The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Isn’t the current manager going upstairs to be director of football? Surely that’s a good start for getting the backroom staff sorted out?
That is true. And, on paper, I felt it was a positive move. However, I'll only start feeling more confident when there seem to be positive changes on the pitch. I've had false hope over the last few years enough times.

D

Deleted member 1740

He had Bournemouth well set for a few years in the PL and given the size of ground, limited income and depth of squad did alright.

Well set up, Not sure about that H. They couldnt keep clean sheets and thats not a definition of being well set up.

They conceded the following goals

67 in 15/16
67 in 16/17
61 in 17/18
56 in 18/19
65 in 19/20

D

Deleted member 1740

Which ones? We always make predictions, and unless we can genuinely read the future then inevitably, we'll not always be right.

I usually caveat my predictions, or give them with caution. However, I remembered some being pretty much certain that Howe was a dreadful appointment, and Newcastle would be doomed. My eyebrow was not raised that maybe Howe would not be a good appointment (there was always a chance he could fail), but it was raised that some could be so confident he'd be a failure.

This one is my favourite, word for word?

United's squad, in my opinion, is not far off the best squad in history of PL.......

???

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well set up, Not sure about that H. They couldnt keep clean sheets and thats not a definition of being well set up.

67 in 15/16
67 in 16/17
61 in 17/18
56 in 18/19
65 in 19/20

By the same token they must have won enough to stay up for four years. Only a point of Villa and a better goal difference when they went down. The point is they knew their limitations and played within those. I think Howe knew the defence were leaky but on limited resources who are you going to bring in and want to go to a club like that. A ninth and twelfth place finishes shows he could get them playing decent and organised football to achieve those finishes. I think like a lot of promoted sides, if they stay up after the first year and aren't making signings to keep developing they get found out tactically which ultimately is what happened

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

67 in 15/16
67 in 16/17
61 in 17/18
56 in 18/19
65 in 19/20

Howe is awful.

Good going forward poor at back

Reminds me of bilic in the sense former defender who can't set up a defence

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
As a Utd fan, personally I WOULD accept a period of rebuild.

Watching Utd this season has been horrific, unless we play against Leeds. The players find it impossible to control a game against anyone, it is frightening. As someone already pointed out, I am shocked Utd are even as high as they are in the league. Once ten Hag comes in, I will be more interested in his approach to build things up. I certainly won't expect Utd to come flying out of the traps, playing beautiful football and directly challenging for the title. Not even close to expecting that.

Utd will be losing quite a few players anyway due to contracts running out. He'll need to find out which remaining players have a chance of being part of a successful rebuild, and the ones that are either broken beyond repair, or whose attitude isn't right. And get rid. Then find the players to bring in. It seems that a lot more needs to change than just the manager. The coaching set-up probably needs a complete change, and the scouting.

The worry is that ten Hag comes in, but everything else behind the scenes remains broken and he really does have the impossible job.

I very much hope, and indeed suspect, that ten Hag has been very clear in his expectations before he put pen to paper. The constant revolving door of managers is a waste of time - it’s the structure of the club which needs to change, something the allegedly clueless Gary Neville has been saying for years.

Ten Hag strikes me as a man who knows his own mind, and one who has a very clear philosophy about how he wants the game to be played. But far more importantly, the suggestion is that he is a man who does not suffer fools. I doubt very much that he would have taken the job unless the club has committed to change. In that respect, my view is that the movement of Rangnick to a consultancy role, combined with the appointment of a young, modern coach is perhaps the most positive change the club has made in over a decade. We shall see.

As for being given time, I would far rather suffer a couple of seasons of average results, providing there is evidence of a structure and style on the pitch, and performances themselves start to improve. Albeit with the occasional great performance thrown in, the last few years have largely been dross.

I have said it many times, but I do not go to football matches, paying good money for the privilege, only to feel my anger, and with it my blood pressure, go through the roof. United are a truly awful watch these days - no joy about anything they do, on or off the pitch. I want the club to make me smile again, and to look forward to my drive down the Chester Road.

If that takes time, I’m willing to wait.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I very much hope, and indeed suspect, that ten Hag has been very clear in his expectations before he put pen to paper. The constant revolving door of managers is a waste of time - it’s the structure of the club which needs to change, something the allegedly clueless Gary Neville has been saying for years.

Ten Hag strikes me as a man who knows his own mind, and one who has a very clear philosophy about how he wants the game to be played. But far more importantly, the suggestion is that he is a man who does not suffer fools. I doubt very much that he would have taken the job unless the club has committed to change. In that respect, my view is that the movement of Rangnick to a consultancy role, combined with the appointment of a young, modern coach is perhaps the most positive change the club has made in over a decade. We shall see.

As for being given time, I would far rather suffer a couple of seasons of average results, providing there is evidence of a structure and style on the pitch, and performances themselves start to improve. Albeit with the occasional great performance thrown in, the last few years have largely been dross.

I have said it many times, but I do not go to football matches, paying good money for the privilege, only to feel my anger, and with it my blood pressure, go through the roof. United are a truly awful watch these days - no joy about anything they do, on or off the pitch. I want the club to make me smile again, and to look forward to my drive down the Chester Road.

If that takes time, I’m willing to wait.
The biggest possible barrier I see is the influence Ferguson might have.
Serarately, since Ferguson, United have only really had 1 (or maybe 2) actual top level big club Managers, and the Man U experience hasn't been great for them.

Swango1980

Visit site
That auld chestnut ???
It is probably worth learning to interpret the context of a post before taking things too seriously, and then trying to take the out of context statement to try and make a point. Because, when the context is actually explained (as if it had to to most people!?), it doesn't really support you initial point at all.

Even if I was the most biased Man Utd fan on earth, I still couldn't seriously be deluded enough to think United's current squad is best in PL history, better than the 1998/99 squad, or the squad with Rooney / Tevez / Ronaldo as the front 3. And, if you genuinely thought I was making a serious point at the time, I have no doubt you and many others would have challenged me on it immediately. You didn't, so I'm pretty sure you knew I wasn't being serious at all

D

Deleted member 1740

I'm a United fan and Ole embarrasses me.

United's squad, in my opinion, is not far off the best squad in history of PL (despite no Roy Keane leadership). But, excuses are continually made for Ole. Weak defensive midfield, not Ole's fault.

I've never really watched a top.side and thought they've the perfect player in ever position. The best teams have several great player, leaders, workers and a great manager to.get them playing to.full potential. Pepe or Klopp, I'm fairly confident they'd win many trophies with this Utd team. Ole looks for his players to inspire him.

All I can hope for is Ole proves me wrong. But he has done nothing to make me think that is a realistic dream.

Hey @Swango1980 here's your actual post.

I read it a dozen times when you posted and couldnt see the joke in it, so i've took it exactly how you've written it.

D

Deleted member 1740

It is probably worth learning to interpret the context of a post before taking things too seriously, and then trying to take the out of context statement to try and make a point. Because, when the context is actually explained (as if it had to to most people!?), it doesn't really support you initial point at all.

Even if I was the most biased Man Utd fan on earth, I still couldn't seriously be deluded enough to think United's current squad is best in PL history, better than the 1998/99 squad, or the squad with Rooney / Tevez / Ronaldo as the front 3. And, if you genuinely thought I was making a serious point at the time, I have no doubt you and many others would have challenged me on it immediately. You didn't, so I'm pretty sure you knew I wasn't being serious at all

I dont like to challenge everything i disagree with, i'm not like Liverpoolphil ?

My rule of thumb is if there's a smiley on the post then that represents there's a modicum of humour to it.

Yours seemed to be, in your own words "your opinion".

Own it and accept you got a little bit too excited when Ronaldo came back.

Swango1980

Visit site
Hey @Swango1980 here's your actual post.

I read it a dozen times when you posted and couldnt see the joke in it, so i've took it exactly how you've written it.
Well found (back on Page 762), must have taken a while. It also helps ME put into context why I said that, back in Sep 21 (I assumed you were referring to a post further into the season, rather than near the very start). Sure, close to the best PL in Premier League history was probably overstating my point, although the point I was making was, on paper at the time, we had great talent. We finished second the year before, and with the additions we had, felt we should be challenging at the top against two of the other teams who'd consider themselves amongst the best. That was my opinion at the time, and I was using it to vent my frustration at Ole (who most would agree, probably not the best manager in the world).

However, once RR arrived, it has now become blindingly obvious what a let down these players are. I never predicted that the likes of Maguire, Wan Bissaka, Bruno, Rashford and many others would experience horrific losses of form and confidence, that Greenwood would do what he supposedly did and that pretty much all the players would simply give up, and not bother running. Now, maybe they just cannot pick themselves up for RR either (no excuse) and they'd be a killer team under Klopp or Pep, but I will no longer give them that amount of credit. Not even close. There may be a lot of rubbish going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, I just can't get my head around the fact a whole team of players seem completely disinterested

So yes, fair enough, it very much looks like I was wrong about this squad of players. Although, to be fair, I have not held back since that post, and have now been immensely critical of the same squad of players. A fairly similar squad who could suddenly play good football when Ole first arrived simply because it looked like they could be bothered, then gave up when he signed his permanent deal, had intermittent decent performances for a while, and then have become the utter embarrassment that they are now. It probably highlights well that talent (which they've pretty much all shown in the past) goes absolutely nowhere if the mentality is poor.

P.S. I was excited when Ronaldo came back, his debut was possibly one of the most exciting times I've had as a Utd fan, and I'm glad he did as him and DeGea are about the only good highlights to come from this season.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...DeGea are about the only good highlights to come from this season.
I'm always a bit torn when admiring G'keepers so highly. It so often reflects badly on the rest of the team - agreed, Ronaldo aside. Great to see occasional feats of brilliance; just not having to see it constantly! :rolleyes:
Peter Schmeichel (ex step-son's hero) certainly didn't hold back if he felt the guys ahead of him had underperformed to put his goal in jeapardy!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep, fair enough - throwing 90 million quid at the problem certainly did the job. Howe will probably be decent for them from now on, since he won't need to coach them how to defend - just buy better defenders. (y)

Sorry but the 90 million "reason" doesn't wash and is an oversimplification peddled by many folks who now see their desire to see Newcastle relegated being ripped asunder.

To dismiss the achievement as being purely down to money, simply glosses over what has actually been achieved by Howe, his staff and the team. Trippier only started 4 games before being injured on the 13th Feb and hasn't played since. Guimaraes had 5 late sub appearances before actually starting his first game on the 10th March.

Joelinton has been resurrected as a player by Howe, the team now plays with a cohesive purpose, a sense of desire and ambition which is now mirrored in the stands. The team now displays guts and commitment. Money doesn't buy that.