The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
So you can't name any?

I'm sure if we look back at many top managers they've all talked crap at times.

Did Klopp call him a world class defender or a world class RB - there is a difference.

I know TAA's weaknesses - letting wingers come on the inside too easy, not great in the air, not hitting the target enough on free kicks. Sometimes ball watches.

The lad is 22.

Cafu, Alves have been mentioned by most - were these great DEFENDERS? Yes, but I would have others above them when it comes to defending. Were they great full backs, undoubtedly. At Left Back, Roberto Carlos, Alba.

Lahm probably had the best balance of the two, although Thuram was majestic.

AWB is a better defender than him, but if you asked the majority of premiership team fans who they would want to sign for their club, I think the vast majority of top and mid table teams would pick TAA.
It's what you do as as a full package, and what you do for your team that counts. Liverpool allow him the freedom to bomb on, as he gives so much to our attack, and as VVD and Gomez have been able to defend one on one well, we take that gamble. Playing for a team like Norwich or Newcastle with 25-40% possession and mainly defending, not as much.

Do you slag off AWB for hitting the first man every 2nd cross or general poor delivery?

He does a great job for us, wouldnt swap him for anyone in the prem in the same position. Can he improve defensively, God yes.

I know you currently dont have the common sense to grasp this, as you are increasing letting bias and sheer stupidity cloud your judgement nowadays, a bit different to a few years ago when I could have a sensible conversation with you for a good few years. Has us winning 2 big trophies twisted you up that much? Allied to Man U's fall from grace (although returning again by the looks of it), or are you just ok when things are going well and a fair weather supporter. The difference is noticeable.

Anyway, grasp this.

Rob Jones was a better defender than Gary Neville, absolutely.

However, Gary Neville was a better right back.

Therein lies the difference. (y)
You made since until the utter drivel about Rob Jones even if you did try to include a caveat to justify the nonsense.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
So are goalkeepers .
But it’s very hard to dislocate someone’s ankle with your head.

It’s interesting though , Louis of Arsenal injured Himenez of wolves with his head ,both feet off the floor.
Was he out of control , it was a very nasty injury and could be called forceful .
If you tackle with your foot and your late it’s a foul, but very rarely given if your late and butt someone.

The tackle on Elliot is a red, just as a tackle that gets the ball first but then goes through onto the player causing serious damage. It’s about controlling the outcome. It’s a reckless tackle. Unintentional? Just reckless.

But being off the ground doesn’t necessarily mean out of control… bit like undertaking on the motorway. Got to be more careful.

Swango1980

Visit site
So are goalkeepers .
But it’s very hard to dislocate someone’s ankle with your head.

It’s interesting though , Louis of Arsenal injured Himenez of wolves with his head ,both feet off the floor.
Was he out of control , it was a very nasty injury and could be called forceful .
If you tackle with your foot and your late it’s a foul, but very rarely given if your late and butt someone.
Yeah, I thought that at the time. Luiz came flying in and smashed an opponents head in, potentially the most life threatening injury. No card. Yet, a player goes in with feet and contacts a player (or even misses) and red card is awarded.

Goalkeepers also seem to often get away with punching opponents in the head.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think this idea of letting the play flow is going too far... Burnley this season are playing like a team from the 80s, smashing people and getting away with it. Players are going to get injured.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems Burnley dont mind which side it is from Liverpool, theyll kick anything that moves lol

Was just going to post something similar. I've just seen two worse tackles by Burnley players in the space of three minutes than the one yesterday and the ref didn't book either player. Either or both could have resulted in a worse injury than Elliott's. And then the ref gives the Everton player a yellow for a foul that was less dangerous than either of the other two.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So you can't name any?

I'm sure if we look back at many top managers they've all talked crap at times.

Did Klopp call him a world class defender or a world class RB - there is a difference.

I know TAA's weaknesses - letting wingers come on the inside too easy, not great in the air, not hitting the target enough on free kicks. Sometimes ball watches.

The lad is 22.

Cafu, Alves have been mentioned by most - were these great DEFENDERS? Yes, but I would have others above them when it comes to defending. Were they great full backs, undoubtedly. At Left Back, Roberto Carlos, Alba.

Lahm probably had the best balance of the two, although Thuram was majestic.

AWB is a better defender than him, but if you asked the majority of premiership team fans who they would want to sign for their club, I think the vast majority of top and mid table teams would pick TAA.
It's what you do as as a full package, and what you do for your team that counts. Liverpool allow him the freedom to bomb on, as he gives so much to our attack, and as VVD and Gomez have been able to defend one on one well, we take that gamble. Playing for a team like Norwich or Newcastle with 25-40% possession and mainly defending, not as much.

Do you slag off AWB for hitting the first man every 2nd cross or general poor delivery?

He does a great job for us, wouldnt swap him for anyone in the prem in the same position. Can he improve defensively, God yes.

I know you currently dont have the common sense to grasp this, as you are increasing letting bias and sheer stupidity cloud your judgement nowadays, a bit different to a few years ago when I could have a sensible conversation with you for a good few years. Has us winning 2 big trophies twisted you up that much? Allied to Man U's fall from grace (although returning again by the looks of it), or are you just ok when things are going well and a fair weather supporter. The difference is noticeable.

Anyway, grasp this.

Rob Jones was a better defender than Gary Neville, absolutely.

However, Gary Neville was a better right back.

Therein lies the difference. (y)

Honourable mention of Ashley Cole at LB - when he was at Arsenal he was immense, scared me every time we played them. He was allowed more free reign than in his Chelsea years, and probably the best all-round full back I've seen in the prem.

D

Deleted member 15344

You made since until the utter drivel about Rob Jones even if you did try to include a caveat to justify the nonsense.
Rob Jones was an outstanding defender - it’s a shame that injury affected his England career when he was looking to be their right back for years

D

Deleted member 15344

I think this idea of letting the play flow is going too far... Burnley this season are playing like a team from the 80s, smashing people and getting away with it. Players are going to get injured.
As i said a couple weeks back - ale house football and the new directives are allowing them to do it

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Rob Jones was an outstanding defender - it’s a shame that injury affected his England career when he was looking to be their right back for years
Rob Jones was very good but even before the injuries really hit he wasn’t on the same level as a peak Gary Neville and he certainly never showed the consistency. He also never established himself for England though there’s no shame being behind Lee Dixon. Though even Paul Parker played more times for England…

D

Deleted member 15344

Rob Jones was very good but even before the injuries really hit he wasn’t on the same level as a peak Gary Neville and he certainly never showed the consistency. He also never established himself for England though there’s no shame being behind Lee Dixon. Though even Paul Parker played more times for England…
Rob Jones was due to be the starting right back in the 92 Euros until he first got his shin splints which ruled him out of the tournament and then affected him for the rest of his career which is why he never got the chance to establish himself.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Rob Jones was due to be the starting right back in the 92 Euros until he first got his shin splints which ruled him out of the tournament and then affected him for the rest of his career which is why he never got the chance to establish himself.
He had the chance to establish himself between 92 and 96 for England but he never did. That’s not even relevant to this though. Rob Jones is the amazing potential who never fulfilled it.