The end of slow play??

PaulS

Visit site
As soon as it goes back to 3 and 4 balls the pace of play will drop , it’s quick right now because of - bunkers , pins , not searching for balls too much , 10 min 2 ball gaps etc , all things put in place to allow lots of spaces on the course but it’s with restrictions with many clubs only allowing members a certain amount of games a week etc.

The minute we go back to comps and 4 ball social games etc the time it takes to go around will increase.

It’s nice the pace of play at the moment but it’s also a false hope

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I doubt many courses that rely on visitors and societies to bolster their finances would survive if 2 ball golf became the norm.
Yes, rounds are faster but not that much to make up for losing out on revenue from 3 and 4 ball societies
It would also consign Foursomes, 4BBB etc to history....
What I do think the current climate shows is that, with correct spacing of tee times, rounds can be played faster if you're not standing around waiting. Obvious but now we have the proof.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Foursomes could be gone for a while due to sharing the ball...

Not sure we have proof just quite yet because we haven't played 2 balls with "normal" starting gaps. But to be honest, if the gaps are shortened there will just be more people on the course so pace of play can probably only go in one direction... ?
You say that but apparently tennis is fine so what's the difference?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Going back to the 1960's my old club had a 2ball/foursomes only rule until 10.30 am.
Gave the members a quick round until the visitors and 4 balls started at 10.30.
Foursomes was still a popular game then.
[For newbees foursomes are when two pairs play each other hitting alternate shots, not to be confused with fourballs or even the nondescript 'pairs']

PaulS

Visit site
You say that but apparently tennis is fine so what's the difference?

When you play tennis you have to bring your own tennis balls and you are only allowed to touch with your hands your own balls - so they have to make their balls to make sure it’s theirs before picking them up.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you play tennis you have to bring your own tennis balls and you are only allowed to touch with your hands your own balls - so they have to make their balls to make sure it’s theirs before picking them up.
You could easily come up with some similar guidelines to play foursomes. i.e. only the owner of the golf ball touches it. They'd just have to tee it up for their partner on the odd holes and then back away again, or something.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
When we start up again [ hopefully next week ] we've to arrive no earlier than 10 minutes before tee time.
We should have our own clubs with us and change in the car park. More guidance to follow from the powers that be.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going back to the 1960's my old club had a 2ball/foursomes only rule until 10.30 am.
Gave the members a quick round until the visitors and 4 balls started at 10.30.
Foursomes was still a popular game then.
[For newbees foursomes are when two pairs play each other hitting alternate shots, not to be confused with fourballs or even the nondescript 'pairs']
I would vote for that.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could easily come up with some similar guidelines to play foursomes. i.e. only the owner of the golf ball touches it. They'd just have to tee it up for their partner on the odd holes and then back away again, or something.
Just use the Texas scramble rule.
Hit drive mark and pick ball up then next player Places and plays his own ball.
Carry on like that. Alternative shots.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I'm not sure in which edition of The Complete Golfer (1st Ed 1905) that Harry Vardon first had a go at four-ball foursomes (as fourball was called back then) - but in my 1914 copy - his views...?

The new foursome is also a selfish game, because it is generally played with too little regard for the convenience and feelings of other golfers on the links. It is very slow and couples coming up from behind who do not always care to ask to be allowed to go through, are often irritated beyond measure as they wait for four balls to be played through the green in front of them, and eight putts are taken on the putting green. The constant waiting puts them off their game and spoils their day.

And he goes on to go through how things get even slower and more confused when playing a four ball match - players in a pair working out what best to do; balls being mark and lifted ('continual lifting and replacing') etc.

Plus ca change. Vardon may have been thinking this over one hundred years ago - and he is of course right as we continue to think the same today :)

I'll add - he also admits that the fourball game has it's merits...however...

His book as a very interesting read for those interested in how the game was back in the day. But on this topic

See Chapter XVII - On Foursomes

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Q4NFDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA219&lpg=PA219&dq=what+did+harry+vardon+think+about+four+ball+golf&source=bl&ots=jOWz1gPq68&sig=ACfU3U3tAUjFASuI1q9A3aX3UtwJ9BKk7Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjc08urjMLpAhXONcAKHX8pAE0Q6AEwDnoECA8QAQ#v=onepage&q=what did harry vardon think about four ball golf&f=false

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Sadly doesn't solve it completely, wife/son left after 14 holes of a lot of waiting yesterday with 10 minute times. Still slow.

Its not always the total time taken, but the flow that is important to how it feels out on the course.

I thought Trevose has an interesting tee system, 2 ball golf upto 9am(could be remembering wrong with the timings!) and then 4 ball golf.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would vote for that.
I'd often thought it was a bit quaint that some more traditional clubs have a 2ball (incl 4somes) rule in place, but now I've seen it in action, I can see why they do it.
Having said that, I love playing with a group of mates, so while thinking that some windows during the week for 2balls might be a good thing, I'd never want to be a member at a club where I couldn't play as a 4 ball.