The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The best player on that list is Suarez.
Bowen and Stones with decent value and very good.
Berbatov arguably the most successful.

But I reckon all clubs would take the opportunity to sign Suarez if given the choice.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The best player on that list is Suarez.
Bowen and Stones with decent value and very good.
Berbatov arguably the most successful.

But I reckon all clubs would take the opportunity to sign Suarez if given the choice.

I think most clubs would take berbatov aswell

Most would take Bowen now but not back when signed him

D

Deleted member 15344

Ability wise yes I'd agree.

Left for a good price aswell

However the racist bit and the biting would put him down the list for me, didn't reflect well on the club no?

The issues he had don’t distract from the level of player he was when we signed him ,
I think it was offset by the 82 goals he scored so they didn't care. No morals in football, as Gordon Strachan famously said.
no amount of goals offset his actions when biting players

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The issues he had don’t distract from the level of player he was when we signed him ,

no amount of goals offset his actions when biting players

Even with him though it didn't push Liverpool on would you not agree? One league cup in his time with Liverpool

Compared to frankly us being relegation fodder to 3 European campaigns and a trophy for the first time in 40 years

For the money we paid for him he has been quite brilliant

Where as before Suarez Liverpool have been a big club , if he had won you the title for the first time then I'd be inclined to agree , where as you won it years after he left

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Even with him though it didn't push Liverpool on would you not agree? One league cup in his time with Liverpool

Compared to frankly us being relegation fodder to 3 European campaigns and a trophy for the first time in 40 years

Where as before Suarez Liverpool have been a big club , if he had won you the title for the first time then I'd be inclined to agree , where as you won it years after he left
That's a different criteria.

Biggest impact, yeah he probably wins it. But if that's the criteria then big clubs will likely not count as short of winning the treble single handed they would get outshone but lesser achievements.

D

Deleted member 15344

He helped take a team from mid table to being within a couple of points of winning the league - he was untouchable in 13/14 season ,best in the league by a mile - he was head and shoulders above.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's a different criteria.

Biggest impact, yeah he probably wins it. But if that's the criteria then big clubs will likely not count as short of winning the treble single handed they would get outshone but lesser achievements.

If vvd had been deadline day I'd of put him as one of the best because as Phil says he has transformed Liverpool from also runs to actual winners in the league and title contenders every year (plus champs league)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He helped take a team from mid table to being within a couple of points of winning the league - he was untouchable in 13/14 season ,best in the league by a mile - he was head and shoulders above.

That season was incredible, I always rated Sturridge. Shame about his injuries

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If vvd had been deadline day I'd of put him as one of the best because as Phil says he has transformed Liverpool from also runs to actual winners in the league and title contenders every year (plus champs league)
Tbh imo Allison has been just as important to that change.

That being said, it's still a different criteria.
Suarez is the best player signed on deadline day. That was the orignal question wasn't it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tbh imo Allison has been just as important to that change.

That being said, it's still a different criteria.
Suarez is the best player signed on deadline day. That was the orignal question wasn't it.

Best player will always be top clubs, best deadline day signings in relation is more level playing field

World class player in Suarez , but impact wise Bowen leads

Berbatov still is one of the best

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Shame about his ‘quirk’ but he was way up there with the very best. Sublime to watch, but so frustrating if he was having a quiet 20 mins. But he’d then explode into the box and do something spectacular.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Suarez wasn't a world class player at the time.
Granted he wasn't from Hull, but he wasn't a top top player.
And the best players often go to clubs prior to the big ones.

If saints had signed VVD on deadline day say he'd have been just as great as VVD to Liverpool.

You're letting impact over rule ability imo. Forget deadline day, is suarez a better signing than grealish? Imo clearly, yet one has one a treble.

Same token, if you'd lost the cup final, Bowen would still be a great signing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Suarez wasn't a world class player at the time.
Granted he wasn't from Hull, but he wasn't a top top player.
And the best players often go to clubs prior to the big ones.

If saints had signed VVD on deadline day say he'd have been just as great as VVD to Liverpool.

You're letting impact over rule ability imo. Forget deadline day, is suarez a better signing than grealish? Imo clearly, yet one has one a treble.

Same token, if you'd lost the cup final, Bowen would still be a great signing.

On ability basis I doubt you can beat January being Suarez

D

Deleted member 15344

Shame about his ‘quirk’ but he was way up there with the very best. Sublime to watch, but so frustrating if he was having a quiet 20 mins. But he’d then explode into the box and do something spectacular.

When looking at pure ability he is the one player from the past that I would love to see in this team . We have a whole load of players through the years that would just fit in nicely - i would have Suarez in the clubs best 11

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When looking at pure ability he is the one player from the past that I would love to see in this team . We have a whole load of players through the years that would just fit in nicely - i would have Suarez in the clubs best 11
That's a bloody good debate. I think in modern premier league era for you I'd still go gerrard.

I think you'd midfield still lacks a little. It's always been more workhorse and functional under klopp. Gerrard is just henderson x10.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He has to be up there in all time premier league teams not just Liverpool

D

Deleted member 15344

That's a bloody good debate. I think in modern premier league era for you I'd still go gerrard.

I think you'd midfield still lacks a little. It's always been more workhorse and functional under klopp. Gerrard is just henderson x10.

Gerrard would be just unreal in the 8 role but then could play all cross the three

Then imagine what Rush would be like in the middle of the front three - he was a pressing monster as well as lethal - or Barnes on the wide areas even Souness in the middle

Think this season it’s moved up a little from that workhorse type - Jones and Szoboszlai have added creativity this year that we didn’t have as much in previous years

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Gerrard would be just unreal in the 8 role but then could play all cross the three

Then imagine what Rush would be like in the middle of the front three - he was a pressing monster as well as lethal - or Barnes on the wide areas even Souness in the middle

Think this season it’s moved up a little from that workhorse type - Jones and Szoboszlai have added creativity this year that we didn’t have as much in previous years
Szobozlai looms a great buy, jones defo getting better. I guess it's all cyclical. Not sure of the stats re goals, I'd say you appear a little more open now, for both scoring and conceding.