The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

I’ve never said he can’t defend he just doesn’t defend well.
I’ve said many times he gets caught too far upfield and doesn’t get back in position enough.
You watch those clips I’m on about and tell me he’s a world class defender, the best right back according to Klopp.
He could never play in a 3 as you say but a 4 or a 5 he could.
Yes getting better, yes still young but Klopp talks so much crap he must be trying to convince himself.

Some serious backtracking here PJ.

Can't defend/can't defend well is the same thing, as you suggested he should move into midfield.

He's told and coached by the manager to get that far up the field, there will be times he gets exposed, that's football. It's about taking risks. He's not a F1 car.

I've seen more of TAA in 5 seasons than you have and I don't need a 5min clip to see he has faults.
That game you're actually talking about I was right in line with that goal, it was a big looping header. He wasn't at fault for giving a free header on the front post. Zonal marking doesn't have the back post protected, that's a downfall of zonal marking.

Very few top teams play 442, and neither do we. Playing a 433 or 451 you'd be dropping 1 of Jota,Mane or Salah. Who would you drop to play TAA further forward?

Klopp speaks the truth, sometimes it's hard to understand when you let your hatred for Liverpool cloud your judgement.

D

Deleted member 1740

Yes surprised WBS missed out that’s why I think he will play a 3
TAA plays RB for Liverpool but imo and it’s only an opinion he can’t defend and he gets too far forward and then teams attack and he’s caught upfield,that why I don’t think he will play much he will leave us exposed.
Haven’t seen Trippier play at all this year,however James although he can chuck in an error will be more disciplined.

Tony did your computer get hacked back in June ?????

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What if you miss the header and land on someone's ankle as you come down? Both feet off the floor, no control of your landing and injures and opponent.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. To me that's an unfortunate accident but I still think that the Elliot injury was also an unfortunate accident with no intent to harm the opponent.
He’s trying to win possession of the ball from behind.
He could have just tackled him and put the ball out for a throw.
He hooks his leg around the ball and twists his body.
There is only one place his other leg can go ,that’s through Elliot.
He’s unlucky that he catches him.
But he’s off the ground. Out of control is debatable , but he caught him so he isn’t in control.
The pictures from behind show it best it’s hard to watch but it’s dangerous.

Antonio did a similar thing last week I think .Foot over the ball and landed on the ops foot , ref booked him.
I didn’t think it was red at first but looking again it’s a bad tackle from behind. There are times you can’t get the ball without going through your op, I think this is one of them.

Swango1980

Visit site
He’s trying to win possession of the ball from behind.
He could have just tackled him and put the ball out for a throw.
He hooks his leg around the ball and twists his body.
There is only one place his other leg can go ,that’s through Elliot.
He’s unlucky that he catches him.
But he’s off the ground. Out of control is debatable , but he caught him so he isn’t in control.
The pictures from behind show it best it’s hard to watch but it’s dangerous.

Antonio did a similar thing last week I think .Foot over the ball and landed on the ops foot , ref booked him.
I didn’t think it was red at first but looking again it’s a bad tackle from behind. There are times you can’t get the ball without going through your op, I think this is one of them.
There was a challenge on Richarlison last night which was exactly the same as the one on Elliot. So much so Gary and Jamie included it in their analysis after game. I don't think anyone batted an eyelid at the time in terms of it being a red, not even a yellow to be honest.

The red was given on the challenge on Elliot simply down to the injury.

Many many many challenges require players to leave the ground for a fraction of a second. Doesn't make it a dangerous lunge. A player could make a challenge by not leaving the ground, mis time it or be aggressive and snap someones leg in 2.

It is too simplistic by trying to justify a red simply by saying a player left the ground or out of control (for any given foul, is the player in control?). Surely each challenge needs to be analysed in it's own terms. Sometimes horrific injuries occur from the most tame, innocent and honest challenges. Sometimes the most horrific challenges luckily result in no injury at all.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There was a challenge on Richarlison last night which was exactly the same as the one on Elliot. So much so Gary and Jamie included it in their analysis after game. I don't think anyone batted an eyelid at the time in terms of it being a red, not even a yellow to be honest
I can assure you, more than a few eyelids were batted after that. The commentator and co commentator picked up on it straight away, Everton fans all over were screaming at it. It was a minimum yellow card and he could have had no complaints had it been red. The defender wanted to put Richarlison in the stands, he knew exactly what he was doing.

(possibly the wrong tackle being talked about by me if LB is correct #15,173)

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can assure you, more than a few eyelids were batted after that. The commentator and co commentator picked up on it straight away, Everton fans all over were screaming at it. It was a minimum yellow card and he could have had no complaints had it been red. The defender wanted to put Richarlison in the stands, he knew exactly what he was doing.

I think that was a different one to what swango meant.

The one on the touchline was a "take the lot" and yes, yellow minimum, whereas the one he may mean was possibly near the centre circle.

D

Deleted member 1740

I think the refs again have gone to the extreme where they’re letting the game flow but there’s still fouls that should be given.

I think all football fans will agree we need to get rid of diving in the game that’s blighted it for the last 20yrs or so and the only way to deal with diving is to stop giving fouls. That said I’ve watched loads of PL football this season and seen loads of fouls not given where they should. Its a fine line and I hope the refs will start to adjust as stage season goes on.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the refs again have gone to the extreme where they’re letting the game flow but there’s still fouls that should be given.

I think all football fans will agree we need to get rid of diving in the game that’s blighted it for the last 20yrs or so and the only way to deal with diving is to stop giving fouls. That said I’ve watched loads of PL football this season and seen loads of fouls not given where they should. Its a fine line and I hope the refs will start to adjust as stage season goes on.

I agree, but i want us to massively come away from people being touched and just hitting the deck to get a foul.

It'll never be perfect, but would rather it went back the other way, and some be not right, than the last 5-10 years of it being a race to hit the deck. It has become too soft.

Swango1980

Visit site

(possibly the wrong tackle being talked about by me if LB is correct #15,173)
Indeed, the challenge you are thinking about was a shocker.

D

Deleted member 15344

I was listening to the game on 5live , they talked about one tackle on Richarlinson and they said it was a clean man and ball tackle that previously was fine 30 years ago but was a yellow and foul last season and is now fine again ?‍♂️ Seems to be a mess

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was listening to the game on 5live , they talked about one tackle on Richarlinson and they said it was a clean man and ball tackle that previously was fine 30 years ago but was a yellow and foul last season and is now fine again ?‍♂️ Seems to be a mess

no way that tackle is fine again, any other ref and thats a foul and a yellow (minimum), just atkinson being atkinson (or thinking richarlison deserved it ;) )