The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Playing a sport with a ball is one of the most natural things. Playing with an egg that bounces unevenly, thus taking the element of skill away and placing more random luck into play, isn't. Let's see NBA with an egg and see how it goes.....
Reasonable point.
I just can't sit through it.
I can sit through rugby, especially union rules,
but the game that we savages call "soccer" leaves me blurry eyed.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
That's because it's played with the feet ie football rather than hugging with your hands
Yes, I suppose. I just didn't grow up with it.

I was given a bat that was round [not a cricket bat],
a glove for my non-throwing hand,
shoes with flat steel spikes rather than cleats [not like track shoe spikes or the golf spikes we used years ago],
and a dozen very hard balls that had wound file wool yarn under the white leather cover with red stitching.

When I kicked it, I was charged with an error on the scorecard.
So that's an odd transition.

As to our version of "football,"
yes, it's quadriplegia waiting to happen and should probably be banned,
but at least I was exposed to it young.

Association football, which we call soccer, has become an accepted school and recreational game in America,
but as ticketed sports entertainment, it's pretty far down the list,
and we recognize that this is globally unusual.

The first time I ever saw it as a child was in the cinema.
Lots of American youngsters play it now.
It's just not a big entertainment revenue producer.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reasonable point.
I just can't sit through it.
I can sit through rugby, especially union rules,
but the game that we savages call "soccer" leaves me blurry eyed.

The renford rejects summed it up perfect ... Americans just can't do draws or appreciate the lesser points of the game

They wanted bigger goals so more goals scored with head sets for keepers so they could talk to the crowd ?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
The renford rejects summed it up perfect ... Americans just can't do draws or appreciate the lesser points of the game

They wanted bigger goals so more goals scored with head sets for keepers so they could talk to the crowd ?

I have no doubt that your football is a highly skilled game.
As for draws which we call ties, timed games should have them. I disagree with most Americans on that.
Head sets for talking goalkeepers is indeed a psychotic suggestion.

It's the game itself. Americans value hand-eye coordination more than anything else in sports.
At least you use your eyes.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no doubt that your football is a highly skilled game.
As for draws which we call ties, timed games should have them. I disagree with most Americans on that.
Head sets for talking goalkeepers is indeed a psychotic suggestion.

It's the game itself. Americans value hand-eye coordination more than anything else in sports.
At least you use your eyes.

To be fair foot to eye coordination is a massive ability...

4LEX

Visit site
That is the reason Utd won't do anything under Ole. A top class side, 1 up and he reverts to Cardiff like tactics. Never seen such cowardly management in my years watching football. YB are a joke side, you bring on attackers and win the game, not holding out for 1-0, then 1-1. Got what he deserved. That doesn't even mention the appalling subs.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, I suppose. I just didn't grow up with it.

I was given a bat that was round [not a cricket bat],
a glove for my non-throwing hand,
shoes with flat steel spikes rather than cleats [not like track shoe spikes or the golf spikes we used years ago],
and a dozen very hard balls that had wound file wool yarn under the white leather cover with red stitching.

When I kicked it, I was charged with an error on the scorecard.
So that's an odd transition.

As to our version of "football,"
yes, it's quadriplegia waiting to happen and should probably be banned,
but at least I was exposed to it young.

Association football, which we call soccer, has become an accepted school and recreational game in America,
but as ticketed sports entertainment, it's pretty far down the list,
and we recognize that this is globally unusual.

The first time I ever saw it as a child was in the cinema.
Lots of American youngsters play it now.
It's just not a big entertainment revenue producer.

Probably because its not a sport you invented, that you can be best in the world at. ;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
AWB is a better defender than him, but if you asked the majority of premiership team fans who they would want to sign for their club, I think the vast majority of top and mid table teams would pick TAA.
It's what you do as as a full package, and what you do for your team that counts. Liverpool allow him the freedom to bomb on, as he gives so much to our attack, and as VVD and Gomez have been able to defend one on one well, we take that gamble. Playing for a team like Norwich or Newcastle with 25-40% possession and mainly defending, not as much.

Do you slag off AWB for hitting the first man every 2nd cross or general poor delivery?

Fragger, is it too late to edit this one mate?

Phil, phil.......

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
That is the reason Utd won't do anything under Ole. A top class side, 1 up and he reverts to Cardiff like tactics. Never seen such cowardly management in my years watching football. YB are a joke side, you bring on attackers and win the game, not holding out for 1-0, then 1-1. Got what he deserved. That doesn't even mention the appalling subs.
Took grandson to football tonight, talking to a guy about golf. Another guy chips in Utds winning. I mentioned about Ole not being up to it. He was adamant he was. Not seen owt tonight to convince me he was right.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

You saw Gareth at the Euros didn’t you.
Must agree with you though some baffling decisions.