on the news , why was the game stopped?
Would think this comes under ungentlemeny conduct.

Ball hit the ref.. restart with a drop ball to the team in possession at the time

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Very true, but I'd imagine a striker would have been their number 1 target, given they seem to be so strong everywhere else. So, to get Grealish was an interesting move. He fits well to how they play, but they have an abundance of talent in those areas, I'd have thought they'd get a striker above all else. Maybe they felt they could get Grealish AND a striker, so just bit the bullet and got Grealish while they could. Although, in hindsight, if they hadn't spent £100m on Grealish, would they have been able to offer a fee for Kane that Spurs could not refuse? Man City with Kane would probably have been a much more frightening prospect that Man City with just one more excellent midfielder on their squad that they can rotate in and out of the 1st 11.

Or for a change, like most others they could get two players in the 30-50 million pound bracket and maybe coach them to be better.

But that isnt City's modus operandi, is it?

Swango1980

Visit site
Or for a change, like most others they could get two players in the 30-50 million pound bracket and maybe coach them to be better.

But that isnt City's modus operandi, is it?
Not sure I wanna talk about football today. Not only does fantastic Ole lead Utd to a 1-0 defeat to Villa at Old Trafford, Bruno somehow is arrogant enough to think he should take penalties ahead of Ronaldo. Absolute joke.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure I wanna talk about football today. Not only does fantastic Ole lead Utd to a 1-0 defeat to Villa at Old Trafford, Bruno somehow is arrogant enough to think he should take penalties ahead of Ronaldo. Absolute joke.

Was there any arguing over who took it?

If not, there may be next time, that is something that Ole can't allow to go unsorted. Two big personalities, it needs sorting out prior rather than on the pitch at a crucial time.